Looking to turn my hobby into a small business... | Syracusefan.com

Looking to turn my hobby into a small business...

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
Hey all,

I'm sure you've seen my pictures scattered throughout Syracusefan.com. I just wanted to gauge you guys (and gals) to see if their would be interest in having me do pro-quality, custom photoshops for $10-25 dollars a piece. This price is definitely a bargain compared to the hourly rate we charge clients at my agency.

At first, I would be doing the photoshops myself.

However, my ultimate goal is to get my graphic-guru friends involved as well, offering them a chance to make some money for pieces that they would otherwise be doing for fun. I would give them 90% of the commission while keeping 10% for myself for brokering the deal.

I'm getting way ahead of myself though.

So, is there any interest?

I'd be interested if you're ready for some ridiculous requests

Hey all,

I'm sure you've seen my pictures scattered throughout Syracusefan.com. I just wanted to gauge you guys (and gals) to see if their would be interest in having me do pro-quality, custom photoshops for $10-25 dollars a piece. This price is definitely a bargain compared to the hourly rate we charge clients at my agency.

However, my ultimate goal is to get my graphic-guru friends involved as well, offering them a chance to make some money for pieces that they would otherwise be doing for fun. I would give them 90% of the commission while keeping 10% for myself for brokering the deal.

I'm sure I'll come up with something lol.

For everyone interested, a while ago I sent Lawrinson one of my friends engagement photos. I thought it would be funny to add me into the picture. It took him a half hour, and he apologized for "not his best work, rush job". Thing turned out amazing, My buddy and his ol lady loved it.

Let me know if you want a few $$ for making that happen for me buddy.

Hey all,

Seems like a smart idea.

Just saw a team photo of '98 Yankees with '27 Yankees team photoshopped below.
Very nice piece.
Person paid $20 for it.

I'd be interested if you're ready for some ridiculous requests

Bring. It. On.

Seriously though, I enjoy comping up unique requests. Send me a PM with what you are thinking.

Bring. It. On.

Seriously though, I enjoy comping up unique requests. Send me a PM with what you are thinking.

Don't have anything yet, but I'm in a fraternity so something ridiculous and awesome will be in the works.

I personally would not be interested but that is due to a lack of need. May I reccomend a company called Odesk. They are a site that aligns companies needing jobs done and freelancers. May be a good place to get started.

I can't think of anything right this minute, but I will inevitably need something, and that is well within the price range that I would consider acceptable. You will be the first person I think of whenever I need something. Best of luck--and thanks for all of the great, creative work this past season. I wish you enormous success.

I asked nicely for one several weeks ago. You said "yes" and didn't come through. I hope your service would be better for $$$$.

Kidding aside... Your work is great!

Hey all,

I'm looking for Patrick Ewing's head on a woman's bikini. Oh, that one's been done. Darn it.

Bring. It. On.

I want one where if you look at it from different sides of the monitor it appears like I am dancing. Can you do anything like that?

Dude, you'd become a small business owner. How great is that?

If be interested and will come up with something. My brother used to he real good at it bit only did it for personal fun. He did one the last time the yanks won the world series and took the pic of their on field celebration at the pitchers mound and cut in his 2 young kids. Could not tell it was photoshopped and looked like they were really part of the celebration.

I'd like a sort of Syracuse themed logo/image with Tennessee integrated.
1. New York State with Tennessee in the place of Long Island. Have this be orange with Syracuse block 'S' placed somewhere.
2. Tennessee 3 star flag map with Syracuse logo mixed in - haven't completely thought this through yet...Maybe an orange flag with cuse s mixed in?
580_TN_Orange_Flag_grande_grande.jpg

Postcard format would be nice for our alumni group here as well as the logo. I can PayPal but I need a firm idea first.

Last edited:
I might need something with a duck, but not yet. I will keep you in mind for fun gifts for people. I think you are very talented.

Hey all,

I like the idea and would use it. Price point is good. BTW I think a 10 percent commission is far too low. I think at least 30 percent is realistic. Finding customers for any business is the hardest part. That is why successful salespeople are paid so much. Have you done research to see what is already available as it seems like something that would already be done. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think this could potentially be a fun side business. Seriously, PM me if you have something in mind.

Sorry Jvbj01, I have been super busy lately. Started a new (real) job and am in the process of moving. I think these photoshops are just the thing to get my mind off the other stuff.