Lou Marcoccia Announces His Retirement as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer | Syracusefan.com

Lou Marcoccia Announces His Retirement as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
As executive vice president and chief financial officer over the last decade, Dr. Louis Marcoccia presided over unprecedented growth, leading a team that has kept Syracuse University's finances strong. Now, after more than 40 total years of service to his alma mater, Dr. Marcoccia, a 1968 graduate, has announced he will retire from the University. He will conclude his tenure at Syracuse University on June 30...

Syracuse University News » » After More Than 40 Years of Service to the University, Dr. Louis G. Marcoccia Announces His Retirement as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer; Interim Successor Appointed

Wow. That's fairly big news. Lou is an institution up there. And it's also quite odd that he'd announce his retirement June 15 effective June 30. Normally these things have a bunch of lead time. Wonder if his contract wasn't renewed or if he had a disagreement with the Chancellor about something. Or maybe the announcement just became public.

Last edited:
Wow. That's fairly big news. Lou is an institution up there. And it's also quite odd that he'd announce his retirement June 15 effective June 30. Normally these things have a bunch of lead time. Wonder if his contract wasn't renewed or if he had a disagreement with the Chancellor about something. Or maybe the announcement just became public.
I'm thinking it's that

He's 70 years old give or take a year.

As executive vice president and chief financial officer over the last decade, Dr. Louis Marcoccia presided over unprecedented growth, leading a team that has kept Syracuse University's finances strong. Now, after more than 40 total years of service to his alma mater, Dr. Marcoccia, a 1968 graduate, has announced he will retire from the University. He will conclude his tenure at Syracuse University on June 30...

Syracuse University News » » After More Than 40 Years of Service to the University, Dr. Louis G. Marcoccia Announces His Retirement as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer; Interim Successor Appointed

I met him when I was in undergrad concerning the hockey program; very affable guy.

Perhaps someone more in the know can jump in, but the last I'd heard from a friend that works on the finance side of the university, SU's finances after Cantor were a disaster.

I met him when I was in undergrad concerning the hockey program; very affable guy.

Perhaps someone more in the know can jump in, but the last I'd heard from a friend that works on the finance side of the university, SU's finances after Cantor were a disaster.

Disaster is the same word I've heard used to describe them. I've also heard from a few people that the expectation is that a lot more people will be leaving SU this summer than last. Not sure if it's contracts expiring or what, but we'll find out soon enough.

Sounded from Floyd Little's announcement that a severance package for 2016 was offered to employees, with decisions needed by 2015 years' end. Actual dates to leave probably varied depending on training, dept deadlines, fiscal year end wrap ups etc.

maybe it was the business proposal I recently sent him (again, but cc'd Kent S this time) that he flatly rejected (again) that could be a very viable alternate way to finance some of the dome and/or other framework improvements

on to the next guy, lol
cheerleader-108.gif