Marek Dolezaj | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Marek Dolezaj

From a purely assignment perspective on defense? Not at all. In fact we might be better defensively and a better rebounding team.
I think there is a lot of flexibility with the roster already and with the addition of Thorpe alone there are some answers. A lineup of Howard (Frank or Washington), Thorpe, Battle, Moyer/Brisset, Chukwu/Sidibe can win games in the ACC. If Moyer/Brisset can provide some perimeter offense and play effectively at the 3 Battle plays exclusively at G. If not he fills the SF void leaving a 3 man rotation of combo guards.
Tucker would absolutely solidify things and enable JB to go with a more conventional lineup with set positions. Dolezaj would be an interesting rotational piece but there will be options whatever happens over the next couple of weeks.
My bigger concern is that with the sanctions limiting recruiting and the scramble to complete the '17 class are we falling behind for '18?
I don't think we are falling behind at all with '18. I think we are actually back in the game in '18. It was surviving '17 that was always the issue. It looks like that just harder.

I don't think we are falling behind at all with '18. I think we are actually back in the game in '18. It was surviving '17 that was always the issue. It looks like that just harder.

Problem is if we just survive and have a winning season but another NIT trip, will that hurt how we look to our targets?

We have to lock those guys up in the early signing period.
That might work with role players, but seems next-to-impossible with elite prospects. I'm no recruiting guru ... but lately the top kids are waiting longer and longer. Some of this is $ (especially late when UK suddenly shows up), and some of it is that top kids have more options and the choice is more difficult.

Just my 02.

We have to lock those guys up in the early signing period.

Certainly, that would be ideal. It sucks I have zero confidence we can swing that. I'd make Swider our #1 early target. Maybe we could swing that, although Villanova likes him a lot.

That might work with role players, but might be next-to-impossible with elite prospects. I'm no recruiting guru ... but it seems to me lately that the top kids are waiting longer and longer. Some of this is $ (especially late when UK suddenly shows up), and some of it is that top kids have more options and the choice is more difficult.

Just my 02.

Maybe if we hadn't backed off of Tucker last fall, we could have procured his signed LOI during the November signing period.

That might work with role players, but seems next-to-impossible with elite prospects. I'm no recruiting guru ... but lately the top kids are waiting longer and longer. Some of this is $ (especially late when UK suddenly shows up), and some of it is that top kids have more options and the choice is more difficult.

Just my 02.

Yes, that's why I mentioned Swider. Great prospect. Fills a huge need. Not elite.

Back to Dolezaj, any decent highlights not shot from the roof? I agree, he looks promising but it would be nice to get a better look at him. Speaking of that, any word on when/ where the staff saw him in person? I assume we did but this guy seems to be a huge X-factor.

Maybe if we hadn't backed off of Tucker last fall, we could have procured his signed LOI during the November signing period.
I don't know enough about his recruitment to know if that was possible. If you do and it was, maybe he's an exception. I'm just observing how recruiting seems to be going these days -- top 100, especially top 50 kids, seem to be stretching things out until Spring senior year. That feeds into the lottery atmosphere and makes building (rebuilding) a program especially difficult if you're not throwing cash at kids.

I don't know enough about his recruitment to know if that was possible. If you do and it was, maybe he's an exception. I'm just observing how recruiting seems to be going these days -- top 100, especially top 50 kids, seem to be stretching things out until Spring senior year. That feeds into the lottery atmosphere and makes building (rebuilding) a program especially difficult if you're not throwing cash at kids.
Is that really true? I could be off base here but seems like the majority of top 100, and even top 50 kids, are still committing by the November signing period of their senior year.

May just seem like more are waiting because of the hoopla we've been through the last 2 years with battle, Thompson, Tucker, etc. not to mention all the recruits who decommitted after the season this year and reopened up in the spring.

Looking back at 2017 quickly, seems like 75-80% of the top 50 were committed before this spring. And that's not even counting kids who reopened like MAL and Tremont.

I think how we do in the early signing period for 2018 will be a huge litmus test for where we stand on recruiting going forward. I've remained pretty optimistic that 2017 was the exception, not the rule. Come out of the early signing period with 2-3 commits from a group of Carey, Jones, Wright, Swider, Williams, etc and I think people will step back from the ledge a little. Less than that and watch out...

Just my 02.

Zona locks em up early and they have a great class.

Anyone know how this visit went/is going? Any sightings on campus?

Certainly, that would be ideal. It sucks I have zero confidence we can swing that. I'd make Swider our #1 early target. Maybe we could swing that, although Villanova likes him a lot.
We always used to lock guys up early. Battle was the last one. He decided in July after his junior year. But I think we can get a couple of these '18 kids signed before the fall (Williams and Swider?). And then a couple more in Oct/Nov.

We always used to lock guys up early. Battle was the last one. He decided in July after his junior year. But I think we can get a couple of these '18 kids signed before the fall (Williams and Swider?). And then a couple more in Oct/Nov.

Williams? Is he that high priority for us? I know we are interested but does he have a position for us?

Williams? Is he that high priority for us? I know we are interested but does he have a position for us?

I really like him and so does the staff if you look at who they have offered and who they haven't in 2018. I think he's a bit under rated. He's also local and you how JB do how he do.

I really like him and so does the staff if you look at who they have offered and who they haven't in 2018. I think he's a bit under rated. He's also local and you how JB do what he do.

I like him too, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't sure we'd try to get him on board early.

I like him too, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't sure we'd try to get him on board early.

I know the staff has seen much more of Williams than others but at this point who has the offer? I could see us giving Williams a chance to commit before our elite camp where there will be others.

I know the staff has seen much more of Williams than others but at this point who has the offer? I could see us giving Williams a chance to commit before our elite camp where there will be others.

Interesting thought. When is Elite Camp...July, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom