Marrone out | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone out

So - he shouldn't have tried to further his career in the NFL?
(which he actually did a pretty decent job at)

All so he could hope to maybe try "to outlive the admin"??

Yeah, no. There's exactly zero logic or sense in any of that.

There are a lot of factors that football coaches consider.

Money, the ability to win, stability, the relationship with management.

Nick Saban tried to further his career in the NFL.

He rather quickly decided that college football worked better for him - it obviously did.

He has made a lot of money, he has had a great deal of success - he has become a legend - and he and his family have enjoyed a stable living situation.

There is something to be said for stability - affording your family the chance to grow up in one location.

And, there is something to be said for the financial benefit that can be earned by staying in the same job over time.

Marrone could have established a legacy at Syracuse University and in doing so, could have furthered his own coaching legacy. See Dick MacPherson.

And, he could have provided his family with a stable living situation in CNY - something that a lot of coaches at Syracuse University have valued. See Ben Schwartzwalder, Dick MacPherson, Paul Pasqualoni, Jim Boeheim.

I understand what Doug was trying to accomplish and I think I know why.

I just think he would have done better - in the end - had he stayed at Syracuse University.

And, I think we would have done better.

Just my opinion.

Right, you still need great players no matter how good the coach is

Most importantly, especially in the NFL, is you need a franchise type QB. It by far is the most critical position in the game, and no doubt being the most significant part in Bellichick attaining all the success at NE for two decades with Brady. It's hard to argue that Brady isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game, let alone meeting the lower franchise tag bar. Brady left and suddenly NE misses the playoffs and his new team, TB, is in the playoffs after a long exclusion. Coincidental, I think not.

Look at the Bills. They have what appears to finally be their franchise QB in Allen, as do the Browns in Baker. Is it coincidental that they both made the playoffs this year with the Bills being one game from the Superbowl? An astounding no! Name me one NFL coach that isn't deemed successful/held in high regard that doesn't/didn't have a franchise type QB?

I think Marrone is more than a mediocre NFL coach, even though his NFL record doesn't suggest as much. He didn't have a franchise QB with Buffalo, nor at Jacksonville, although still somehow managed to have that one season in Jacksonville nearly missing the SB. However, to win in the NFL, especially at a consistent rate of success, it's absolutely imperative to have that franchise QB.

As a Bills fan, I'll always be thankful for Marrone walking away from the Bills. Without that happening, we may have never hired McDermott and Beane.

The timing might still have worked. Does Marrone keep his job if the Bills miss the playoffs again in 2015?

Most importantly, especially in the NFL, is you need a franchise type QB. It by far is the most critical position in the game, and no doubt being the most significant part in Bellichick attaining all the success at NE for two decades with Brady. It's hard to argue that Brady isn't the greatest QB to ever play the game, let alone meeting the lower franchise tag bar. Brady left and suddenly NE misses the playoffs and his new team, TB, is in the playoffs after a long exclusion. Coincidental, I think not.

Look at the Bills. They have what appears to finally be their franchise QB in Allen, as do the Browns in Baker. Is it coincidental that they both made the playoffs this year with the Bills being one game from the Superbowl? An astounding no! Name me one NFL coach that isn't deemed successful/held in high regard that doesn't/didn't have a franchise type QB?

I think Marrone is more than a mediocre NFL coach, even though his NFL record doesn't suggest as much. He didn't have a franchise QB with Buffalo, nor at Jacksonville, although still somehow managed to have that one season in Jacksonville nearly missing the SB. However, to win in the NFL, especially at a consistent rate of success, it's absolutely imperative to have that franchise QB.
I totally agree

With his resume of winning at Syracuse and 2 NFL coaching jobs and now him getting to meet and make associations with the highest level recruiting networks in college football, his name is going to be at the top of available coaches for the power programs.

There are a lot of factors that football coaches consider.

Money, the ability to win, stability, the relationship with management.

Nick Saban tried to further his career in the NFL.

He rather quickly decided that college football worked better for him - it obviously did.

He has made a lot of money, he has had a great deal of success - he has become a legend - and he and his family have enjoyed a stable living situation.

There is something to be said for stability - affording your family the chance to grow up in one location.

And, there is something to be said for the financial benefit that can be earned by staying in the same job over time.

Marrone could have established a legacy at Syracuse University and in doing so, could have furthered his own coaching legacy. See Dick MacPherson.

And, he could have provided his family with a stable living situation in CNY - something that a lot of coaches at Syracuse University have valued. See Ben Schwartzwalder, Dick MacPherson, Paul Pasqualoni, Jim Boeheim.

I understand what Doug was trying to accomplish and I think I know why.

I just think he would have done better - in the end - had he stayed at Syracuse University.

And, I think we would have done better.

Just my opinion.
Yeah that sounds like something you would have liked for him. Doesnt have to be the legacy he desires. He wanted the challenge of coaching in the NFL and so did Saban. Now the both of them can say they have achieved their goal of coaching at the highest level. Win or lose, its something they wanted to experience. It contributed to their growth as coaches.

Yeah that sounds like something you would have liked for him. Doesnt have to be the legacy he desires. He wanted the challenge of coaching in the NFL and so did Saban. Now the both of them can say they have achieved their goal of coaching at the highest level. Win or lose, its something they wanted to experience. It contributed to their growth as coaches.

Obviously both wanted to be HCs in the NFL. I recognize that.

Saban clearly did not enjoy it.

He returned to college football and is now considered the greatest coach in the history of the college game.

Marrone did not have a particularly good experience as a HC in the NFL. And, it is unlikely that he will ever be given another opportunity in the League.

I suspect that that is not the legacy Doug Marrone envisioned or desired when he left Syracuse University.

He returned to college football and is now considered the greatest coach in the history of the college game.

Marrone did not have a particularly good experience as a HC in the NFL. And, it is unlikely that he will ever be given another opportunity in the League.

I suspect that that is not the legacy Doug Marrone envisioned or desired when he left Syracuse University.

They have to try it though or they’ll always wonder what could have been. The guys that come back are probably much happier for it (Saban, Spurrier, Chip Kelly, Schiano).

Maybe this will lead Doug to a second chance at a college head job. I assume that the ship here has sailed permanently, even with Wildhack over Gross, but who knows.

He’s a multi millionaire, I’m sure that takes most of the sting out.

He’s a multi millionaire, I’m sure that takes most of the sting out.
Money aside (although I don't think it's ever money aside), I'm sure he would do it again. He grabbed the opportunity to be a HC at the very highest level after only 4 years of being a college HC. He made millions. I'll bet his name comes up next year for college HC openings. I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets NFL offers, but probably not as a HC...yet.

Whether he enjoyed it or not doesn’t matter. It was a challenge that he wanted to take on. Not sure why people should suspect anything. We don’t know what they want. It being the entertainment business doesn’t mean fans get to decide someone’s legacy or level of risk taking in their profession. They obviously don’t care about tarnished NFL coaching records. They wouldn’t have taken on the challenge if they did. They knew what the risks were. Most coaches fail in the NFL.

Last edited:
They have to try it though or they’ll always wonder what could have been. The guys that come back are probably much happier for it (Saban, Spurrier, Chip Kelly, Schiano).

Maybe this will lead Doug to a second chance at a college head job. I assume that the ship here has sailed permanently, even with Wildhack over Gross, but who knows.
Exactly

Maybe the legacy he wanted was to provide generation money for his family.

I am sure that is a large part of it. Coaching jobs come and go, make the $ when you can and just keep rolling with the punches. Take the next best job available when you are out their looking. He's in a good spot now to pick and choose a bit and choose his own path a bit until he retires. Who is to say, he doesn't take a HC job at a smaller school or something until he retires. I highly doubt you see Marrone in CNY again though. I can see him as the HC at Georgia Tech in a year or two

I get what Orange Pa is saying too, Syracuse would have been a long time position for him but he did the right thing, IMO.

I am sure that is a large part of it. Coaching jobs come and go, make the $ when you can and just keep rolling with the punches. Take the next best job available when you are out their looking. He's in a good spot now to pick and choose a bit and choose his own path a bit until he retires. Who is to say, he doesn't take a HC job at a smaller school or something until he retires. I highly doubt you see Marrone in CNY again though. I can see him as the HC at Georgia Tech in a year or two

I get what Orange Pa is saying too, Syracuse would have been a long time position for him but he did the right thing, IMO.
Doug will only take a HC job at a factory. Penn St could come available. Though, I still have a sense that the big donors behind Alabama football are looking down the road at the Saban succession, which could come sooner than many think.

I don’t hold anything Doug did against him. He brought pride back to the fanbase during his short time here. Id invite him back with open arms but that’d never happen. I really wish him the best, he’s a good coach who’s seen some lousy situations.

Doug will only take a HC job at a factory. Penn St could come available. Though, I still have a sense that the big donors behind Alabama football are looking down the road at the Saban succession, which could come sooner than many think.
What is it that many think?

What is it that many think?
Many think that Saban is going to be there for
quite a few more years. The people who run Alabama football will want him to go out on top with the program 100% healthy and transition to the next dynasty with no downturn. I sat he coaches 1 more year.

What does the last sentence have to do with the 2 prior?

What does the last sentence have to do with the 2 prior?
That Doug is being eyed by the big powers in college football and Alabama may decide that they will have to make a move if they want him to be their next coach.

Many think that Saban is going to be there for
quite a few more years. The people who run Alabama football will want him to go out on top with the program 100% healthy and transition to the next dynasty with no downturn. I sat he coaches 1 more year.
I didn't realize you were such an Alabama insider. Please keep us posted.

I didn't realize you were such an Alabama insider. Please keep us posted.
I just observe how things are managed at major college powers, even more so the SEC. They don't play by the out dated rules that Syracuse goes by. They will not indulge Saban one bit, if he shows any signs of softness or looking ahead, he's done.

Alabama is ideal for Marrone. The place recruits itself, he gets to coach the best line talent in the country, he gets paid like he's a head coach, and sets himself up for a big time HC job in college or the pros a couple of years down the line.

I just observe how things are managed at major college powers, even more so the SEC. They don't play by the out dated rules that Syracuse goes by. They will not indulge Saban one bit, if he shows any signs of softness or looking ahead, he's done.
With your track record of predicting the college football landscape, I'll definitely keep an eye on you.