Louisville Postgame Thoughts | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Postgame Thoughts

Never seen Goaltending reviewed. Is that a new thing?
It only can be reviewed if it’s called goaltending. I think if they reviewed it and said it was not goaltending, which it wasn’t, Louisville would have gotten the ball on a possession change. What a crap piece of officiating that would have been after Brown stuck it back in.

...who in hell keeps track of all these minasque stats????
I wonder if it’s the fat guy ESPN used to lock in the basement until they made a game show staring him. It was Stump the something, all I remember was that he was a huge dork.

I know the zone stinks, but we haven’t played good man defense mostly since the Miami game. I think part of Reds plan for the zone was to keep Maliq out of foul trouble. He’s the one guy that we can’t have sit or we are screwed.

He. Built. This. Team.
No. He. Didn’t. He was handed most of it. He had time to get 1 frosh. A transfer who hasn’t played, and he appears to have missed on Cuffe. The sophs are all on JB. Collectively, they are the result of years of lethargic recruiting by JB.
Red’s first class has a HS AA, rated as highly as 10th.
He will do well with the portal this year, I would think.

Was Sethala scheduled to do this game or did he request it in order to see up close what the hell is going on with his former assistant Red Autry?

I know the zone stinks, but we haven’t played good man defense mostly since the Miami game. I think part of Reds plan for the zone was to keep Maliq out of foul trouble. He’s the one guy that we can’t have sit or we are screwed.
There was a play later in the 2nd half where Maliq was fouled pretty hard, hit the deck, and was shaking out his wrist ... I was like OH NO.

Rony -
Now there's a player who worked hard and showed great improvement during his 4yrs.
Remember as a freshman, JB pulling him frequently for consultations LOL.
Enjoy opportunities to watch a developing player's game improve over 4yrs.
He was a very good player when he got on the court as a redshirt freshman and continued to improve.

Were you watching. We were shredded in man. Lay ups. after more lay ups. There was no defense we can play but man is almost out of the question because we can't guard anyone on the floor.
I missed the first couple minutes of each half and never saw us play man. That's why I asked if it was related to missing Benny.

You brought in a new coach with misfit leftover parts. Give him time to get guys who :1) want to share the ball rather than play 1v 5;
2) who want to defend; 3) who care enough to rebound; 4) who have a freakin’ clue about game and clock management, 5) aren’t a locker room virus; 6) who don’t ignore him because they know he has no one else to play, 7) who gets recruited as a shooter who actually looks at the basket, 8) who get back on defense instead of chirp at the refs, the opponent or each other, 9) who aren’t so self important the would rather get points than wins.

Having a winning record with this group is an amazing feat.

Against a schedule with the 4th best winning percentage in the country: Strength of Schedule (SOS) - Men's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com

This isn’t Duke they’re playing. imagine thinking we shouldn’t expect them to roll a single digit win team on their home court.
Uh, Duke and UNC both lost to Ga Tech who isn't much better.. Teams compete and it happens. We won thats all that matters. We gave up boards, they hit 11 threes, and we missed tons of FT's.. We won even thru a bad game. Take the win and move on. Ville is also playing better, especially on offense.

It only can be reviewed if it’s called goaltending. I think if they reviewed it and said it was not goaltending, which it wasn’t, Louisville would have gotten the ball on a possession change. What a crap piece of officiating that would have been after Brown stuck it back in.
That's what I was trying to figure out -- if they correctly called it no goaltend, it would have automatically been Louisville ball even though we got a rebound and putback? There's no way they would have waived off the bucket and gave the ball back to Cuse with 3.8 seconds left and a tie game?

Teddy very clearly made the fair call instead of the right call, which I appreciate because it's the right thing to do and also because we won.

Any possible long shot Seth could be a special consultant or assistant somehow to add another basketball mind to the bench?
I was about to post Seth seems like a good influence on Red so I hope they talk often. I doubt he'd join as an assistant but I hope Red seeks mentorship from him on a regular basis.

No. He. Didn’t. He was handed most of it. He had time to get 1 frosh. A transfer who hasn’t played, and he appears to have missed on Cuffe. The sophs are all on JB. Collectively, they are the result of years of lethargic recruiting by JB.
Red’s first class has a HS AA, rated as highly as 10th.
He will do well with the portal this year, I would think.

But how many of players he was 'handed' had Red as their primary recruiter?

On another side note around coaching- the amazing Rick Pitino is sitting at 14-9 on the bubble and hasn’t been able to secure the big wins needed yet. Honestly several bad second halves is mostly what separates us from them in the metrics.

He’s got the more experienced team to boot.

John Wooden would be challenged to win games with what's left of Red's roster, even if he had Seth Greenberg holding his hand on on the bench.

Yeah I meant for next year in general not so much that anything is changing this group as it sits

This is our best record through 23 games since Buddy’s junior season. What were your expectations this year? Did you expect Red to have us as a top 25 team in year 1?
Expectations were not needing a heroic effort from Bell to beat a lowly Louisville team and to not get blown out by every team they've played with a top 50 net ranking. Even last years team achieved that expectation.

Few more things on the roster:
-Q is taking over as the leader even off the bench. He will more and more every game from here on out. He's got to improve and work but He's the only one with the personality needed. I think Red hoped JJ or Judah would be better floor captains but they don't seem to have the awareness / energy needed consistently. Just listening to Q's postgame comments it's clear he's the heart of the team right now.
-Bell made a pretty loud statement last night that he is not folding. A few days ago I thought portal bound, now not so sure. Can he keep the intensity going or on the road. We'll see.
-Judah is struggling. This is probably the most adversity he's faced his whole career not just cuz of losing games, tourney hopes or Benny. He is now coming to terms that he withdrew from the draft last year and is going to end up worse off when he tests the waters again. If this was your career it'd be like showing back up to the same place a year later and finding out you didn't perform and taking a big pay cut. That crushes confidence. Still alot of games left but he has to show more.
-Brown is the engine. Just a monster. Him and Freeman next year are going to make each other even better.
-JJ solid but needs to be more aggressive. Defense especially.
-Taylor is Taylor. He's basically just out there passing the ball around so some of the other guys have fresher legs late in the game.

Expectations were not needing a heroic effort from Bell to beat a lowly Louisville team and to not get blown out by every team they've played with a top 50 net ranking. Even last years team achieved that expectation.
As usual you move the goalposts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom