LSU opens -3.5 / 72 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LSU opens -3.5 / 72

Playing at home is going to be a huge edge for LSU. I got 6 points here which seems like an overreaction. OSU or Clemson would have curb stomped Oklahoma also

Ya, but would LSU have needed every break to get by Ohio St? Maybe (OSU is really good) but probably not.
4-6 pts in a high total game like that also isn't that much.

Who ever the Osu S&C coach is, he's doing a heck of a job. That team is jacked! They appeared to be a lot bigger than Clemson.

Who ever the Osu S&C coach is, he's doing a heck of a job. That team is jacked! They appeared to be a lot bigger than Clemson.
Mickey Marotti, the Ohio State football team's strength and conditioning coach, will be paid at least $735,000 for the 2019 season per terms of a four-year contract signed in late March

Does he makes more than our coordinators?

Ya, but would LSU have needed every break to get by Ohio St? Maybe (OSU is really good) but probably not.
4-6 pts in a high total game like that also isn't that much.
Why make this stuff up? I don't understand the thinking here.

We don't know how tOSU and LSU would have gone if they played each other. It doesn't matter. That's why the game is played, but that wasn't the game that was played, and it wasn't going to be the game that was played. So why are we taking imaginary results from a game that didn't happen as some kind of commentary on the playoff?

I'm not sure what to think of LSU. Obviously they're good and they deserve to be exactly where they are. However, are they the defense that manhandled Oklahoma or the one that gave up 38 to Texas and Vanderbilt and 37 to Ole Miss? Do any of those offenses hold a candle to Clemson? Was Oklahoma's offense a little overrated? Jalen Hurts missed some throws that sunshine won't. Do we have any idea whether Oklahoma's defense was any good? They gave up 48 to Kansas St. and 41 to Iowa St. earlier in the year.

Many thought Alabama winning last year was a foregone conclusion, and we saw how that went. Clemson just passed as big a test, maybe bigger, as LSU did when they beat Alabama this year.

I expect a really fun game.

Why make this stuff up? I don't understand the thinking here.

We don't know how tOSU and LSU would have gone if they played each other. It doesn't matter. That's why the game is played, but that wasn't the game that was played, and it wasn't going to be the game that was played. So why are we taking imaginary results from a game that didn't happen as some kind of commentary on the playoff?

Well it's a football forum. I guess we could just cut&paste box scores; that'd be loads of fun.

I don't know how much this means, but when a head coach is making their first appearance in a championship game under the playoff format and facing off against a head coach that has been there before, the new first appearance head coach has never won. Ed may have an uphill climb.

teams lose or play poorly but go back to the body of work

Ok
played poorly against Tex/ KSu/ ISU/ Baylor twice
they played well in struggling wins vs OSU/WV/Hous/kansas
lost to TCU

they dominated UCLA and S. Dak

hardly a resume of a NC team

GA
dominated vandy/murry st/Ark St/kent/tenn/GT
played well in a struggling win vs ND/FL/Aub/Tex AM
lost to S.Car but dominated the stats in a close loss

got smoked by LSU but still were 20-30 pts better than OK.

GA is a TD fav against OK

OK would not be favored against LSU/Ga/Ala/Aub/FL so why did they get in ahead of any of them?

Because they won their games. Had Georgia not choked against South Carolina, they would have played last night, but they did so here we are.

I'm not sure what to think of LSU. Obviously they're good and they deserve to be exactly where they are. However, are they the defense that manhandled Oklahoma or the one that gave up 38 to Texas and Vanderbilt and 37 to Ole Miss? Do any of those offenses hold a candle to Clemson? Was Oklahoma's offense a little overrated? Jalen Hurts missed some throws that sunshine won't. Do we have any idea whether Oklahoma's defense was any good? They gave up 48 to Kansas St. and 41 to Iowa St. earlier in the year.

Many thought Alabama winning last year was a foregone conclusion, and we saw how that went. Clemson just passed as big a test, maybe bigger, as LSU did when they beat Alabama this year.

I expect a really fun game.

LSU lit up everyone not Auburn this season. What they did to Oklahoma is not an anomaly.

Maybe that’s why they were dominated in the 2nd half. Being jacked looks cool in the weight room but doesn’t necessarily translate directly to sports, even football. More muscle = more work your body has to do. 3rd and 4th Q = fatigue. A good S&C coach knows the balance for every position on the field and has a training program specifically designed to each group. Still a lot of coaches using 30+ yr old programs/strategies in S&C.

LSU lit up everyone not Auburn this season. What they did to Oklahoma is not an anomaly.
Did I question their offense? No. I questioned their defense. There were a number of schools that they lit up that were able to keep it close because LSU's defense was less than great. The only one of those schools with a comparable offense to Clemson was Alabama.

Are you trying to convince me that there is no way Clemson has a chance to keep it close or win? Alabama was a 5.5 point favorite last year. I guess Clemson should've just phoned it in there too.

Maybe that’s why they were dominated in the 2nd half. Being jacked looks cool in the weight room but doesn’t necessarily translate directly to sports, even football. More muscle = more work your body has to do. 3rd and 4th Q = fatigue. A good S&C coach knows the balance for every position on the field and has a training program specifically designed to each group. Still a lot of coaches using 30+ yr old programs/strategies in S&C.
More muscle also means pushing the other big person across from you is not as difficult, which means you don't fatigue as fast. If getting bigger and steonger was a bad thing, you wouldn't see players doing it. Suggesting otherwise is taking us back to the '70's.

Ohio State was not physically dominated at any point in the game and didn't look tired. Clemson made good play calls and had a couple guys that made plays to overcome the consistent advantage Ohio St had at the LOS. If their stud RB doesn't get hurt or even if the WR turns the right way on the game clinching INT, we may not be having this discussion.

More muscle also means pushing the other big person across from you is not as difficult, which means you don't fatigue as fast. If getting bigger and steonger was a bad thing, you wouldn't see players doing it. Suggesting otherwise is taking us back to the '70's.

Ohio State was not physically dominated at any point in the game and didn't look tired. Clemson made good play calls and had a couple guys that made plays to overcome the consistent advantage Ohio St had at the LOS. If their stud RB doesn't get hurt or even if the WR turns the right way on the game clinching INT, we may not be having this discussion.

You’re speaking in generalities. I never said guys shouldn’t get stronger. So I’ll stop there because we’re talking at different levels.

Ohio state got tired. They missed tackles, Clemson started pushing them around, their DB’s were using their hands a lot more which is a good sign of fatigue, they didn’t react as quickly which is also a good sign of fatigue.

LSU is a great team, but they did not light up everyone. Beat Bama by 5 and Texas by 7

I think LSU has the better team and will have huge crowd support, but Clemson has experience and I think a significant advantage on the sideline.

Dabo and Venables will find a way to keep it close. I’d let the line balloon and take the points.

LSU is a great team, but they did not light up everyone. Beat Bama by 5 and Texas by 7

but they scored 45 and 46 points. nobody has slowed down their offense yet all season. The fewest points they've scored was 23 against Auburn so that might be the playbook. But throw out Auburn and they average 50.8 ppg that's unreal playing their schedule.

Should be a great game. I’d love a Clemson win and I don’t expect them to crush LSU, so it could be an awesome game.

but they scored 45 and 46 points. nobody has slowed down their offense yet all season. The fewest points they've scored was 23 against Auburn so that might be the playbook. But throw out Auburn and they average 50.8 ppg that's unreal playing their schedule.
No question, LSU has been a machine on offense all year. They are the real deal and should be favored in the NC game.
The only point of my response to the OP (if you re-read the response I replied to) was that were 2 other teams besides Auburn that were able to hang with them during the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom