Lydon now projected as a Top 20 pick. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon now projected as a Top 20 pick.

I disagree. If Lydon came back with TT and Battle, that is a very solid foundation. We don't know what other pieces might come our way. Now, I don't expect Lydon to come back if he is in the 15-20 range. But if he did, a little bigger, he would be one big problem for teams to contend with.
How come no one seems interested in or ever includes Moyer in these conversations. He is athletic, fearless and appears ready to rumble. His attitude is positive and infectious imo

Flynn and Richardson were late risers due to their tournament play

I think we all knew Dion was gone, probably not that high though.

Ennis was already in the first round before the spring. The 25-0 start solidified his ceiling if I recall.

People like to forget that Ennis was the 20th rated player in ESPN rankings.

TJ Leaf is the same style of player and projected to go right after him.

I think Leaf ends up going ahead of him by the time the draft hits. Dude is a player.

You must not be up on the NBA. Stretch 4s that can drain the three are in vogue.
quite the opposite.

that's why I don't see it.

hes too slow and has a slow release.

and is a total liability on D.

heres hoping. I would have said no chance before season. Then it felt earlt on like he had been under performing and the team was struggling so perhaps he would be back. Now hes playing really well and his stock is still high, despite the teams lack of success. One could certainly question why anyone with an out would come back to this mess. Others will argue he wont want to leave after this type of season. We can only hope. Kids stock just dosent rise the way it used to with all incoming frosh ending up as the top picks. makes a tougher case for coming back.

Going into this season, I never for a minute expected Lydon to be back as a junior. Nothing I have seen has changed that opinion. He will likely be a mid to late first round pick and should go and not look back.

quite the opposite.

that's why I don't see it.

hes too slow and has a slow release.

and is a total liability on D.

Wait, how is he a liability on defense? 4s in the NBA these days aren't the hulking guys they were back in the day. There are some big ones, but they're mostly guys who started out around Lydon's size/strength. He's tall and athletic enough to stay with a lot of other stretch 4s. I'd imagine an NBA shooting coach could probably help him release the ball a little quicker, too. It's not like he has a Tim Tebow-esque flaw in his motion.

The only area I don't see him improving is his perimeter ballhandling. He won't be driving to the hoop much from the 3 point line. That's not a huge deal, though, since a lot of NBA 4s don't do that anyway.

Going into this season, I never for a minute expected Lydon to be back as a junior. Nothing I have seen has changed that opinion. He will likely be a mid to late first round pick and should go and not look back.

Yeah, was thinking the same. He's been miscast here quite a bit with the interior woes. He'll most likely camp out and launch threes in pick 'n pop NBA realistic situations as a stretch 4. He'll get stronger and gain better muscle on the next level. I think he can potentially be a decent defender. I saw Ennis in person earlier in the year from almost courtside and his body looked great.

Who knows how happy he is here with the chemistry, vibe, instruction, etc. Next year is looking worse so might as well bounce.

Wait, how is he a liability on defense? 4s in the NBA these days aren't the hulking guys they were back in the day. There are some big ones, but they're mostly guys who started out around Lydon's size/strength. He's tall and athletic enough to stay with a lot of other stretch 4s. I'd imagine an NBA shooting coach could probably help him release the ball a little quicker, too. It's not like he has a Tim Tebow-esque flaw in his motion.

The only area I don't see him improving is his perimeter ballhandling. He won't be driving to the hoop much from the 3 point line. That's not a huge deal, though, since a lot of NBA 4s don't do that anyway.

I agree with everything you said except Lydon does need a lot more strength which I don't think will be an issue once he's training every day on what makes him a better play instead of working on defense that helps Syracuse win games and the day to day life of a college student.

Steve Novak has 10 years in the league, Lydon does about 5 other things far better than Novak and Lydon could turn into that kind of shooter (I honestly don't think he's far off).

Novak is legit probably one of the best shooters in NBA history. He can't do anything else at the NBA level, but he can shoot it like few others

Novak is legit probably one of the best shooters in NBA history. He can't do anything else at the NBA level, but he can shoot it like few others

I don't disagree with you at all, but Lydon is a pretty damn good shooter in his own right, maybe not at Novak's level but I can see Lydon hit 42-45% at the next level. If Novak can get open, Lydon will be able to also. If Lydon can shoot 40% from the outside in the league he'll have a spot, everything else he does will be gravy and will get him more minutes.

It's still mid January - many a player around 20 at this time has fell to out of the projected first round by the time May comes around and it's time to put your name in or not. If he is projected around 20 in May, then I can't foresee him staying and I don't blame him.

But I have followed enough drafts to know that mocks around January change significantly by May when it is time to decide to stay or leave.

if hes Novak, can we get Lydon 40 shots a game please??

if Lydon goes, he will never get out of the D League.

he needs a serious reinvention that can only be provided in college.

After a year and a half in our program, he still looks very soft. Who is running our S&C program for the hoops kids?

I agree with everything you said except Lydon does need a lot more strength which I don't think will be an issue once he's training every day on what makes him a better play instead of working on defense that helps Syracuse win games and the day to day life of a college student.

We said the same thing about Jerami Grant - he needed another year to get stronger and work on his body ---- whoosh! He gone.

I don't disagree with you at all, but Lydon is a pretty damn good shooter in his own right, maybe not at Novak's level but I can see Lydon hit 42-45% at the next level. If Novak can get open, Lydon will be able to also. If Lydon can shoot 40% from the outside in the league he'll have a spot, everything else he does will be gravy and will get him more minutes.

I just think you might be overestimating that a little, there are like 10-12 guys this year who are over 42%. There are 2 guys (Joe Ingles and otto porter!) who are making 45%.

Since the start of the 2014-15 season (so basically 2 seasons plus) there are essentially 4 guys who are at 42% or better on any kind of volume; Steph, Klay, Redick, and Korver. Basically the best of the best. Luke Babbit has made 141 at 43%, and Seth Curry has made 118 at 43.2%, but the point is, 42-45% is the absolute best of the best. I think lydon is a long way off from that.

I don't disagree with your main point, don't get me wrong. But that's an elite level of shooting.

I just think you might be overestimating that a little, there are like 10-12 guys this year who are over 42%. There are 2 guys (Joe Ingles and otto porter!) who are making 45%.

Since the start of the 2014-15 season (so basically 2 seasons plus) there are essentially 4 guys who are at 42% or better on any kind of volume; Steph, Klay, Redick, and Korver. Basically the best of the best. Luke Babbit has made 141 at 43%, and Seth Curry has made 118 at 43.2%, but the point is, 42-45% is the absolute best of the best. I think lydon is a long way off from that.

I don't disagree with your main point, don't get me wrong. But that's an elite level of shooting.

Maybe not every year but I can see him have years like that. His shooting is what makes him an NBA player. But I get where you're coming from.

Lyndon is gone. Next years team will be awful, with or without him. He won't stick around for that.

You must not be up on the NBA. Stretch 4s that can drain the three are in vogue.
he looks nothing like an NBA stretch 4. Physically, he's a 3 in the NBA but he is lacking in the skills of a 3.

He'll get drafted in the 1st round, but I'm betting he doesn't get a 2nd contract. I think there is a very good chance that he fails to get all the options picked up on his 1st contract.

But there's no point in him staying if he wants to take a shot at the NBA. His stock will never be higher.

We said the same thing about Jerami Grant - he needed another year to get stronger and work on his body ---- whoosh! He gone.

worse thing about jerami grant was that his dad was a former nba star and millionaire. didn't need the cash. and if he did (rumors)
then that just screams "get your damn degree !!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom