LOL Wichita | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LOL Wichita

Even if they lose to a team like Kentucky, I think it's unfair to say that Wichita is overrated. At the end of the day, it's one game. I feel like Wichita is one of the top 5 teams in the country no matter what happens. They proved themselves with their run last year, and then going undefeated this year.

I agree. Given how the NCAA screwed them yesterday I am now a Shockers fan. If SU can't win it all then I hope WS runs the table.

Well, they would have played Texas this year if Rick Barnes hadn't allowed his squad to lose to BYU and they played Tennessee, which has been decent some years, but yeah, a team like Wichita St. can only schedule what the other teams say they will play. I've heard they want home and homes and not just be treated like Eastern Michigan is by us every year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...not-be-scheduling-games-against-wichita-state

yep. I listened to Marshall last night and he said they tried hard to do home and homes even agreeing to play off campus at a 14000 seat arena in Wichita and could not get any takers.

Already Wichita State is negotiating with several BCS schools to start home-and-home series next season, now that Marshall said his team is “getting to the point where we would be considered a quality loss.”
Therein lies the scheduling dilemma for mid-major programs. As we’ll soon see, the media celebrate heightened parity in men’s college basketball when marketing the NCAA tournament. Yet it remains difficult for dangerous teams from mid-level conferences to land the sort of high-profile, rating-enriching matchups that bolster resumes in March. Getting the big boys to visit a place like Wichita State, which routinely fills 10,506-seat Charles Koch Arena, is even more difficult. “We all as coaches have this innate gene – we want to keep our job,” Marshall said understandingly. “It’s called self-preservation.”
The sole ACC school that’s shown interest in taking on Wichita State, according to Marshall, is Wake Forest. “To be honest with you, we don’t think they’re good enough,” he said. “They don’t help our schedule.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ant-blame-basketball-teams.html#storylink=cpy

I don't think they will get past kentucky
Kentucky is going to have trouble winning their first game I wouldn't ahve them upsetting the Shockers so easily.

Wichita State played @Alabama this year in a home/home and doesn't think Wake Forest is worthy? What kind of elitist mind does Gregg Marshall have? Wake Forest is well above Alabama on the hardwood even with their past 4 years. Dino Gaudio had Wake Forest #1 in 2009 that isn't that long ago.

Again, how do you propose a team like Wichita St. does this? As said many times before, it serves no purpose for the big guys to play a team that made the final 4 in the OOC schedule. Think Kansas wanted any piece of them this year? If they win, great, you were supposed to beat a team like the Shockers from that weak conference. If they lose, even if WSU makes the final 4 again, it will be construed as a bad loss somehow.
Look at Butler and VCU the years they made it to the final four! MAJOR OOC teams on both of their schedules. There is zero excuse for how WSU schedules. Good for them that they made it in. Now let's see.

Wolves get shot by hunters

wolf.jpg

I agree. Given how the NCAA screwed them yesterday I am now a Shockers fan. If SU can't win it all then I hope WS runs the table.

Not me. Their coach is an arrogant fool. He really does not carry himself with any class.

Already Wichita State is negotiating with several BCS schools to start home-and-home series next season, now that Marshall said his team is “getting to the point where we would be considered a quality loss.”
Therein lies the scheduling dilemma for mid-major programs. As we’ll soon see, the media celebrate heightened parity in men’s college basketball when marketing the NCAA tournament. Yet it remains difficult for dangerous teams from mid-level conferences to land the sort of high-profile, rating-enriching matchups that bolster resumes in March. Getting the big boys to visit a place like Wichita State, which routinely fills 10,506-seat Charles Koch Arena, is even more difficult. “We all as coaches have this innate gene – we want to keep our job,” Marshall said understandingly. “It’s called self-preservation.”
The sole ACC school that’s shown interest in taking on Wichita State, according to Marshall, is Wake Forest. “To be honest with you, we don’t think they’re good enough,” he said. “They don’t help our schedule.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...ant-blame-basketball-teams.html#storylink=cpy
That article is a joke by the way it critizes our non-conference schedule while defending Wichita State's.
We played
Villanova
@St. John's
Indiana
Maui Baylor, California, Minnesota
Wichita State played
@Alabama
@St. Louis
Tennessee
BYU, DePaul

I guess Wichita State's schedule was tougher what a bleeping joke Jacobs is.

That article is a joke by the way it critizes our non-conference schedule while defending Wichita State's.
We played
Villanova
@St. John's
Indiana
Maui Baylor, California, Minnesota
Wichita State played
@Alabama
@St. Louis
Tennessee
BYU, DePaul

I guess Wichita State's schedule was tougher what a bleeping joke Jacobs is.

He really was only criticizing our home schedule. But, if you look at your list I think it could be argued either way. We faced 2 NCAA teams, they faced 3. We faced 3 NIT teams, they faced none. We had one opponent not selected for either, they had two. Probably tilts to us a bit, but we have a lot more scheduling power than a team like Wichita St. which is my only point.

He really was only criticizing our home schedule. But, if you look at your list I think it could be argued either way. We faced 2 NCAA teams, they faced 3. We faced 3 NIT teams, they faced none. We had one opponent not selected for either, they had two. Probably tilts to us a bit, but we have a lot more scheduling power than a team like Wichita St. which is my only point.
How about the fact Marshall is saying Wake Forest isn't good enough for him when he played Tennessee and Alabama home/home from the SEC. Tennessee is a legit team year in and out, but they aren't that much better than Wake Forest if you ask me.

Marshall should play any power team home/home just to get their teams in his building and take a 1 time neutral site game if it would help his team. He acts like 1 Final Four makes him a legit power team.

Last edited:
Well, they would have played Texas this year if Rick Barnes hadn't allowed his squad to lose to BYU and they played Tennessee, which has been decent some years, but yeah, a team like Wichita St. can only schedule what the other teams say they will play. I've heard they want home and homes and not just be treated like Eastern Michigan is by us every year.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...not-be-scheduling-games-against-wichita-state

VT they demanded home and home with the big boys and then cried fowl when they didn't get them. Its disingenuous every time there coach says no one would play them. Yes Texas losing hurt them from getting one better neutral site game but their coach acts like he did all he could and that is complete BS. You aren't getting home n home with Kansas or any of the other top 25 BCS schools not even Gonzaga gets those. Still he could have played better competition if they wanted to go on the road or get some road followed by neutral the following season. He did not which again is fine but his claiming no one would play him makes me laugh. No BCS school is going to play a MVC team that is demanding to dictate the terms.

Last edited:
yep. I listened to Marshall last night and he said they tried hard to do home and homes even agreeing to play off campus at a 14000 seat arena in Wichita and could not get any takers.

Then swallow your pride and agree to a one off. Gonzaga built its program and no one complains about its schedule. Butler had strong OOC schedules. Wichita talks about sheep and wolves, gets a #1 seed that many don't feel it has earned and then its fans whine about "getting screwed." BS - they want to be a "wolf" let them earn it. If they get through this bracket no one will question them.

No he demanded home n home with the big guys and nobody in his situation gets those. He's pretending he tried when in reality he asked for something he knew he wouldn't get. I'm more bothered by his representation of it than anything. The schedule is what it is but his claims and excuses are ridiculous when you actually consider them.

He is ridiculous. Mid's have to go on the road or play nuetrals to get these games it is what it is. If he is going to poo poo Wake which is a team he might get a home n home with how can he say he's really out to play anyone. He is asking for what he can't have and then crying about it. My problem is his misrepresentation of it and then his expectation of what they SHOULD get more so than the schedule itself.

Wake Forest before Buzz was an NCAA team in 2009 and 2010 with Dino Gaudio. They beat Texas in 2010 before losing to #1 seed Kentucky. In 2009, they were a 4 seed before getting upset by Cleveland State.

Complaining that Wake Forest doesn't do enough for you is BS and cries I want Duke or Carolina home/home. That is crap. Wichita State hasn't even done what Gonzaga has done since 1999 where they have made the tourney every year and they still don't get the big dogs to play them home/home.

I wouldn't be shocked if Wichita State vs. Kentucky is a pick 'em when it tips in Las Vegas. At worst it will be Wichita State maybe -2.

VT they demanded home and home with the big boys and then cried fowl when they didn't get them. Its disingenuous every time there coach says no one would play them. Yes Texas losing hurt them from getting one better neutral site game but their coach acts like he did all he could and that is complete BS. You aren't getting home n home with Kansas or any of the other top 25 BCS schools not even Gonzaga gets those. Still he could have played better competition if they wanted to go on the road or get some road followed by neutral the following season. He did not which again is fine but his claiming no one would play him makes me laugh. No BCS school is going to play a MVC team that is demanding to dictate the terms.

Then guys like JB and Bill Self better stop whining when their weak out of conference schedule keeps getting brought up year after year (not necessarily this year, especially for Kansas - but you get my point).

Why would they go play a Wake Forest when teams in their league are just as good as Wake? That's the excuse JB used to make with the Big East (better conference, but again, the point is valid). By the way, the big boys being pansies is why the Zags and Butler had to sign their own home and home. So what are powerful mid-majors supposed to do if the big boys won't agree to come and play on their courts? Their only option is to travel to the Dome in December to play SU if JB will agree to it? Seems like the rich protecting their riches to me.

Then guys like JB and Bill Self better stop whining when their weak out of conference schedule keeps getting brought up year after year (not necessarily this year, especially for Kansas - but you get my point).

Why would they go play a Wake Forest when teams in their league are just as good as Wake? That's the excuse JB used to make with the Big East (better conference, but again, the point is valid). By the way, the big boys being pansies is why the Zags and Butler had to sign their own home and home. So what are powerful mid-majors supposed to do if the big boys won't agree to come and play on their courts? Their only option is to travel to the Dome in December to play SU if JB will agree to it? Seems like the rich protecting their riches to me.
Wow, no respect for Wake Forest's history. I mean that program has two of the current all-time greats right now in the NBA. Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. Jeff Bzidelik was a bad hire after they canned Dino Gaudio, but Wake will make the tournament more times in the next decade than Wichita State is my prediction.

The Shockers conference is not good and they aren't on Gonzaga's level yet for high level recruits. Wake Forest is a good home/home for Wichita State they aren't Alabama who they played this year. Marshall could get home/homes from mid-power teams like Iowa State, Illinois, Oklahoma, Texas A&M type schools, but he isn't getting Kansas, Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, Florida, Duke like he is acting he deserves.

Wow, no respect for Wake Forest's history. I mean that program has two of the current all-time greats right now in the NBA. Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. Jeff Bzidelik was a bad hire after they canned Dino Gaudio, but Wake will make the tournament more times in the next decade than Wichita State is my prediction.

The Shockers conference is not good and they aren't on Gonzaga's level yet for high level recruits. Wake Forest is a good home/home for Wichita State they aren't Alabama who they played this year. Marshall could get home/homes from mid-power teams like Iowa State, Illinois, Oklahoma, Texas A&M type schools, but he isn't getting Kansas, Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, Florida, Duke like he is acting he deserves.

I have no idea how I became the board defender of WSU, because I really could care less, but do you really believe Wake will do anything now that SU, Pitt and Louisville soon will be in the same league. They will be perennial cellar dwellers as far as I can tell. And yeah, no respect for what they did in the past. St. John's used to be great as well, but Louie and Chris Mullen aren't walking through that door anytime soon.

If Marshall stays at Wichita, I'll take that bet regarding the number of times they make the tourney versus Wake. Easily.

I have no idea how I became the board defender of WSU, because I really could care less, but do you really believe Wake will do anything now that SU, Pitt and Louisville soon will be in the same league. They will be perennial cellar dwellers as far as I can tell. And yeah, no respect for what they did in the past. St. John's used to be great as well, but Louie and Chris Mullen aren't walking through that door anytime soon.

If Marshall stays at Wichita, I'll take that bet regarding the number of times they make the tourney versus Wake. Easily.
I respect your opinion, but your underrating Wake Forest and overrating Wichita State. However, we will see. Wake Forest's history isn't from the 1980's. Duncan was in the 1990s and Chris Paul was in the 2000s. They have potential and history.

I have said this a few times, and will say it again.

Wichita St schedules so it is treated fairly in the "Selection" process rather than the Seeding process. Loading up on road losses in years when they are average makes no sense. Your competitor's on the bubble get home games agianst power teams, and also have a leg up in OOC home games.

I think it is the right thing for them to do. At their program stature they can build a tourney worthy resume.

It just so happens that they are really good this year, and the schedule could not back up a #1 seed. Right philosophy for them, but it limits yourself in terms of validation as a #1 seed team.

But let's be honest, while they will not say it, multiple #1 seeds is not a realistic goal long term.

And going forward after this year they should get a little bit more what they want in terms of schedule.

Is there any reason 5 programs could not get together for something similar to a "Philly Five" arrangement for 3 years. You will get an equal amount of home/road games.

Gonzaga, Wichita St, Creighton, UConn, VCU

Any reason that would not be good for all these programs? Perhaps have a few of the games in January and February?

With all the crap coming into the AAC, UConn really needs to step up it schedule. It will probably see joining such teams as an insult and would pass up on a great opportunity.

Someone else made a really good point. If Wichita State makes it to at least the elite 8 or final four then they validate their number 1 seed and no one will ever criticize them again. If they fall in the S16 or round of 32 all they did was prove everyone right.

they are free to schedule whomever they please. but until they take off the kiddy gloves they'll just have to listen my lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom