Lost in the Offense and Defense talk from Pitt game | Syracusefan.com

Lost in the Offense and Defense talk from Pitt game

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Special teams was brutal. Missed two extra points and every kickoff was either out of bounds or hold your breath

Special teams was brutal. Missed two extra points and every kickoff was either out of bounds or hold your breath
I think Cole kicked off the first two times, then Hof replaced him.

Neither distinguished themselves.

Cole did not have a good junior year at PK. Will have to improve if he wants the PK job as a senior.

Hof again did a good job punting. I thought he had a great frosh year punting; maybe the best any frosh punter has ever had at Syracuse.

Riley struggled again returning KOs. Can't get caught inside the 10 yard line. Have to make people miss or break a tackle occasionally. I would assume both return jobs will be open for 2017.

Cole did not have a good junior year at PK. Will have to improve if he wants the PK job as a senior.

Hof again did a good job punting. I thought he had a great frosh year punting; maybe the best any frosh punter has ever had at Syracuse.

Riley struggled again returning KOs. Can't get caught inside the 10 yard line. Have to make people miss or break a tackle occasionally. I would assume both return jobs will be open for 2017.

Murph had 8 kickoffs, Hof had 2. Each attempted 1 on-side kick.

when you kick every kick to the corner the margin for error will be much smaller. he misses by 5 yds and its OB, just like my golf game

when you kick every kick to the corner the margin for error will be much smaller. he misses by 5 yds and its OB, just like my golf game
Henderson, the Pitt KO return guy, finished 5th in the country in KO returns and had 3 for TDs. The staff might have instructed the kickers to do this on purpose.

NCAA Statistics

More options for us next year of the RBs and WRs come in that we hope for.

Murphy's double-kick on the onside attempt was...strange. Also, it looked like he kicked his teammate pretty hard.

they have some work to do on onside kicks.

One went 8 yards, the other went about 20.

How many different onside kicks do we have? If it's a known onside kick, used to be just line everyone up to one side, kick the oblong ball and hope for the best. That's the one playcall we forgot.

I think people are a little tough on Riley. He probably shouldn't be out there since he weighs about 125 lbs. But I don't think anyone on the team can cut and take the first quick step like him. There's just nowhere for him to go. Happens to the best of them.

KO returner isn't really a dance and break tackles position the way Punt returner is. Of which Estime is brilliant at. KO return is more about seeing the lane and having the straight away speed. We just don't have many lanes.

My only worry with Riley is that he doesn't have top end speed out in the open. He broke a couple this year where he was caught because he couldn't run away. Need to find that guy.

One went 8 yards, the other went about 20.

How many different onside kicks do we have? If it's a known onside kick, used to be just line everyone up to one side, kick the oblong ball and hope for the best. That's the one playcall we forgot.
you cant do that anymore.

I think people are a little tough on Riley. He probably shouldn't be out there since he weighs about 125 lbs. But I don't think anyone on the team can cut and take the first quick step like him. There's just nowhere for him to go. Happens to the best of them.

KO returner isn't really a dance and break tackles position the way Punt returner is. Of which Estime is brilliant at. KO return is more about seeing the lane and having the straight away speed. We just don't have many lanes.

My only worry with Riley is that he doesn't have top end speed out in the open. He broke a couple this year where he was caught because he couldn't run away. Need to find that guy.
when he had room he had pretty good speed. but he only had the room 2-3 times all year

you cant do that anymore.

I just caught myself up on the rules. Had no idea how much they tweak that.

How long before the ball is immediately placed at the 25 after all TDs?

Shy. Verified sub-4.5 speed.

Henderson, the Pitt KO return guy, finished 5th in the country in KO returns and had 3 for TDs. The staff might have instructed the kickers to do this on purpose.

NCAA Statistics
Shows a lack of confidence from the staff with the KO coverage team.

Agree that the special teams play must be upgraded and when was the last time the Cuse had great special teams throughout the season?

Shy. Verified sub-4.5 speed.

Maybe they should move him to safety. We looked like we were dragging pianos trying to chase Pitt all over the field.

There were many times where he had 5 blockers vs 3 Pitt guys, and they would either run through the blockers, or he would run into them ... what made it worse was the fact that the side we had blockers vs attackers, had he got through that, there was no one to catch him beyond that

There were many times where he had 5 blockers vs 3 Pitt guys, and they would either run through the blockers, or he would run into them ... what made it worse was the fact that the side we had blockers vs attackers, had he got through that, there was no one to catch him beyond that
Maddening. No feel for the game.

Biggest issue I have with Riley is that he needs to learn when to take a knee. When you're 4-5 yards deep in the end zone on the road, take the damn knee.

I don't hold his physical readiness against him because that is a reflection of the lack of quality depth on the team.

I would be floored if Murphy is our placekicker next year. I think the signs are there that we're going in a different direction if you read the recruiting tea leaves.

Talking bout Murphy and field goals, he had a problem kicking on the road. One thing to note though is last year he had 7 attempts inside the 30 yard line , this year we opted to go on 4th down so he had no attempts inside the 30. He made a 55 and 49yd fg this year. He needs to improve his accuracy outside in the elements since our philosophy has changed and we're only going to attempt longer field goals both in the dome and on the road.

Those onside kicks ... weren't there three in total? Two did not make it ten yards, the other one went 15-20. It must be tough to execute a good onside kick but these were not close to allowing us a chance at recovery. All three qualified as the worst I saw in college football this season.

Those onside kicks ... weren't there three in total? Two did not make it ten yards, the other one went 15-20. It must be tough to execute a good onside kick but these were not close to allowing us a chance at recovery. All three qualified as the worst I saw in college football this season.

One had a fighting chance if Avant didn't fully extend to get a couple fingers on the ball...8 yards from the line.

He was talked about as a potential transfer. That'd be an unfortunate last touch in a Syracuse jersey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom