Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth

It was definitely strange in that you don’t often hear an announcer be so critical of a player or team, even if they’re valid points. And doesn't Seth mostly do studio work? With us being so far removed from the Top 25 I doubt he’s had to watch us very closely. Is he just watching us in his down time? Did he really get all of that on his flight in? I’m not saying Red fed him lines, because I don’t get what his incentive would be - Why would you tell the PBP guy all the ways you don’t like your team so that he can put your guys on blast in front of the whole country?

But overall I’m in favor of making fans smarter, which it seems like Seth did here. I guess I just didn’t expect it from him since he’s usually more complimentary in general.

Relatedly, I live in Big 12 country where Fran Fraschilla has called tons of games over the years - So many that Kansas fans I work with complain that he knows their tendencies so well that he “coaches” the other team on how to beat them through his PBP calls instead of feathering their nuts like most announcers do.

Coaches always stick up for coaches. JB was ranting and raving about how great of a job Shrewsberry has done this year getting 7 wins for Notre Dame.
I mean maybe but the talking heads during these broadcasts, former coaches or otherwise, typically go out of their way to not be at all negative about players. Greenberg's came off as indictment of the entire team, including the philosophy/coaching - like "I love Red, but his team needs a whole bunch of work"

(and I've never been much of a Greenberg fan)

Some posters on here like to dismiss Copeland’s potential as the starting PG next season. I think Greenberg’s comments show that Q’s upside is big. He’s a highlight reel waiting to happen and sees the court so well, but he too still has a lot to learn. I hope between him and Chance, who’s a very good passer and distributor, we should be fine at PG next season.
Yeah, I also found it interesting that Greenberg said that all Copeland is missing right now is more of an ability to make shots... he needs to be able to score more. Then he went on to say that he's making them in practice, it just needs to translate to games more. At the time, I didn't think much about that comment. However now, it's obvious that he knows this because he's chatted with Red more than once about the team.

I don't know about others, but it was the first time that I can remember listening to a commentator who was confirming what most of us have been saying all year - and he did it ALL game. He gets it. Red gets it. Some players do, some don't. It will be interesting to see next year and beyond how Red forces/requires his players to step in line with his vision (more than what is happening now).

I mean maybe but the talking heads during these broadcasts, former coaches or otherwise, typically go out of their way to not be at all negative about players. Greenberg's came off as indictment of the entire team, including the philosophy/coaching - like "I love Red, but his team needs a whole bunch of work"

(and I've never been much of a Greenberg fan)
I was at the game so I can only comment based on second hand information which made it sound like some of these guys are a bit uncoachable.

Yeah I know it's what everyone wanted to hear. But the Announcer doing Coach PR shtick usually pisses me off if we're being honest and it's not about us. Vitale was the worst at it. It was NEVER K's fault, ever.
The first reaction in the game thread was that Greenberg is dumb and who cares what he thinks

We haven't gotten to the part where people realize that autry must be dumb for sounding (through Greenberg) like the bad posters

The first reaction in the game thread was that Greenberg is dumb and who cares what he thinks

We haven't gotten to the part where people realize that autry must be dumb for sounding (through Greenberg) like the bad posters
Well, Greenberg is dumb. He was a lousy coach who's wrong frequently on TV.

Coaches always stick up for coaches. JB was ranting and raving about how great of a job Shrewsberry has done this year getting 7 wins for Notre Dame.

100%. Same deal as players generally sticking up/supporting fellow players, etc., etc. Birds of a feather...

Some posters on here like to dismiss Copeland’s potential as the starting PG next season. I think Greenberg’s comments show that Q’s upside is big. He’s a highlight reel waiting to happen and sees the court so well, but he too still has a lot to learn. I hope between him and Chance, who’s a very good passer and distributor, we should be fine at PG next season.

As another poster said on here when they talked to JB, and JB did some truth telling: Judah is a good player but he’s a very challenging kid to coach. Next season, if he comes back and listens, learns and implements what the coaches are telling him, he could be a very good player as a junior.
he"s not coming back, he'll be in the portal

He was spot on about Judah. He takes himself out of defensive position 5-6 times a game by going for stupid steals. He has no discipline playing defense and when he gets beat he just looks around like it‘s someone else‘s fault. It has to drive the coaches nuts. He is extremely hard to coach and play with. Good for Greenberg for calling it the way it is. I doubt it was by coincidence. He had “the talk.”
And your so called best player can't continually be doing those kinds of things.

He has done a great job. When I saw them in November, I didn’t think they could win five games. He has the playing hard and pretty good defense. Their freshman point guard is really good.

He has done a great job. When I saw them in November, I didn’t think they could win five games. He has the playing hard and pretty good defense. Their freshman point guard is really good.
and yet they're horrendous on offense and have a dismal record - not to say Red should necessarily be praised for where we are or how we're playing, but if ppl on here are going to praise another first-year coach (with significant previous HC experience) just because his team plays hard and offers up some decent resistance...

Last edited:
Seth was on the ball.. Red clearly sees it too. He doesn’t look like a coach who is going to rest on his laurels. Also pretty clear the staff is frustrated with Judah and his unwillingness to break bad habits.
Certainly no expert, I completely agree. He has absolutely no chance of playing the 2 in the NBA, if he did come back. I would hope he would transition into a 1 With a jump shot and court sense, I do not know. I would much rather have Q run the point. I hope Q develops some leadership skills, at the 1 next year. No matter who is on the team

It could be that he's been watching and rooting hard for red to succeed and getting upset. It was a little emotional for a color guy. I didn't really care and I agree with everything he said and I thought it was funny but it was definitely unusual
This is where I am as a fan, these guys are making me not give a thought about them, I want Red to succeed and this group and core is going to get him fired if they stick around.

He was spot on about Judah. He takes himself out of defensive position 5-6 times a game by going for stupid steals. He has no discipline playing defense and when he gets beat he just looks around like it‘s someone else‘s fault. It has to drive the coaches nuts. He is extremely hard to coach and play with. Good for Greenberg for calling it the way it is. I doubt it was by coincidence. He had “the talk.”
Add in the 5-6 times he sticks around to complain to the ref, the 3-4 times he’s on the ground and has to get back on D. It’s 15 times a game at the minimum that he is behind the 8 ball every game.

I was at the game so I can only comment based on second hand information which made it sound like some of these guys are a bit uncoachable.
Got that among much more from his comments.

Judah, prediction. His grandfather said somewhere on this forum that he wants to play for a "contender."
I think this is something that’s being taken out of context. If I’m thinking of the right post, he was arguing with people and said something along the lines of if we don’t appreciate him he should transfer. And I think that’s grown legs on here. He also said Cuse should have done a national search, that he’s not sure Red is a good in-game coach, Bell isn’t a good shooter. Last year he said Judah would be better in NC state’s system. If those things were coming from Judah I dont think he would post them here. He very well might transfer if he thinks he needs better teammates and a deep tourney run to get drafted, but we shouldn’t read into his grandfather’s fan board comments that he made when he was upset with posters’ criticisms.

Add in the 5-6 times he sticks around to complain to the ref, the 3-4 times he’s on the ground and has to get back on D. It’s 15 times a game at the minimum that he is behind the 8 ball every game.
Yeah, so many warts on Judah's game -- and yet, where would this team be without him. Not 10 f. wins. He is the one guy who draws extra attention from defenses. He is the one guy who gets 18 points or more, consistently. He is not perfect, obviously. But Judah, Brown, JJ are about all we got.

I like Seth, but as an analyst for a college bball game I thought he went way over the top and for too long.

I like Seth, but as an analyst for a college bball game I thought he went way over the top and for too long.
He absolutely did, that’s why I’d speculate what him and Red spoke about either before the game or throughout the year, I assume they speak enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom