Louisville Postgame Thoughts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Postgame Thoughts

You can live in a fantasy land, that’s fine. But that effort doesn’t win another game this year outside of maybe Notre Dame. Personally, I have higher expectations for guys making money at the 5th winningest program in college basketball history
If only more fans had such high personal standards...please keep up the whine thank you!!!

He has gotten much better very quickly.

He’s like a non-stoned Bill Walton. In a good way.
Listening to JB comment might be the only way to get me to watch a non Syracuse Duke game.

I can't stand the constant ball washing.

But JB would be fun.

So not sure if it was shown on TV, but early in the second half Ref was apoplectic after Bell failed to go after a rebound / loose ball near our defensive baseline. Took him out at the next stoppage. About a minute before he reinserted him he got in Bell’s face and screamed at him to rebound the ball.

To Bell’s credit, he battled much better in the final 8 minutes, grabbed some rebounds, blocked that huge shot.

Red also got in Carey’s mug about rebounding as well.
This. Plus the prior post on Seth spending time with Red. I give coach credit for not lashing out at the guys more. I think he wants to but also realizes he’s trying to get the most out of them. I think Autry may be starting out with the most difficult group to coach he will ever have.

I know folks complain we don’t run any offensive sets or don’t practice things. We do. But these guys…just don’t listen well. Or are all space cadets. It’s a weird group.

He's pretty self aware.

I know he checks out mentally on the court, but he seems coachable.
What did he say that seemed self aware? I heard mostly echoed coaches speak... I did like that he was more proud of his rebounds and block than his 8 made threes.

What stood out to you?

You brought in a new coach with misfit leftover parts. Give him time to get guys who :1) want to share the ball rather than play 1v 5;
2) who want to defend; 3) who care enough to rebound; 4) who have a freakin’ clue about game and clock management, 5) aren’t a locker room virus; 6) who don’t ignore him because they know he has no one else to play, 7) who gets recruited as a shooter who actually looks at the basket, 8) who get back on defense instead of chirp at the refs, the opponent or each other, 9) who aren’t so self important the would rather get points than wins.

Having a winning record with this group is an amazing feat.
He. Built. This. Team.

What is ball washing?
the big lebowski jesus quintana GIF

You brought in a new coach with misfit leftover parts. Give him time to get guys who :1) want to share the ball rather than play 1v 5;
2) who want to defend; 3) who care enough to rebound; 4) who have a freakin’ clue about game and clock management, 5) aren’t a locker room virus; 6) who don’t ignore him because they know he has no one else to play, 7) who gets recruited as a shooter who actually looks at the basket, 8) who get back on defense instead of chirp at the refs, the opponent or each other, 9) who aren’t so self important the would rather get points than wins.

Having a winning record with this group is an amazing feat.
I agree but 2-4 are correctable and teachable. Red and the staff need to own a portion of that shortcoming.

I think tonight was an important win. A loss tonight and potentially a blowout home loss next game to JGIII & Clemson and there is a chance of the team publicly imploding and fans questioning the state of the program.
Thankfully, no one is questioning the state of the program now.

That GMAC game vs BYU in the tourney in 2004 was absolutely bonkers. 43 points. Man he was fun to watch.

Unfortunately, I recall he hurt himself in that game, and wasn't the same in the next round, where we went out.

So not sure if it was shown on TV, but early in the second half Ref was apoplectic after Bell failed to go after a rebound / loose ball near our defensive baseline. Took him out at the next stoppage. About a minute before he reinserted him he got in Bell’s face and screamed at him to rebound the ball.

To Bell’s credit, he battled much better in the final 8 minutes, grabbed some rebounds, blocked that huge shot.

Red also got in Carey’s mug about rebounding as well.
Carey was atrocious last night. He stood and watched and didn’t even attempt to rebound. He regressed last night. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately, I recall he hurt himself in that game, and wasn't the same in the next round, where we went out.
I think you’re thinking of 2006. We won the next game against Maryland. We lost in the Sweet 16 against Alabama that season where he had about 25.

Carey was atrocious last night. He stood and watched and didn’t even attempt to rebound. He regressed last night. Very disappointing.
I still see a Rony Seikaly-type player there just waiting to be unleashed!

lol. My probability analysis involves me throwing up a made up hyperbolic number to show how ridiculous certain ideas are.

The real number is probably around 1in 100

If you use the probabilities that ESPN gives us, the likelihood of losing out is about 1 in 196. Add in an ACC tournament game and that would be 1 in 392.

But the ESPN probabilities feel a little generous to me. Do we really have a 40% chance of beating Clemson?

I must be an idiot, but I need somebody to explain to me why Taylor gets 24 minutes and Cuffe zero.

I liked the look of Carey and Brown out there together, but why was that done with JJ, Cope, and Taylor as the other three ? Need to get Taylor out and another shooter/scorer in - Judah or Bell. With Benny gone, we need to see if we can bring Carey along, but he has to do something when given a shot. His line was all zeros except for PFs.

Bell had a really great game shooting and actually hit the glass, shows maybe he can do that.

FT shooting nearly cost us the game - cant be below 70%.

As others have mentioned. just cant have only 2 boards from starting guards. I was surprised Cope didnt get more than 2, usually he is solid off the glass, but man can he see the court !!

I must be an idiot, but I need somebody to explain to me why Taylor gets 24 minutes and Cuffe zero.

I liked the look of Carey and Brown out there together, but why was that done with JJ, Cope, and Taylor as the other three ? Need to get Taylor out and another shooter/scorer in - Judah or Bell. With Benny gone, we need to see if we can bring Carey along, but he has to do something when given a shot. His line was all zeros except for PFs.

Bell had a really great game shooting and actually hit the glass, shows maybe he can do that.

As others have mentioned. just cant have only 2 boards from starting guards. I was surprised Cope didnt get more than 2, usually he is solid off the glass, but man can he see the court !!
Red sat Judah and Bell because they weren't trying to play defense at one point.

I was hoping for better results with Brown and Carey out there together. Unfortunately, Brown seemed to get removed from the offense. Carey was setting high screens and Brown was nowhere to be found. Brown is our best player to initiate our offense and Carey was completely lost last night.

I still see a Rony Seikaly-type player there just waiting to be unleashed!
Rony -
Now there's a player who worked hard and showed great improvement during his 4yrs.
Remember as a freshman, JB pulling him frequently for consultations LOL.
Enjoy opportunities to watch a developing player's game improve over 4yrs.

Seth buttering up Red nice as well... You could tell he wanted to give Red extra props after his tumultuous last few days.
Maybe that's what he really thought. Maybe every half of basketball shouldn't be an agenda on Red's coaching ability and future as the leader of the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom