Maryland Game Preview (2/17/24, 6pm) | Syracusefan.com

Maryland Game Preview (2/17/24, 6pm)

will mark will have to step his game up 2 levels this week then what he’s been at in first 3 games. He wasn’t bad don’t get me wrong but he did not look fully himself or did he make bunch of saves against those teams. He has 28saves in 3 games n will go against mcnaney who has 25saves in 2 games vs better teams would say in richmond n loyola. All around team will need be step up. Limit the unforced turnovers, penalties and bury the open shots n emo getting back to scoring over 60% like were at point less year. I hope they win of course but i mostly want them to just compete all game. Like to see it go back and forth, us have lead few times really have it be a close game. Last time we played them yes was close game but didn’t feel like maryland ever thought we were knocking on door to beat them. We were always at distance never in front. Joey continued playing like he has letting game come to him n take what is giving not trying to do to much should be able to score. Defense will need to be as one n we need to feast on loose or ground balls also. Will run down street naked if we win dare me to do it dare me!

What we thinking here, slight underdogs?

Yes, although probably better to play Maryland now versus in April because I'm sure they will figure things out as the season goes along. Terps defense will be a great test, excited to see what the Orange offense looks like against a top unit. Hopefully they can limit turnovers and be better on the EMO should they get opportunities.

Although they haven't played much over the years I don't think Syracuse has beaten the Terps since the 2009 quarter-finals so if anything feels like they are due!

on a neutral field maryland would be favored but in the dome this is a true tossup

zappitello will limit spallina's impact on the game in the 6v6...needless to say he will not score 10 points again. if he gets half that it will be a good game. they will need big games from the other "quarterbacks"...mule at x and hiltz on the lefty wing.

i am not impressed by maryland's personnel on offense. their middies do nothing for me. almost none of them are real midfielders. if you can keep erksa and malever in check you will probably like the result at the end of the game because their secondary scorers are not dynamic enough to take over. if fig and dwan win their matchups, the orange will win

the more i think about it the more i think this is a good matchup for cuse...maryland has been winning by grinding it out and playing good d but despite dominant faceoff advantages they have yet to show an ability to score in bunches. 11 goals probably wont cut it

on a neutral field maryland would be favored but in the dome this is a true tossup

zappitello will limit spallina's impact on the game in the 6v6...needless to say he will not score 10 points again. if he gets half that it will be a good game. they will need big games from the other "quarterbacks"...mule at x and hiltz on the lefty wing.

i am not impressed by maryland's personnel on offense. their middies do nothing for me. almost none of them are real midfielders. if you can keep erksa and malever in check you will probably like the result at the end of the game because their secondary scorers are not dynamic enough to take over. if fig and dwan win their matchups, the orange will win

the more i think about it the more i think this is a good matchup for cuse...maryland has been winning by grinding it out and playing good d but despite dominant faceoff advantages they have yet to show an ability to score in bunches. 11 goals probably wont cut it
I agree and they don’t seem to ride hard so we shouldn’t have an issue clearing the ball.

Loyola was very successful clearing the ball against them.

If kol is starting again he needs to be on a short leash. I really like cacameo in with dwan and fig but not my call. I also hope that man down defense is not what we send out there as feel maryland will pick them apart as they pack it in way to tight before offense even moves them in. Hopefully kohn/mullin can win least 50% of faceoffs but we also have to get gbs either more than maryland or least right behind them. Maryland still well coached team tho not fan of tillman(think he is lil petty at times) he’s very could coach. Offense will def have to be on point and as said bury the open shots they get. Spallina think if he plays game little more as feeder or uses himself as decoy at times opening up for our many other guys will truely help. But we can say a lot of things they have to do but it’s up to them to do it. Be really really nice to come out with a win but i also be pretty impressed if game came down to final min even seconds even if a lost.

Mean richmond is a very decent team and have some good players. Don’t think they have the talent we have but they took maryland to limit yes was first game of year. But richmond has played many top teams hard n even won at times. Feel if they can we should be able to unless richmond just has that dog in them more then us or more grit. Hopefully gg called them up and asked for some of that grit for his team. Let’s go orange!! They have you ranked high but bet they don’t believe you’re truely that high so PROVE them wrong this week. Show them your truely force to be reckoned with ! LFG

Last year the game was close despite being destroyed at X and I believe we were outshot by 20-30. Mark and Birtwistle kept us in the game...hopefully they both show up big again.

One thing's for sure - at least this game isn't being played in College Park where the only camera angle is from a satellite in outer space.

On offense, I think MD will be one of our toughest opponents to beat with ball movement/two man game plays and other pick plays/skip passes or tight passes inside. They shut most of that stuff down with a consistently disciplined team defense. Also it helps that their offense has used some pick plays as well so they have more reps defending that stuff. Last year we scored a lot of our goals with good old fashioned 1v1 dodges. Granted it was basically the first tough test for a young/inexperienced offensive group and their chemistry improved as the season went on, but we may still need to rely on our dodging in this one.

Fortunately, we have plenty of that as well. I think a lot will depend on if English or Leo (depending on who gets it) can heavily exploit their short stick match up and if Hiltz or Spallina can exploit their match up with a non-Zappitello long pole. Hiltz is still a guy who cannot be taken for granted off the dodge. If they do not put Zapp on him (like last year), then I would expect him to have a big impact. Trader and Makar are huge losses no matter how you slice it. I am hoping we are able to exploit their replacements.

I agree and they don’t seem to ride hard so we shouldn’t have an issue clearing the ball.

Loyola was very successful clearing the ball against them.
Given the struggles we've had clearing, I wouldn't be surprised if every opponent going forth tries some sort of ride if they feel they can. I'm sure Tillman has noticed and will implement something into their game plan. The Virginia and Notre Dame games could be nightmares if they don't get something figured out.

Good test for Kohn and Mullen going against Weirman. This should let us know just how good our face off unit is this year.

I haven't watched either Maryland game this year so can't comment on how their offense or defense looks. I do find it interesting that Maryland hasn't had a penalty called on them so far.

Mark last year played one heck of a game to keep them close, hopefully he can do it again. Only 4 of the 12 goals were assisted last year, as Doctah said above we might need our dodgers to shine in this game.

Mu only other concern other than the clearing would be penalties. I like the aggressive defense but they just need to tone it
down a notch or two. Can't be giving easier chances for some of these offenses they're gonna face, especially if they're gonna sub the entire defense for man down.

Given the struggles we've had clearing, I wouldn't be surprised if every opponent going forth tries some sort of ride if they feel they can. I'm sure Tillman has noticed and will implement something into their game plan. The Virginia and Notre Dame games could be nightmares if they don't get something figured out.

Good test for Kohn and Mullen going against Weirman. This should let us know just how good our face off unit is this year.

I haven't watched either Maryland game this year so can't comment on how their offense or defense looks. I do find it interesting that Maryland hasn't had a penalty called on them so far.

Mark last year played one heck of a game to keep them close, hopefully he can do it again. Only 4 of the 12 goals were assisted last year, as Doctah said above we might need our dodgers to shine in this game.

Mu only other concern other than the clearing would be penalties. I like the aggressive defense but they just need to tone it
down a notch or two. Can't be giving easier chances for some of these offenses they're gonna face, especially if they're gonna sub the entire defense for man down.
There is no easy answer against a good 10-man. That’s the problem. Keeping all the middies back to create a 7v6 on your end creates a spacing problem. Running a more traditional clear requires your SSDMs to beat their man 1v1. Can Cuse’s do that? Shooting from 70 yards is not an every possession option. Getting the ball up and out over the top to prevent the ride from forming is great, but not always possible. Deep passes from the D to the attack below GLE are great. Sometimes.

Against the 10-man, Cuse’s best option probably is getting the ball to its best dodgers, whomever they might be, between the defensive restraining line and the midline and hoping they can win 1v1. Even if that means running one of the attack over to take the pass from Mark or a pole. Then the 10-man breaks and someone is dunking on an open net.

On offense, I think MD will be one of our toughest opponents to beat with ball movement/two man game plays and other pick plays/skip passes or tight passes inside. They shut most of that stuff down with a consistently disciplined team defense. Also it helps that their offense has used some pick plays as well so they have more reps defending that stuff. Last year we scored a lot of our goals with good old fashioned 1v1 dodges. Granted it was basically the first tough test for a young/inexperienced offensive group and their chemistry improved as the season went on, but we may still need to rely on our dodging in this one.

Fortunately, we have plenty of that as well. I think a lot will depend on if English or Leo (depending on who gets it) can heavily exploit their short stick match up and if Hiltz or Spallina can exploit their match up with a non-Zappitello long pole. Hiltz is still a guy who cannot be taken for granted off the dodge. If they do not put Zapp on him (like last year), then I would expect him to have a big impact. Trader and Makar are huge losses no matter how you slice it. I am hoping we are able to exploit their replacements.
Eric Kolar- SSDM is likely out for them as well. He played with Trader most of last year.

Eric Kolar- SSDM is likely out for them as well. He played with Trader most of last year.
He was very good too and is a big loss for them. Was only a freshman last yr so would be even better this yr. If they keep running Redd out there for double shifts he will be tired so SU has to exploit that matchup all game long.

Just curious, was he injured in the preseason or injured in a recent game?

Syracuse faces by far their stiffest test of the season against Maryland. Win or lose this game will be a real barometer of how far either Syracuse has come, or still needs to go. I am cautiously optimistic that SU can win this one, but they'll need to play really well. A couple of things I have my eye on ...

Maryland will try and stretch the SU defense and attack their short sticks. In last years match up, SU slid needlessly early in the game and gave Maryland's best shooters wide open looks. Whether it was a poor defensive game plan or they were jumpy to open the game, it didn't work. Maryland doesn't have All American caliber midfielders, but they have guys who will make you pay. I have a lot of faith in Carter Rice, but this will be a prove it game for Vinnie Trujilio, Jake Spallina and whoever else is playing short stick for SU.

Eric Malever and Bradon Erksa are the Terps best dodging options - Billy Dwan and Riley Figuerias will undoubtedly have those matchups. That leaves Caden Kol to mark Danny Maltz, which I worry about. Maltz is not a dodger but he is crafty and works really well off ball. Kol, as has been discussed here often, does not do well in off-ball situations. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Caccamo come in to replace the Orange captain if he keeps playing the way he has the last two games.

Face-offs will of course decide a lot in this game. Luke Weirman won something like 77% of the draws last year. One would have to think that SU can do better in that department this year. The big question is how much better? Will 45% be enough? 50%? It feels like SU will need to keep this close to have a shot.

Joey Spallina will draw perhaps his toughest draw this year in Ajax Zappatello - he held Evan James to zero points and just two shots last week after he went for eight points the previous week. Spallina was held pretty much in check last year when he drew Brett Makar last year (one goal one assist). I think Spallina needs to produce something here, somewhere in the vicinity of three points, but also can't force the issue. If he plays like he has the last three games that shouldn't be a problem, but it remains to be seen how much space the Terps will give him to operate.

Like DoctahLexus pointed out, someone needs to step up this week to help support Spallina. Can Owen Hiltz have a five point game? Can multiple midfielders put together three point games? Jackson Birtwistle was the leading scorer in last year's game with three goals and Hiltz had three points. Someone needs to put pressure on the Terps defense and take some heat of Spallina. Would be a great time for Finn Thomson or Sam English to have a breakout game (combined for just eight points, Thomson shooting just 14% so far). It feels like one of those two needs to have a multi point game.

The Orange made last year's matchup look respectable in the end, but it never really felt like SU was in it, as the face-offs were such an up hill climb. Syracuse was helped by the fact Maryland was playing a backup goalie who was soon replaced in the starting lineup. That won't be the case this year as Logan McAnaney is back in cage for Maryland. I imagine he'll play pretty well, so the Orange will really have to win more face-offs to counteract his presence.

It's a tall task but I think SU can come out of this game with a win. I don't think it's a must win game, especially this early in the season, but the Orange have to start winning some of these top 10 matchups if they want to be taken seriously.

Maryland SSDM Alex Wicks is also reportedly out with injury seems they are very very thin there

Syracuse faces by far their stiffest test of the season against Maryland. Win or lose this game will be a real barometer of how far either Syracuse has come, or still needs to go. I am cautiously optimistic that SU can win this one, but they'll need to play really well. A couple of things I have my eye on ...

Maryland will try and stretch the SU defense and attack their short sticks. In last years match up, SU slid needlessly early in the game and gave Maryland's best shooters wide open looks. Whether it was a poor defensive game plan or they were jumpy to open the game, it didn't work. Maryland doesn't have All American caliber midfielders, but they have guys who will make you pay. I have a lot of faith in Carter Rice, but this will be a prove it game for Vinnie Trujilio, Jake Spallina and whoever else is playing short stick for SU.

Eric Malever and Bradon Erksa are the Terps best dodging options - Billy Dwan and Riley Figuerias will undoubtedly have those matchups. That leaves Caden Kol to mark Danny Maltz, which I worry about. Maltz is not a dodger but he is crafty and works really well off ball. Kol, as has been discussed here often, does not do well in off-ball situations. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nick Caccamo come in to replace the Orange captain if he keeps playing the way he has the last two games.

Face-offs will of course decide a lot in this game. Luke Weirman won something like 77% of the draws last year. One would have to think that SU can do better in that department this year. The big question is how much better? Will 45% be enough? 50%? It feels like SU will need to keep this close to have a shot.

Joey Spallina will draw perhaps his toughest draw this year in Ajax Zappatello - he held Evan James to zero points and just two shots last week after he went for eight points the previous week. Spallina was held pretty much in check last year when he drew Brett Makar last year (one goal one assist). I think Spallina needs to produce something here, somewhere in the vicinity of three points, but also can't force the issue. If he plays like he has the last three games that shouldn't be a problem, but it remains to be seen how much space the Terps will give him to operate.

Like DoctahLexus pointed out, someone needs to step up this week to help support Spallina. Can Owen Hiltz have a five point game? Can multiple midfielders put together three point games? Jackson Birtwistle was the leading scorer in last year's game with three goals and Hiltz had three points. Someone needs to put pressure on the Terps defense and take some heat of Spallina. Would be a great time for Finn Thomson or Sam English to have a breakout game (combined for just eight points, Thomson shooting just 14% so far). It feels like one of those two needs to have a multi point game.

The Orange made last year's matchup look respectable in the end, but it never really felt like SU was in it, as the face-offs were such an up hill climb. Syracuse was helped by the fact Maryland was playing a backup goalie who was soon replaced in the starting lineup. That won't be the case this year as Logan McAnaney is back in cage for Maryland. I imagine he'll play pretty well, so the Orange will really have to win more face-offs to counteract his presence.

It's a tall task but I think SU can come out of this game with a win. I don't think it's a must win game, especially this early in the season, but the Orange have to start winning some of these top 10 matchups if they want to be taken seriously.

Good stuff was waiting on you post so I could piggy back off of it was I wanted to go in a different direction then breaking down the O vs D matchups as I think they are pretty clear.

Maryland's a very good team, not as good as 2022 or 2021 but still a top 5/7 team. I think SU matches up fairly well but there are a few areas that to me are a major concern. The most obvious I think is McAnaney. I could easily see him having a monster game against SU not only because he's an excellent goalie but because SU can get in a bad habit of shooting high to high or low to low with little variation. Against a guy like McAnaney you have to vary angles and shot placement and incorporate high to low, low to high and bouncers. SU at times gets way to predictable I worry they may fall into bad habits on Sat.

Powells point about secondary scorers is spot on. The loss of Kirst on this team hasn't been felt yet but I think this could be the first game it's apparent. Mule hasn't been bad but after a hot against Vermont he's cooled off the last two games. He's a smaller guy and I worry he may get swallowed up a bit against the elite defenses ie Maryland, ND, UVA etc. Would like to see him have 2-3 pts on Sat. Sounds like he's likely to draw Burlace who will have a major height and weight advantage. The other guy you mentioned that I will be watching for is Thomson. Great overall lax player but I worry a bit that his elite box skills may not fully transfer to the field game. No panic after three games but as Powell pointed out he's only shooting 15% on the year. He feels at times like he's playing out of place at midfield but his dodging ability makes playing attack unlikely at this level and the staff reportedly agrees. He seems highly likely to draw a short stick, gonna need him to produce to win. Hiltz has been really good so far this year but 8 turnovers is a lot. He's likely going to be asked to dodge on Saturday and needs to limit the turnovers. English only has 3 pts in 3 games but my recollection is he has been drawing the pole most games. Much like Kirst it feels like Alex Simmons was undervalued for what he did last year at middie, though English as noted is drawing a lot of attention and still appears to be feeling his way. Whether its him or Leo SU will need a big game from the midfield as Maryland's strength is at closed D.

I am interested to see what potential moves SU makes if the O struggles against Marylands Defense especially the attack with Zap sure to draw Joey. Probably unlikely but I wonder if March would bump a guy like Birtwistle to attack to get a few runs, he has zero fear of dodging to shoot/score as we all know. Obviously Elijah-Brown is down the depth chart currently making the enormous jump from OCC to D1 and hard to see how inserting Deere would help at this time. A bit surprised Brown and Deere aren't red-shirting, seems like a waste of a year to be honest.

Defensively I think again your talking the third D spot and SSDM's. Maryland's O isn't UVA but its more then solid and will punish teams who make mistakes. Again as Powell pointed out, penalties will be absolutely critical for SU. Have to keep it to an absolute minimum, I am thinking max 3 or 4. Maryland committing zero in 2 days is absurd, there a very disciplined team under Tilman but that seems improbable. Kol has played OK but you fear his continued issue off ball will be hammered by Maryland. Would prefer we roll with Caccamo at this point as he's come in 2 games straight and probably should be starting. A bit disappointing that with so many poles on the roster including two grad guys we still can't seem to get that 3rd spot squared away. Olexxo to close by the ACC schedule seems inevitable.

I think NYClax is correct in that if SU can limit Erksa and Malever (a big if) they should be in a decent spot to win. That said Maryland doesn't tend to make a lot of mistakes under Tillman, gonna be critical SU isn't giving up a ton of EMO's or easy looks off of bad turnovers, dumb mistakes, failed clears or bad shots. Faceoffs I left for last because I think its pretty clear on what has to happen. Wierman is a monster but you have to at least get to 45%+, if he's winning 70% + again or the nearly 80% he had against Loyola last week it's not gonna matter if SU has an all star team from the powell eras out there. Kohn has been excellent but Weirman is a whole other level. Between him and John id like to think SU can get to at least 45%+.

All in all this is will be a fascinating game to see how SU stands up and really a game SU needs. The schedule just continues to ramp up after this (Utah at 1230 on a Wed will not be easy). SU needs to be 2-1 at minimum after the next 3 games.

Maryland SSDM Alex Wicks is also reportedly out with injury seems they are very very thin there

Believe he got hurt last week against Loyola. I do believe Coffman is back after missing the last few years but is still just getting his feet wet. I don't think he's gonna be playing 40+ mins.

Believe he got hurt last week against Loyola. I do believe Coffman is back after missing the last few years but is still just getting his feet wet. I don't think he's gonna be playing 40+ mins.
Wicks went down about half way through.
The Terps seemed to go the rest of the way with a rotation of the other 3: Sharkey, Redd and Stamos.

Hopefully, we will get someone besides QK to announce this game.

Last edited:
Wicks went down about half way through.
The Terps seemed to go the rest of the way with a rotation of he other 3: Sharkey, Redd and Stamos.

Hopefully, we will get someone besides QK to announce this game.
I believe Paul Carcaterra said he & Chris Cotter are announcing the game, and they'll be at the Dome.

Last edited:
Good stuff was waiting on you post so I could piggy back off of it was I wanted to go in a different direction then breaking down the O vs D matchups as I think they are pretty clear.

Maryland's a very good team, not as good as 2022 or 2021 but still a top 5/7 team. I think SU matches up fairly well but there are a few areas that to me are a major concern. The most obvious I think is McAnaney. I could easily see him having a monster game against SU not only because he's an excellent goalie but because SU can get in a bad habit of shooting high to high or low to low with little variation. Against a guy like McAnaney you have to vary angles and shot placement and incorporate high to low, low to high and bouncers. SU at times gets way to predictable I worry they may fall into bad habits on Sat.

Powells point about secondary scorers is spot on. The loss of Kirst on this team hasn't been felt yet but I think this could be the first game it's apparent. Mule hasn't been bad but after a hot against Vermont he's cooled off the last two games. He's a smaller guy and I worry he may get swallowed up a bit against the elite defenses ie Maryland, ND, UVA etc. Would like to see him have 2-3 pts on Sat. Sounds like he's likely to draw Burlace who will have a major height and weight advantage. The other guy you mentioned that I will be watching for is Thomson. Great overall lax player but I worry a bit that his elite box skills may not fully transfer to the field game. No panic after three games but as Powell pointed out he's only shooting 15% on the year. He feels at times like he's playing out of place at midfield but his dodging ability makes playing attack unlikely at this level and the staff reportedly agrees. He seems highly likely to draw a short stick, gonna need him to produce to win. Hiltz has been really good so far this year but 8 turnovers is a lot. He's likely going to be asked to dodge on Saturday and needs to limit the turnovers. English only has 3 pts in 3 games but my recollection is he has been drawing the pole most games. Much like Kirst it feels like Alex Simmons was undervalued for what he did last year at middie, though English as noted is drawing a lot of attention and still appears to be feeling his way. Whether its him or Leo SU will need a big game from the midfield as Maryland's strength is at closed D.

I am interested to see what potential moves SU makes if the O struggles against Marylands Defense especially the attack with Zap sure to draw Joey. Probably unlikely but I wonder if March would bump a guy like Birtwistle to attack to get a few runs, he has zero fear of dodging to shoot/score as we all know. Obviously Elijah-Brown is down the depth chart currently making the enormous jump from OCC to D1 and hard to see how inserting Deere would help at this time. A bit surprised Brown and Deere aren't red-shirting, seems like a waste of a year to be honest.

Defensively I think again your talking the third D spot and SSDM's. Maryland's O isn't UVA but its more then solid and will punish teams who make mistakes. Again as Powell pointed out, penalties will be absolutely critical for SU. Have to keep it to an absolute minimum, I am thinking max 3 or 4. Maryland committing zero in 2 days is absurd, there a very disciplined team under Tilman but that seems improbable. Kol has played OK but you fear his continued issue off ball will be hammered by Maryland. Would prefer we roll with Caccamo at this point as he's come in 2 games straight and probably should be starting. A bit disappointing that with so many poles on the roster including two grad guys we still can't seem to get that 3rd spot squared away. Olexxo to close by the ACC schedule seems inevitable.

I think NYClax is correct in that if SU can limit Erksa and Malever (a big if) they should be in a decent spot to win. That said Maryland doesn't tend to make a lot of mistakes under Tillman, gonna be critical SU isn't giving up a ton of EMO's or easy looks off of bad turnovers, dumb mistakes, failed clears or bad shots. Faceoffs I left for last because I think its pretty clear on what has to happen. Wierman is a monster but you have to at least get to 45%+, if he's winning 70% + again or the nearly 80% he had against Loyola last week it's not gonna matter if SU has an all star team from the powell eras out there. Kohn has been excellent but Weirman is a whole other level. Between him and John id like to think SU can get to at least 45%+.

All in all this is will be a fascinating game to see how SU stands up and really a game SU needs. The schedule just continues to ramp up after this (Utah at 1230 on a Wed will not be easy). SU needs to be 2-1 at minimum after the next 3 games.
Wow - tremendous summary! To me, face-offs and the Cuse offense vs Maryland D will be the deciding factors. We will learn a lot about how good our offense is. If Will Mark has a great game, he could be a "WILLD" card.

I like the way the schedule is set up - if we struggle against MD, it will be a reality check and we will have some time to work on improvement before we face the ACC pretty boys in late March and April.

I can't wait to see this one in prime time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom