Malik Brown Leaving Vols | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Malik Brown Leaving Vols

Sorry to interrupt but a bit of Brown news. According to TOS, Brown reached out to HCSS but has not heard back from the hard nosed one. Here is guessing he won't.
HCSS should at least respond. Bring him in and drill him with questions.

I don't follow recruiting closely so tell me if I get this right...

1. We're so loaded with talent that we can afford to ignore highly-touted recruits because they hurt our feelings once.

2. If a kid come to SU and screws up then SS giving him a 2nd chance is a sign of his immense character building capabilities. If a kid doesn't come to SU and screws up then he is irredeemable and must be ignored. Yes?

I don't follow recruiting closely so tell me if I get this right...

1. We're so loaded with talent that we can afford to ignore highly-touted recruits because they hurt our feelings once.

2. If a kid come to SU and screws up then SS giving him a 2nd chance is a sign of his immense character building capabilities. If a kid doesn't come to SU and screws up then he is irredeemable and must be ignored. Yes?

He had a couple injuries last season, which is a reason why he is so far down on the Tennessee depth chart. Also, if he is far down the Tennessee depth chart what makes you think he can play for Syracuse? Butch Jones sees him on a daily basis. There is a reason you are already buried on the depth chart. Why would we want to pick up damaged goods who by the time he is eligible to play would have not played in a game for a full 2 seasons.

CIL said:
This isn't directed at you, as I've seen it come up a few times in this thread. Why do folks here always bring up being "recruited over" when players decide to choose a bigger name football school than Syracuse? It is every coaching staff's JOB to bring in better players each and every year.

You are absolutely right every staff must recruit better players than the year before to be successful. The knock on Tennessee et al should be "Over Recruited Over" they take 35 recruits because they intentionally wash out 10 per year that they don't want to put in the time to develop and early enroll 10 in january. If a player does not show immediate talent to push for a starting role by the end of his freshman year they don't want anything more to do with him don't renew his scholarship or with guys that have connections to future recruits have him suddenly be declared to have "career ending injuries" that are faked and give him a medical scholarship. At Tennessee et al You're just a replaceable cog in the SEC machine.

If we had Alabama level talent I wouldn't disagree ... however we don't have nearly the room to be choosey, that is a simple fact. He can give us depth at a position that we truly need it ... have you actually looked at our depth at DE?

We are perfectly fine at DE. Ron Thompson and Zeke Johnson, who imo are the 2 best DE's on our team right now will be Sophmores next season. Donnie Simmons, who is probably right up there with those 2 talent wise will be a Sr, or possibly a Jr? Then we have Chris Slayton (rsFR), and then whoever we bring in this class. As of right now we have Dana Levine, and we are in a very good spot for Qaadir Sheppard. and a couple other very talented DE's. We are perfectly fine at the position. We don't need to take a flyer on a kid who has already shown to be injury prone, and couldn't hack it at Tennessee.

just because he was interested in SU before doesn't mean he is interested in SU now but if the staff is interested and so is Malik then pursue the player I say.

Has the kid shown any renewed interest in us?
Some one posted that TOS mentioned he had contacted HCSS but they had no report of HCSS getting back to him.

Whatever HCSS decides I'm fine with. We all make poor decisions especially when we're 17-19 years old and to me it seems like he was impressed by the hollow bells and whistles of Tennessee like I'm sure many of us would have been if we were in his position. If he is better than what SU has coming in then depending on if there are any "hurt" feelings or the like I'm sure he'll be welcomed back and if he isn't rated higher, then he won't.

again I dont know why some people are bitter about a 17 year old making a bad decision. Its not like he chose to go to mcdonald's over Burger King. he is suffering from a life decsion. Lets hope he learn from the mistake and makes it to a school. Why is it okay for a prospect to flip to us from Northern Illnois but we cant take having a kid flip from us to a SEC school? Northern, western Mich are teams who go through this with us. I was upset when Malik flipped but after a week I forgot about it. It happens to everyone including power house programs. I dont wish any ill will on Malik. I am not happy he had to transfer. Him leaving the tennessee program does not have any affect on us unless Shafer plans on letting him join the team.

Whatever HCSS decides I'm fine with. We all make poor decisions especially when we're 17-19 years old and to me it seems like he was impressed by the hollow bells and whistles of Tennessee like I'm sure many of us would have been if we were in his position. If he is better than what SU has coming in then depending on if there are any "hurt" feelings or the like I'm sure he'll be welcomed back and if he isn't rated higher, then he won't.
exactly

If we had Alabama level talent I wouldn't disagree ... however we don't have nearly the room to be choosey, that is a simple fact. He can give us depth at a position that we truly need it ... have you actually looked at our depth at DE?
If we truly need the depth then what are we already doing to meet that need? And why mot stick with that plan instead? It is Chicken Little-ism to say we are in such bad shape that we HAVE to take this guy if he wants onboard. That sort of thinking breeds bad decision making.

anomander said:
He had a couple injuries last season, which is a reason why he is so far down on the Tennessee depth chart. Also, if he is far down the Tennessee depth chart what makes you think he can play for Syracuse? Butch Jones sees him on a daily basis. There is a reason you are already buried on the depth chart. Why would we want to pick up damaged goods who by the time he is eligible to play would have not played in a game for a full 2 seasons.

I have no freakin' idea if he can help SU. Neither do you.

But yeah, best to completely ignore the kid if he might be interested in coming here. Spite is great for character building.

again I dont know why some people are bitter about a 17 year old making a bad decision. Its not like he chose to go to mcdonald's over Burger King. he is suffering from a life decsion. Lets hope he learn from the mistake and makes it to a school. Why is it okay for a prospect to flip to us from Northern Illnois but we cant take having a kid flip from us to a SEC school? Northern, western Mich are teams who go through this with us. I was upset when Malik flipped but after a week I forgot about it. It happens to everyone including power house programs. I dont wish any ill will on Malik. I am not happy he had to transfer. Him leaving the tennessee program does not have any affect on us unless Shafer plans on letting him join the team.

Not only was he a young kid making that decision, but the coach of the school he originally committed to had just left. I would love to see some of the posters on this board when they were 17-18 to see if they made any bad decisions. Also curious how many people could stick with their originally college choice if they constantly had other people selling them the dream at other schools. There is more to the process then it was for us non-athletes

Not only was he a young kid making that decision, but the coach of the school he originally committed to had just left. I would love to see some of the posters on this board when they were 17-18 to see if they made any bad decisions. Also curious how many people could stick with their originally college choice if they constantly had other people selling them the dream at other schools. There is more to the process then it was for us non-athletes
I joined the Navy when I was 18 and got TBI from an injury while on duty. Knowing this I would do it all over again to serve my country! That being said holding a grudge against Malik is kind of stupid!

In regards ot whether he was a Marrone or Shafer guy, I specifically remember hearing Shaf talk about how hard it was to work for months recruiting someone and then have them jump at the last minute. How you get so close to a kid and then someone tells them something at the 11th hour and they bolt. He was absolutely hurt by it, and I think he was every bit a HCSS as he was a HCDM kid. Be interesting to see if there is any acceptance of apologies.

One positive for bringing him on board is the continued goodwill and relationship building it would bring us in South Florida. Dwyer high school puts them out and Syracuse has been good to Julian Whigham. Taking on Malik would strengthen those relationships and ya hope send the message that Syracuse and this staff will take care of your kids and not hold any grudges or ill will. That said the staff should only bring him in if he's been a good student, done the training work off the field that is required and can help the team win football games.

In regards ot whether he was a Marrone or Shafer guy, I specifically remember hearing Shaf talk about how hard it was to work for months recruiting someone and then have them jump at the last minute. How you get so close to a kid and then someone tells them something at the 11th hour and they bolt. He was absolutely hurt by it, and I think he was every bit a HCSS as he was a HCDM kid. Be interesting to see if there is any acceptance of apologies.

yeah I remember that to. Shaf was definitely stung by what happened.

Yeah your right I think Shaf was very invloved with Malik's recruitment. I get it and I agree that it stings but its part of college recruiting. I personally know that Shaf did the exact same thing to ODU with Chauncey. I know the ODU guys personally and they were upset but understood that type of stuff is gonna happen at times. They worked really hard building their relationship with Chauncey and he flips the week of intent day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom