Love it, couldn’t agree more | Syracusefan.com

Love it, couldn’t agree more

The link didn't work for me. Is P being put in the ring of honor?

No, just that he’s a legend

ROH is my opinion

Attachments

• 1708048640881.jpeg
    1708048640881.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 69
Ummm Floyd Little
Wow. Nobody remembers. There was literally an on-line vote and this board single handed got like 4 SU athletes in the final 8 and while we lost Floyd perhaps to Steve Young, we ultimately got Freeney the win as best athlete in CT history, and that was before the HoF. It may have been the first time the board community overtook an online vote.

Wait P ISNT in a ring of honor!?!?

Thats just dumb. By any metric 2nd or 3rd best HC in the history of Syracuse football. Weird.
Dave Bing JUST got in. Dave Bing!!! Not in yet: Ben Schwartzwalder, (national champion who has a trophy named after him, and was also a war hero Ben Schwartzwalder - OVMA – Syracuse University ), coach Mac, Gary Gait, John Mackey, ( who has a college football award named after him ), John Wallace, Carmelo, Czonka, Art Monk, McNabb, Freeney, Tommy Myers, Joe Morris, Sherm, Marvin Harrison, Billy Owens, Lawrence Moten, Mike Powell, GMac, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, reasons too many to type here, (Wilmeth Sidat-Singh - Syracuse University Athletics), etc.
I think it’s great that P’s relatives continue to laud his exploits here, but I imagine he is far down the line of deserving candidates.
(Note: I did not look at SU’s specific criteria for induction, just listed names that came to mind.)

Last edited:
Dave Bing JUST got in. Dave Bing!!! Not in yet: Ben Schwartzwalder, (national champion who has a trophy named after him, and was also a war hero Ben Schwartzwalder - OVMA – Syracuse University ), coach Mac, Gary Gait, John Mackey, ( who has a college football award named after him ), John Wallace, Carmelo, Czonka, Art Monk, McNabb, Freeney, Tommy Myers, Joe Morris, Sherm, Marvin Harrison, Billy Owens, Lawrence Moten, Mike Powell, GMac, Wilmeth Sidat-Singh, reasons too many to type here, (Wilmeth Sidat-Singh - Syracuse University Athletics), etc.
I think it’s great that P’s relatives continue to laud his exploits here, but I imagine he is far down the line of deserving candidates.
(Note: I did not look at SU’s specific criteria for induction, just listed names that came to mind.)
Gonna need a bigger dome

P was a good coach - does not belong in a ROH - I can’t figure out why he would be

The reverence on here by some for a solid but not great resume is fascinating.
That might be a bit stronger than I'd put it, but I generally agree. I'd reserve the Ring of Honor to those who were considered among the best ever in their particular sport and so far, I think we've done that. I absolutely think Coach P should be honored in some way. He was coach for the best stretch of SU football I've ever seen. But as far as football coaches, I'd probably just think of Coach Ben for the Ring of Honor as a national championship winner. And that's not an insult to Coach P - there are plenty of players who have had their numbers recognized and absolutely deserved it, but I wouldn't consider for the Ring of Honor.

That might be a bit stronger than I'd put it, but I generally agree. I'd reserve the Ring of Honor to those who were considered among the best ever in their particular sport and so far, I think we've done that. I absolutely think Coach P should be honored in some way. He was coach for the best stretch of SU football I've ever seen. But as far as football coaches, I'd probably just think of Coach Ben for the Ring of Honor as a national championship winner. And that's not an insult to Coach P - there are plenty of players who have had their numbers recognized and absolutely deserved it, but I wouldn't consider for the Ring of Honor.

I guess it depends on one's definition of ROH? Is it the "best ever in their particular sport," or is it best in that particular sport AT Syracuse? If the later, then I don't know how one doesn't place P in that ROH? As you mentioned, it was one of the best stretches of football in SU's history.

I guess it depends on one's definition of ROH? Is it the "best ever in their particular sport," or is it best in that particular sport AT Syracuse? If the later, then I don't know how one doesn't place P in that ROH? As you mentioned, it was one of the best stretches of football in SU's history.
I think we should reserve the ROH for alumni. You have to go here to get there. Think of that as a recruiting tool!

They better build on to the Dome because there’s not enough “rings” to put everyone.

I think we should reserve the ROH for alumni. You have to go here to get there. Think of that as a recruiting tool!
Who does that leave for coach candidates? George Bond, George Redington, Frank Wade, Edwin Sweetland, Jason Parrish, Ancil Brown, DeForest Cummings, Chick Meehan, Pete Reynolds, Lew Andreas, Vic Hanson, Reaves Baysinger and Doug Marrone. Put them all in!

Note: A couple of these guys weren't SU undergrads, but did earn graduate degrees while coaching here.

Last edited:
If Coach Ben or Coach Mac aren’t in Coach P certainly shouldn’t be.