Looks Like This Will Drag On... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks Like This Will Drag On...

How much has espn said the words Doug Marrone and Syracuse in the last week? Every single kid that plays football watches espn and has heard more about Syracuse and Doug in the last week than they ever have. This is good publicity and i think its all a plan to get more people in the know. Smart move in my opinion...for all we know they told the current players this already and there is not a single thing to worry about. Relax.
How much has espn said the words Doug Marrone and Syracuse in the last week? Every single kid that plays football watches espn and has heard more about Syracuse and Doug in the last week than they ever have. This is good publicity and i think its all a plan to get more people in the know. Smart move in my opinion...for all we know they told the current players this already and there is not a single thing to worry about. Relax.

Yeah, and they have heard that is not committed to SU. You don't take five or six interviews - Doug has told his agent to market him aggressively. He is gone or will be gone.

I really hope Brian Kelly and/or Nick Saban go to the NFL. Im sick of having the only college HC this side of Chip Kelly mentioned with NFL teams and I doubt 3 college coaches get NFL jobs this year.

We are not Oregon or Alabama or PSU for that matter.

Which is why he is still interviewing if we were those places they would have facilities and money for coaches etc or offered it to him now to keep him

If Doug wants a head coaching job in the NFL then he needs to go, either get a job now or go back as a head co-ordinator. Syracuse doesn't need a Head Coach who is going to be interviewing every year for a job. I which him well but for the university time to move on, name our defensive coach Head coach and go from there, keep rest of staff and let the recruits know we are moving on.

how many interviews did shiano take?what about harbaugh ? kelly?
seems to me most of the college guys didnt take a half dozen interviews- they got the first or second-
marrone wants out-
imho this wouldnt be such a cluster fudge if some communication came from the university

Kelly interviewed last year as well...he was rumored to be signed sealed and delivered to the Bucs then backed out. These guys are all encouraged to talk as many NFL HC interviews as possible..assts, college guys, fired guys...

At this point HCDM is holding TGD hostage to some degree.

I trust that TGD will have interviewees lined up, as well as an offer for HCDM, as soon as HCDM's future is determined. Hopefully things will be clearer by Wednesday. At some point there won't be anything for HCDM to come back to.

If this drags out beyond the weekend, we need to move on without DM. I want him back, but at some point, the uncertainty has to stop.
This might drag out for another month. Assistants from teams playing in the playoffs can't talk till after their team is finished. If a hot assistant is on a super bowl team they can't talk till the OFF week before the Super Bowl. If Doug is up for a job in SD or Philly or Buffalo and that team wants to talk to a coach like that this might go on till late Jan or early Feb .

This process has just begun.

At this point HCDM is holding TGD hostage to some degree.

I trust that TGD will have interviewees lined up, as well as an offer for HCDM, as soon as HCDM's future is determined. Hopefully things will be clearer by Wednesday. At some point there won't be anything for HCDM to come back to.

Might not be a bad idea for TGD to give DM a deadline for his decision - the program can't be left in limbo while DM chases his new dream.

Ive done the kettlefilled with pot yea...wait..are you making fun of me cause im black? What a racist post.

If this drags out beyond the weekend, we need to move on without DM. I want him back, but at some point, the uncertainty has to stop.
Absolutely agree. This got really old 2-3 days ago and shows no sign of abating. I've been a big Marrone supporter since the beginning but am really, really dumfounded by the lack of class he's showing. If he's so enamored by the NFL he should resign and take his chances in the job market.

This might drag out for another month. Assistants from teams playing in the playoffs can't talk till after their team is finished. If a hot assistant is on a super bowl team they can't talk till the OFF week before the Super Bowl. If Doug is up for a job in SD or Philly or Buffalo and that team wants to talk to a coach like that this might go on till late Jan or early Feb .

This process has just begun.
I thought that changed and they can be interviewed.

I thought that changed and they can be interviewed.
Not the way I understand it. Hasn't changed. They can only be interviewed if there team doesn't have a game that week. So, this past week assistants for NE, Den, SF, and Atl could interview. Come next week they can't.

Absolutely agree. This got really old 2-3 days ago and shows no sign of abating. I've been a big Marrone supporter since the beginning but am really, really dumfounded by the lack of class he's showing. If he's so enamored by the NFL he should resign and take his chances in the job market.
That is not how this works. It has been 5 freaking days people. 5 days. Last time you were part of an interview process, how long was it before you were hired? My guess, at least this long, and lets be honest you weren't negotiating multimillion dollar a year contracts.

By the end of next week (if not sooner) DM will be left out of the interview process and he will return to SU

Not the way I understand it. Hasn't changed. They can only be interviewed if there team doesn't have a game that week. So, this past week assistants for NE, Den, SF, and Atl could interview. Come next week they can't.
Ok, that makes sense as a bye week thing.

That is not how this works. It has been 5 freaking days people. 5 days. Last time you were part of an interview process, how long was it before you were hired? My guess, at least this long, and lets be honest you weren't negotiating multimillion dollar a year contracts.

By the end of next week (if not sooner) DM will be left out of the interview process and he will return to SU
Disagree and I've worked on some very senior executive contracts. Look, presumably DM has a contract that says he can interview and it is not grounds for termination. So he very publicly looks for a job with multiple NFL organizations knowing he can fall back on SU (or the situation gets so miserable SU has to pay to terminate the contract). That all works legally but you can't tell me that dragging SU and the fb program through this for weeks shows any class. Of course we don't know if it will be weeks because DM's not talking.
This should have been one of the greatest weeks for SU football in many years. Instead we're all held hostage to DM's latest dream.

I'm starting to move left of center on how long to allow this to drag out before canning him. It's not fair to the program or the kids. He hasn't earned the right to keep the program in limbo this long. So what we have to wait another week before we know if we have to start a new coaching search?

Really hope the contingency plan is being put into place.

I don't like the fact that we appear to be plan B for him at this point.

For those of you who post that your upset he's been interviewing for 5 - 6 teams, it's hard to take anything you say after that seriously. He's interviewed for 2 teams so far, big difference between 2 and 5. If he ends up interviewing for 5 - 6 teams then complain about taking that many interviews.

This year is just a crazy year in the NFL, that is part of the problem. There are so many openings so once his name got thrown in the ring for 1 - 2 teams all of the other teams said, hey we might need to do our due diligence and make sure were not missing something here. If he was called to interview last year, he would have only been contacted by a couple of teams.

This whole thing is looking worse than it normally would because it has continued to snowball because of the amount of teams looking.

If he ends up deciding to get an NFL job, so what? It sucks but personally it's a hell of a lot better than leaving and going to Tennessee to coach a different college team. That I would have taken a little more as a slap in the face.

I have to believe that SU is more than PR savvy enough not to fire ANY coach who interviews, particularly for a pro level job. Those of you who are offended by the thought of him interviewing or, even worse, suggesting that he should be fired for drawing this out, are probably going to be disappointed.

TGD already made the perfect PR comment when he stated that they are not surprised that DM is drawing interest from the NFL. DM is an honorable man and I am positive that TGD knows exactly where he stands in all this. The thinking man's approach would be to quietly have contingency plans in place behind the scenes, and to publicly laud DM for the great job he has done.

DM has earned the right to do whatever he feels in his best interest. Let's let this play out before we tar and feather him.

Might not be a bad idea for TGD to give DM a deadline for his decision - the program can't be left in limbo while DM chases his new dream.
This is a great idea actually. HCDM has to wrap this up soon or at least commit one way or the other

I have to believe that SU is more than PR savvy enough not to fire ANY coach who interviews, particularly for a pro level job. Those of you who are offended by the thought of him interviewing or, even worse, suggesting that he should be fired for drawing this out, are probably going to be disappointed.

TGD already made the perfect PR comment when he stated that they are not surprised that DM is drawing interest from the NFL. DM is an honorable man and I am positive that TGD knows exactly where he stands in all this. The thinking man's approach would be to quietly have contingency plans in place behind the scenes, and to publicly laud DM for the great job he has done.

DM has earned the right to do whatever he feels in his best interest. Let's let this play out before we tar and feather him.
As I stated before My only problem with the situation is Doug is the one who says to his players honesty, accepting responsibility, doing the right thing. Its a good thing to be thought enough of to be interviewed, but when honesty, responsibility, etc are important in your life you need to acknowledge you are interviewing not be silent.

Add da Bears to the list...

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora
In addition to this week's scheduled meetings with the Eagles and Chargers, sounds like the Bears may talk to Doug Marrone as well

Let's see...the Bears would make 5 NFL teams that are interested in talking to (i.e. interviewing) Doug Marrone. Would have been six if Andy Reid had declined the Chiefs' offer. Seems like a lot of NFL GMs think HCDM did an OK job at Syracuse. I think that speaks well of the Syracuse program as well as Marrone and should be a long-term plus even if we will take a short-term hit if Doug is hired.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/j...rone-lines-up-interviews-with-chargers-eagles