Mascot: Time for a change? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mascot: Time for a change?

upload_2015-10-14_20-37-2.jpeg
I Like the Providence College Mascot!

Didnt they try to do this during the early 90's. Thought the PS came out with some suggestions or something.

Yes, there was some talk of it years ago, I kind of remember wolf and warrior being two of the suggestions. My suggestion at the time was an Orang, a real one not some guy in a costume - still think that would be a pretty cool mascot due to its uniqueness and the possibilities. The New Times published a letter to the editor of mine at the time concerning this matter.

Although I'm not a big Otto fan it's better than the alternatives bandied about through the years, no sense in making a change.

I support Otto, though I would trade him in for a better option in a heartbeat.

I can't say I understand why the gladiator style saltine warrior didn't stick in the early eighties. I get that it wasn't the old warrior, but next best thing under PC constraints?

I say take one from the FSU book, and go back to the saltine warrior and do it the right way, by honoring the Iroquois, and the five nations of the Haudenosaunee.

When chief ass hole-a comes out on the horse and plunges his spear into the fifty, that's pretty impressive.

Not quite as impressive as Otto on a motorcycle, or surf board, or ... ;)

bevosu said:
What's with the "Then it was a Saltine Warrior, a gladiator (that got laughed off the field)" My memory is a little foggy. but that never happened.

Got me. I don't remember that.

I can't believe we got rid of the Saltine Warrior in 1978 because he was a Native American, yet here we are almost 40 years later and the Washington Redskins still exist.

Didnt they try to do this during the early 90's. Thought the PS came out with some suggestions or something.
They did..and got laughed out of publication ( i wish ).

They suggested a freakin wolf for a mascot i remember. I almost lost my stuff.

Macky44 said:
They did..and got laughed out of publication ( i wish ). They suggested a freakin wolf for a mascot i remember. I almost lost my stuff.
It had enough legs to get on the schedule poster.

image-1778456241.jpg

If we get rid of Otto I would ignore it and always refer to our mascot as otto even if he was something else. Otto is Syracuse and Syracuse is Otto.

Whats next saying we need to Change of our orange and blue colors?
Syracuse Greyhounds. Blends in with the weather and our Nike color scheme.

NO!!! Do not change the mascot. Is this thread for real right now!?

I can't believe we got rid of the Saltine Warrior in 1978 because he was a Native American, yet here we are almost 40 years later and the Washington Redskins still exist.

40 years is plenty of time to get over it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom