Lunardi still has us but now in the play-in game against Xavier in South bracket. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi still has us but now in the play-in game against Xavier in South bracket.

I know we lost, but it's funny to think that 5-6 points is really the difference between us being in or out. I mean, we all realize we would have gotten drubbed by UNC today, so it really comes down to a close loss to Miami?

Can someone remind me why I spend so much time following/worrying about a bunch of kids playing with an orange ball again?

I know we lost, but it's funny to think that 5-6 points is really the difference between us being in or out. I mean, we all realize we would have gotten drubbed by UNC today, so it really comes down to a close loss to Miami?

Can someone remind me why I spend so much time following/worrying about a bunch of kids playing with an orange ball again?

but when youre a bubble team often times it comes down to 1 game, thats the price you pay for being on the bubble. if we took care of business against bad teams in nov/dec yesterday's loss wouldnt matter.

You can't look at Syracuse and Illinois and think Illinois has a better resume.
Palm has Illinois above us.
I have no problem with Palm I just think he is overrating our bad losses and ignoring our 6 top 50 wins.
Yep. Palm has been consistent with his view. Recent trend is selection committee has given greater weight to good wins. Makes me wonder if Palm knows someone on committee and they will move away from recent trend.

You can't look at Syracuse and Illinois and think Illinois has a better resume.
Palm has Illinois above us.
I have no problem with Palm I just think he is overrating our bad losses and ignoring our 6 top 50 wins.

I just looked at Illinois schedule and their best wins were Northwestern, Michigan and MSU. All other mediocre teams. At least we beat teams actually in the top 25.

I just looked at Illinois schedule and their best wins were Northwestern, Michigan and MSU. All other mediocre teams. At least we beat teams actually in the top 25.
NW x2

We are all hoping we will be in on Sunday, but for the Committee, it comes down to choosing from a handful of close resumes. Sadly, it is hard for me to think they will reward the team that has the worst loss in Dome history. Just can't see it, in spite of some great wins and a team that could potentially go further than last years.

Which brings up the age-old question (going back at least several weeks) of whether good wins outweigh bad losses.

Which brings up the age-old question (going back at least several weeks) of whether good wins outweigh bad losses.

I also think our fans look at our resume in a silo. Illinois was blasted by a bad Indiana team and lost to Winthrop at home. Most bubble teams have bad losses.

Palm believes we are in trouble because our bad losses.
He thinks that the committee thinks that is more important than our good wins.
Unless he has inside info this makes no sense as bad losses are for the RPI.

If the committee changes to giving more weight to bad losses than good wins, it will incent teams to schedule more dogs to pad their records and less games against good teams. Just the opposite of what they have spent 10 years trying to counter.

That makes zero sense to me. If I am putting a tournament together, I want teams that can beat each other. Not teams that aren't capable of beating the top teams.

It looks like he's more concerned with the RPI & road/neutral record.

Syracuse Orange
The Orange have a nice wins against top 50 teams - all at home -- including Florida State, Duke and Virginia. However, the rest of the season was not good, and that is reflected in their RPI, which is now in the mid-80s. That would be the worst RPI ever for a tournament team. They also are only 2-11 away from home, which would be the worst ever for a tournament team. And, finally, the Orange have five bad losses, which would be one short of the record for a tournament team. A team with six top 50 wins gets left out almost every year. No team with their negatives ever gets in.

Syracuse Orange
The Orange have a nice wins against top 50 teams - all at home -- including Florida State, Duke and Virginia. However, the rest of the season was not good, and that is reflected in their RPI, which is now in the mid-80s. That would be the worst RPI ever for a tournament team. They also are only 2-11 away from home, which would be the worst ever for a tournament team. And, finally, the Orange have five bad losses, which would be one short of the record for a tournament team. A team with six top 50 wins gets left out almost every year. No team with their negatives ever gets in.

He makes a good argument. I think we are out.

If you think the committee still values RPI as much as he does you would be correct. If they value the other rating services like they say they do I think we should be in.

he makes a good argument but past history really doesnt matter. this might be the worst the bubble has ever been. its how we compare to other bubble teams THIS YEAR, not in the past. not saying we're getting in, but you cant just blindly look at a couple of stats and say we're out. gotta compare us to other bubble teams.

Syracuse Orange

No teams with "their" negatives ever has three wins over top 10 teams, either.

So I don't think there's much of a baseline to compare our performance this year to.

he makes a good argument but past history really doesnt matter. this might be the worst the bubble has ever been. its how we compare to other bubble teams THIS YEAR, not in the past. not saying we're getting in, but you cant just blindly look at a couple of stats and say we're out. gotta compare us to other bubble teams.

Now you're making a good argument.

How does Palm see 5 bad losses? BC, St.John's, UConn, Georgetown are sub 100 RPI. Though GT is # 101 today. Who's the 5th? Pitt is #69 so that isn't so bad. Looks to me like 4 bad losses vs 6 top 50 wins.

As I mentioned in another post, history is not as big of indicator as some bracetologists want to make it. Only 6 yrs of expansion to 68. Many precedents still being set, Vandy will get in with 15 losses this year. Talking points that hold no water...

And Kansas takes one from our playbook with that alley oop

Need PSU to beat MSU today. MSU is 18-13 with 2 road wins, bad losses, and 5 top 50 RPI wins. They are right on the bubble as well.

True, but MSU went out and played a huge OOC schedule, we did not, we never do. Also, Izzo will have the edge as a committee darling.

True, but MSU went out and played a huge OOC schedule, we did not, we never do. Also, Izzo will have the edge as a committee darling.
We played a good OOC schedule.
Since we joined the ACC we have played 2 BE rivalss this year we played 3.
We played at Wisconsin.
We played South Carolina in Brooklyn.

We are on the bubble because it took 14 games for JB to replace Frank howard with John Gillon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom