Love Buddy but.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Love Buddy but..

Quincy has not looked great so far.
I don’t agree

the coaches watch him every day in practice and they’re raving about him with his shooting

in Italy he was a little off
in the first two exhibitions not so hot from deep either
but I can tell you he nailed two effortless 28 footers in the orange white game and it looks like he could do it with his eyes closed

I also know we have 5 guards so Hughes at the 2 is not happening.

Switching Boeheim to 3 and Hughes to 2 makes more sense to me.
Paul Harris Andy Rautins redux

I don’t agree

the coaches watch him every day in practice and they’re raving about him with his shooting

in Italy he was a little off
in the first two exhibitions not so hot from deep either
but I can tell you he nailed two effortless 28 footers in the orange white game and it looks like he could do it with his eyes closed

I was there, but that’s practice and is totally different. He did not look good Tuesday night. He shouldn’t be shooting outside with the other options we have on the team.

I agree

but his lack of ball-handling is bad in today’s game

The foot speed is going to be killer at top of zone at times

and he is way below average at rebounding which is important at that spot believe it or not!

Guard rebounding is not too important. And none of the replacements would be appreciably better rebounders.

His foot speed is fine, given his height. He’s taller/longer than Andy was and no slower. Andy was excellent at the top of the zone. No reason Buddy can’t excel in the zone. He was pretty good on defense for a Freshman.

If we play teams that pressure the ball constantly, sure, we could move things around and bring in an extra ball handler at times, but that doesn’t have to be the standard lineup. Buddy isn’t a klutz with the ball. He can get it across half court and secure it well enough to get the offense in position.

I was there, but that’s practice and is totally different. He did not look good Tuesday night. He shouldn’t be shooting outside with the other options we have on the team.

A guy who looks capable of shooting 35%+ from deep shouldn’t shoot 3s?

A guy who looks capable of shooting 35%+ from deep shouldn’t shoot 3s?

He shot 28% according the the available AAU stats. He’s at best our 6th or 7th best 3 point shooter.

I agree

and he is way below average at rebounding which is important at that spot believe it or not!
His ball-handling as a freshman wasn't alarmingly bad to my eyes, especially compared to many recent SU wings.

As for his rebounding, Buddy averaged 3.8 rebounds per 40 minutes. Here are the career per 40 numbers for some other SU shooting guards:

Triche 3.9
Waiters 3.8
Battle 3.1
Cooney 2.8

He shot 28% according the the available AAU stats. He’s at best our 6th or 7th best 3 point shooter.

He shot 36% in the more recent Adidas Gaunlet (14 games)

Your move.

He shot 36% in the more recent Adidas Gaunlet (14 games)

Your move.

I’d still take my chances with other guys. We need him on the block. Leave the 3 point shooting to Buddy/Hughes/Girard/Goodine/Carey then I think Braswell and Marek when they are open are better options as well.

I’d still take my chances with other guys. We need him on the block. Leave the 3 point shooting to Buddy/Hughes/Girard/Goodine/Carey then I think Braswell and Marek when they are open are better options as well.

Then there's no point putting him on the floor.

That’s not what I said.

I know. Guerrier's strength is not posting up. His strength is his versatility. Making him one-dimensional is a waste, imo. We'd be better off playing somebody else at Forward if he isn't going to play on the perimeter. It makes him too easy to defend.

He will shot between 31-36%

His foot speed is fine, given his height. He’s taller/longer than Andy was and no slower.
Andy was maybe an inch shorter, but he had good lateral foot speed compared to Buddy.
Buddy's foot speed is not fine if we're going to rely on him to closeout against teams that move the ball quickly. Baylor abused him.

That being said, if he helps us become a more dynamic and reliable scoring team I can live with it.

I agree

Your logic is way way more flawed than any part of Buddy's game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom