Louisville Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Postgame Thoughts

In all honesty, do we want the double bye? Clearly we need a win at Clemson. I believe Wake still gets the 4 seed if they win 1 out of 2 due to the tiebreaker. I really want UVA, they can’t score.
Wake is great at home but not on the road. Playing for this team is better then sitting.

We are peaking at the right time but it feels like we can't totally figure out. Everytime that you think we finally put it all together we lose a coin flip game or blow another big lead and let them make it competitive.

We are sooooo close and can have a really fun month if we get over the hump.

I hope that wasn't even close to the peak. Awesome to get a win, but......

Not to nit pick but general question - for the folks who think margin of winning doesn't show how good a team is, what is your opinion on high margin of losses? Our margin in losses is about -18 point difference (with 2 almost 40 point losses) and most of our good wins are against teams on the wrong side of the bubble.
Another issue with NET is margin of victory is capped at 10 but margin of loss is not

I guess the words other than are extremely confusing to at least you
Not to add to the argument, but I was also confused. A comma would have made a difference: "Other than Bell & Mintz, 11 for 22 on FREE Throws" To me, it read the opposite of what you meant with no comma in the sentence.
noidea.gif

The NET margin of victory isn't capped anymore. Initially it was but then they changed it the 2nd year the NET was used.
Whole NET is a complete joke. We’re a P5 team with 14 of our 20 wins coming against other P5 teams but we’re the lowest rated P5 team with 20 wins. We are the outlier of outliers and likely won’t get in the tournament because the computers absolutely hate us because we’re a poor rebounding team. I hope we raise a massive stink when we ultimately get left out.

What does that have to do w the last 4 minutes of play against a 20 loss team?
what does last 4 minutes of play mean when a team won a road game wire to wire and was never really threatened.

Maliq better get some rest.
He's got to deal with PJ Hall Tuesday...with Schiefflin right there as well.

And everyone else needs to practice free throws because the Orange will need every point.

They control their destiny.
Beat Clemson.
Win two games in the ACC Tournament.
And they should be in the Tournament

Maliq better get some rest.
He's got to deal with PJ Hall Tuesday...with Schiefflin right there as well.

And everyone else needs to practice free throws because the Orange will need every point.

They control their destiny.
Beat Clemson.
Win two games in the ACC Tournament.
And they should be in the Tournament
It will be hard to win two ACCT games if they get a double bye. Winning at Clemson and 1 ACCT win should be enough. If we don’t get in with that resume the system is completely broken

Whole NET is a complete joke. We’re a P5 team with 14 of our 20 wins coming against other P5 teams but we’re the lowest rated P5 team with 20 wins. We are the outlier of outliers and likely won’t get in the tournament because the computers absolutely hate us because we’re a poor rebounding team. I hope we raise a massive stink when we ultimately get left out.

I’m ready to go back to the old days when the committee holed up in some out of the way location and just picked the teams that they thought should get the at large bids. And you didn’t know what went into the secret sauce.

We are an outlier because other teams don’t have 7 15+ pt losses and don’t offset it by beating teams by 20-30 points. Our strong strength of schedule and win total is what is keeping us in the bubble conversation.

Bell’s second chase down block was the biggest play of the game. He’s very very good at that.
When they hit the three point line, I already knew what was going to happen. It's crazy how good he is at that and how bad he is defending in the halfcourt.
Still not thrilled about Judah yelling at Autry after he got the T.
I'd be very curious what Red said to him first, because I thought Judah was at risk of getting a second tech back to back because he wasn't shutting up. Would be really sharp of Red to say something to redirect Judah's anger at him until he calmed down.

But does that happen if draymond doesn’t call out the coaches?

I think it's a strength in a coach to be able to take criticism, be introspective, and improve as a result. It means they have a lot more room to grow and are a lot less likely to get stuck in their ways.

I respect your opinion, but do have a different perspective-
Sure it wasn't the classic door-slamming finish-
Considering where this team was, I'm going to allow myself to be happy that they've put together a 4-game win streak, peaking at the right time of the season, and now destiny is in their hands for March Madness.
This team is still a work in progress, and riding along, in general, has been a lot more fun lately.
This is a VERY happy and somewhat unexpected development from earlier in the season -for me!
i agree with everything you have said however this is specifically a Louisville post game thread not a "general status of the team" thread. we need all the help we can get with getting into the tourney and margin would help slightly, just as margin the other way has got us in this situation to begin with

I was at a thing and couldn’t watch the game closely. Apologies, I’m sure was discussed in the game thread and I only made it through first 3 pages of this one - can someone explain what happened lol. It sounds like people are saying we played poorly, but we won, albeit against a bad team. I’ll check over on the game thread but if anyone has the time would appreciate a quick summary.

I was at a thing and couldn’t watch the game closely. Apologies, I’m sure was discussed in the game thread and I only made it through first 3 pages of this one - can someone explain what happened lol. It sounds like people are saying we played poorly, but we won, albeit against a bad team. I’ll check over on the game thread but if anyone has the time would appreciate a quick summary.
The "played poorly" probably comes from SU having a 19 point lead late, losing half of it in the blink of an eye, and most of the rest of it, two blinks later.

Couple things that have been standing out to me recently:

- Sometime Maliq gets the ball at the elbow or a step farther after setting a screen, has position on his defender, and either waits a split second or passes right away. I want to see him recognize this advantage and use it - drive. Even if he just dribbles once and stops, he'll likely create an advantage for someone else and be able to make the pass. But ideally, I'd like to see him recognize these spots and just take it to the bucket and go up strong. I think if he does, he'll absolutely terrorize opponents. Especially when he's at the 5, and him having his man out of position means that the biggest defender is not down low. I don't think many non-centers are going to feel all warm and fuzzy about Maliq coming at them full speed. I'm not a basketball coach and never played beyond freshman year of high school, so this is more based on the idea that he may not be in his comfort zone doing that - I'd coach him to just put it on the floor for that first dribble and go from there. If he gets uncomfortable, he's going to have all the same passing options (or better) after one dribble that he has before it.

- It seems like a lot of our guys choose to go for an extra dribble and a tough reverse layup instead of just going up strong and trying to draw contact.

- "Good Judah" has gotten a lot better lately at making some of the passes he used to struggle to see/execute, and also using his positioning to help his teammates. If this continues and we get into the dance and win a couple games, he might shoot up draft boards.

- "Bad Judah" needs to smooth out the emotions and take a complete 180 in how he handles officials. Sometimes there are stretches where he spends three straight possessions jawing at the same ref behind the play.

- The offense looks so much better and the way we are using players has changed so much that it's got me rethinking some of the stay/go discussions. Suddenly, mostly running it back doesn't sound so crazy.

- Sometime Maliq gets the ball at the elbow or a step farther after setting a screen, has position on his defender, and either waits a split second or passes right away. I want to see him recognize this advantage and use it - drive. Even if he just dribbles once and stops, he'll likely create an advantage for someone else and be able to make the pass. But ideally, I'd like to see him recognize these spots and just take it to the bucket and go up strong. I think if he does, he'll absolutely terrorize opponents. Especially when he's at the 5, and him having his man out of position means that the biggest defender is not down low. I don't think many non-centers are going to feel all warm and fuzzy about Maliq coming at them full speed. I'm not a basketball coach and never played beyond freshman year of high school, so this is more based on the idea that he may not be in his comfort zone doing that - I'd coach him to just put it on the floor for that first dribble and go from there. If he gets uncomfortable, he's going to have all the same passing options (or better) after one dribble that he has before it.

- It seems like a lot of our guys choose to go for an extra dribble and a tough reverse layup instead of just going up strong and trying to draw contact.

- "Good Judah" has gotten a lot better lately at making some of the passes he used to struggle to see/execute, and also using his positioning to help his teammates. If this continues and we get into the dance and win a couple games, he might shoot up draft boards.

- "Bad Judah" needs to smooth out the emotions and take a complete 180 in how he handles officials. Sometimes there are stretches where he spends three straight possessions jawing at the same ref behind the play.

- The offense looks so much better and the way we are using players has changed so much that it's got me rethinking some of the stay/go discussions. Suddenly, mostly running it back doesn't sound so crazy.
I've been saying for a while now Brown sometimes predetermines he's going to insta-pass the ball no matter how close to the rim and unguarded he is.

my interpretation:
we did play poorly. At times.
We also played well.
We played well more than poorly
the highs were very high
then the lows were very low
and they seemed to occur at regular intervals.
it would be close. We would get our crap together and extend the lead. Sometimes BIG.
Then we'd doze off and let them back in with complete ineptitude at times on the defensive end.

I was at a thing and couldn’t watch the game closely. Apologies, I’m sure was discussed in the game thread and I only made it through first 3 pages of this one - can someone explain what happened lol. It sounds like people are saying we played poorly, but we won, albeit against a bad team. I’ll check over on the thread more but if anyone has the time would appreciate a quick summary.

my interpretation:
we did play poorly. At times.
We also played well.
We played well more than poorly
the highs were very high
then the lows were very low
and they seemed to occur at regular intervals.
it would be close. We would get our crap together and extend the lead. Sometimes BIG.
Then we'd doze off and let them back in with complete ineptitude at times on the defensive end.
Thanks.
Watched the condensed game and impossible to get a true sense from that

The offense looked fluid from what I could see. That’s highlights though, watched the condensed game video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom