Marrone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone

OrangeDW said:
The guy brought us back from being the worst program in the country(from conferences that matter) to the brink of the top 25. Now he's got the Bills above .500 for the first time in 15 years? And most of the Cuse/Bills package fans still hate him. LOL. Weird.
Being better than jauron isn't enough

Being better than jauron isn't enough

If they're still 9-7 in 2016 and that's where this tops out, I could agree with that thinking.

9-7 in year two seems good for what could've been realistically hoped for. It would've been an absolute dream season to do better than that when EJ Manuel/Kyle Orton are your QB's, your best WR is a rookie, and your most talented RB misses most of the season and your running game relies on an old beat up Jackson and some guy named Boobie Dixon.

They need more talent on the offensive side. Watkins is a future star. Woods is a nice piece. They aren't better on paper than the other 9-7 teams or the Ravens, Bengals, or Steelers.

Last edited:
Orton was simply horrible. Hard to believe he even plays in the NFL He's so in accurate

Not sure the facts support this. He was 12th in completion %, ahead of Brady, Manning (obviously), Wilson, Flacco, and Luck. Just to name a few. He was also 19th in overall QB rating ahead of Stafford and Kaeprnick (whom I bet you would have preferred in a second). He's also a essentially a career backup, with a weak arm, very little agility, playing in Buffalo, and just retired... to name a few negatives.

He did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.

Orton had one of the best years in bills history. (I know)

Bills fans know mediocre coaches when they see it.

Pegula will hire someone better whenever he needs to
You think he'll be as decisive with the Bills as he was with the Sabres in year 1? (Chuckle, chuckle)

Wow again for such a bad coach who would have thought he'd have all these NFL teams coveting him. Pretty amazing some people still deny that he's nothing more then an average coach, and actually compare Shafer favorably to him.

I think he is a good football coach, just not suited to coach college football because of his personality. I think kissing butt recruiting teenagers and schmoozing with donors and administrators in college was not up his alley.

He seems much better suited to the NFL, and from what I've seen so far in Buffalo, they better figure out how to keep him around for a few more years because I think he's going to keep things going up hill. That's much more than they can say for the previous Bills coaches since Marv Levy left.

I find it interesting that Marrone had it leak today that he has a 3 day clause in his contract to opt out with ownership change. Either this was leaked out by his agent for a contract extension or he's thinking about going "home" and coaching the Jets..

As a Patriots fan I hope we (the AFC East) retain borderline intelligent head coaches in the AFC East. The less Harbough types and more Philbin/Marrone types will just continue the cycle of 11 win seasons for the Patriots well into the Garappolo era.

He coached the team to a 9-7 record this season despite:

1. The best we could find was a QB who was not on a roster, not in the Bills training camp, and learned the offense on the job to post a 7-5 record as a starter. The Bills would not have had Orton had Marrone not vehemently made his point to the GM that changes were needed in the QB depth chart.

2. The death of the only owner the Bills have ever had, and the transition to a new owner.

3. The loss of a home game, and moving that game to Detroit, due to a snow fall of historic levels.

4. The loss of both top RBs in the same game.

5. The top 3 WRs having very little NFL experience. The best of them, Watkins, playing through several injuries going back to training camp.

6. The RT being a seventh round rookie pick.

7. The OG postions were occupied by players that were not projected to be the starters.

8. The loss of our best rookie from the previous season (Kiko), before this season's games even began.

9. The loss of last year's Def Coordinator to the browns. Marrone may have upgraded the position with Schwartz replacing Pettine.

1. The best we could find was a QB who was not on a roster, not in the Bills training camp, and learned the offense on the job to post a 7-5 record as a starter. The Bills would not have had Orton had Marrone not vehemently made his point to the GM that changes were needed in the QB depth chart.

2. The death of the only owner the Bills have ever had, and the transition to a new owner.

3. The loss of a home game, and moving that game to Detroit, due to a snow fall of historic levels.

5. The top 3 WRs having very little NFL experience. The best of them, Watkins, playing through several injuries going back to training camp.

7. The OG postions were occupied by players that were not projected to be the starters.

8. The loss of our best rookie from the previous season (Kiko), before this season's games even began.

9. The loss of last year's Def Coordinator to the browns. Marrone may have upgraded the position with Schwartz replacing Pettine.

You guys certainly love your moral victories these days. You know the Patriots won 11 games with a guy quarterbacking who never started a game in college right when Brady tore his ACL?

You can do better than Marrone is my entire point.

I'll be pretty upset if Marrone leaves the Bills. Seriously, think about potential replacements. You probably want an offensive coach since that's the issue with the team... what offensive coach would want to touch a team that has no first round pick, no offensive line, just had their (shitty) starting QB retire and the backup is a project at best, and a 33 year old RB as their only reliable ball carrier? It's a pretty dreadful situation to walk into as an offensive coach unless you think you're a miracle worker.

I think Marrone has done a good job with the team and really hope he sticks around. For once, it would be nice to be able to build on the past year's success instead of trying to rebuild again.

Stop making sense

You guys certainly love your moral victories these days. You know the Patriots won 11 games with a guy quarterbacking who never started a game in college right when Brady tore his ACL?

You can do better than Marrone is my entire point.

You could also do a lot worse. You think Falcons fans are wishing they had someone better than Mike Smith as they've wasted the prime years of Ryan and Jones?

As a Patriots fan I hope we (the AFC East) retain borderline intelligent head coaches in the AFC East. The less Harbough types and more Philbin/Marrone types will just continue the cycle of 11 win seasons for the Patriots well into the Garappolo era.

Let's see he took a D-1 program that was coming off of 10-37 and the worst across the board combined level of statistical performance for four years to an 8-5 record and a bowl in his second year.

He took a team that hadn't had a winning season in 10 years in his second year.

Pretty good for a borderline coach.

You could also do a lot worse. You think Falcons fans are wishing they had someone better than Mike Smith as they've wasted the prime years of Ryan and Jones?

Mike Smith went to a few playoffs no? I mean the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since Doug Flutie right?

Let's see he took a D-1 program that was coming off of 10-37 and the worst across the board combined level of statistical performance for four years to an 8-5 record and a bowl in his second year.

He took a team that hadn't had a winning season in 10 years in his second year.

Pretty good for a borderline coach.

Good college coach, just doesn't stack up to Belichick. That's my entire point. I'm kinda peacocking a bit and I apologize since i'm enjoying the hell out of the last 14 years after dealing with years of ineptitude in New England. I don't see Marrone as the guy who will take the Bills to that perpetual 10-12 win state. I'm just stating what I think. Who knows he may surprise and become Chuck Noll.

I wish he never left Syracuse because my expectations of that program are 8 wins year in and year out with the occasional 11 win What season (see 88, 92, etc). He was en route to that. I am a Marrone guy and wish he was still in Syracuse but like i said my expectations for my college team (alma mader) and the Pats are in two different galaxies.

Not sure the facts support this. He was 12th in completion %, ahead of Brady, Manning (obviously), Wilson, Flacco, and Luck. Just to name a few. He was also 19th in overall QB rating ahead of Stafford and Kaeprnick (whom I bet you would have preferred in a second). He's also a essentially a career backup, with a weak arm, very little agility, playing in Buffalo, and just retired... to name a few negatives.

He did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.
I'm normally not a "give the guy time and he'll be fine" because you can say that about any quarterback, but there were some games this year where the offensive line was such a sh!tshow that it was almost impossible for him to look good.

I'll be pretty upset if Marrone leaves the Bills. Seriously, think about potential replacements. You probably want an offensive coach since that's the issue with the team... what offensive coach would want to touch a team that has no first round pick, no offensive line, just had their (shitty) starting QB retire and the backup is a project at best, and a 33 year old RB as their only reliable ball carrier? It's a pretty dreadful situation to walk into as an offensive coach unless you think you're a miracle worker.

I think Marrone has done a good job with the team and really hope he sticks around. For once, it would be nice to be able to build on the past year's success instead of trying to rebuild again.
lots of offensive coaches would want to touch that team with the kind of money pegula can throw at them

Good college coach, just doesn't stack up to Belichick. That's my entire point. I'm kinda peacocking a bit and I apologize since i'm enjoying the hell out of the last 14 years after dealing with years of ineptitude in New England. I don't see Marrone as the guy who will take the Bills to that perpetual 10-12 win state. I'm just stating what I think. Who knows he may surprise and become Chuck Noll.

I wish he never left Syracuse because my expectations of that program are 8 wins year in and year out with the occasional 11 win What season (see 88, 92, etc). He was en route to that. I am a Marrone guy and wish he was still in Syracuse but like i said my expectations for my college team (alma mader) and the Pats are in two different galaxies.

Doesn't stack up to Belichick, who does?

It took him 4 seasons to have a winning year at Cleveland, and that was taking over a team that had been to the playoffs five years straight before having a losing record the year before he took over, had finished first in it's division 4 times, and made it to the championship game a couple of times in that span.

It's a ridiculous comparison. Marrone is in year two as an NFL HC, Belichick year 20. Belichick wasn't Belichick until he made Brady QB. He went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11, 5-11 the first six seasons he was a HC.

It took him 4 seasons to have a winning year at Cleveland, and that was taking over a team that had been to the playoffs five years straight before having a losing record the year before he took over, had finished first in it's division 4 times, and made it to the championship game a couple of times in that span.

It's a ridiculous comparison. Marrone is in year two as an NFL HC, Belichick year 20. Belichick wasn't Belichick until he made Brady QB. He went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 5-11, 5-11 the first six seasons he was a HC.
Belichick wasn't Belichick until he cheated .

Belichick wasn't Belichick until he cheated .
Nonsense. I really hope you are smarter than that. I am not a pats fan but BB is an amazing coach.

Such a good post. It takes time. We need to lok at ourseleves. Were we as good at our jobs in the first few years as we are now? Most of us were not. This rush to fire people as if they can't or won't improve. Didn't Bill parcells win just 3 games his first year?

lots of offensive coaches would want to touch that team with the kind of money pegula can throw at them

A lot of team owners have money that they can throw at coaches. They also have good pieces in place on offense to attract an offensive coach. Buffalo, outside of Sammy, doesn't.

I think he is a good football coach, just not suited to coach college football because of his personality. I think kissing butt recruiting teenagers and schmoozing with donors and administrators in college was not up his alley.
Completely agree. It also cracks me up that whenever recruiting and fundraising are brought up re: Marrone, recruiting is "kissing butt recruiting teenagers" and fundraising is "schmoozing."

You know, instead of calling recruiting and fundraising just "recruiting" and "fundraising" like it is for every other college coach.

:D

Marrone has become one of the best defensive minded head coaches in the league. He'd be the same coach that the Jets just got rid of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom