Matt Moyer transferring | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Moyer transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was but he’s very tight with Hop.

With Roberts and Carter, doubt he would be playing much there either.

Could happen I guess but have a feeling he'll end up at a non power 5 spot.

Find all the other threads on the hoops board where I mention conspiracy theories and get back to me.
You like to state how threads are going to turn into something bad like all your posts are put on a pedestal. Please.

The same behind the scenes value he had with Kaleb Joseph, Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson?
Of those 3 the only I wanted to stay was BJ and he transferred to the school his dad went to in the town he was from

Agreed

I'd expect us to look to take a flyer at Forward in 18 class that's uncommitted for depth purposes. Someone who will redshirt and develop over the next few years

A guy I assume we know about is Giorgi Bazhanishvili, a teammate of Valdir Manuel and Majur Majak at The Patrick School. 6'9" 230. Uncommitted. Solid shooter and passer but needs some work. He just visited Illinois. Interest from schools like Manhattan, Minnesota and St. Bonaventure.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of player the staff targets, of anyone at all. What position is considered a need to the staff.

He announced this before the team has even scheduled exit interviews with the coaches to discuss the future:
I mean it’s obvious he is gone because of the Wake postgame.

Wish him well and find another recruit for next year.
I keep saying Ryan Luther from Pitt.

Not sure Luther is a good fit. As I've mentioned before, I'm a senior at Pitt, so I've seen Luther his whole career here. He's gone from a fringe P5 player his freshman year to a key 6th man on the team last year. I liked getting AW and JG last season because we needed some plug and play grad transfers. But Luther would come here and probably wouldn't start over Baz or Brissett and he'd only take development time from Dolezaj. Plus Luther's defense has been average at best. If Brissett and Bazley each get 30mpg, that leaves 20mpg between Dolezaj and Luther at the forward spots. I guess Luther could play some minutes at the 5, but that wouldn't be ideal.

As for Moyer, I'm sad to see him go. I haven't seen a recruit as passionate about Syracuse basketball as he was. I was hoping he could develop into a Kristof Ongenaet type player. Curious as to the reason(s) (JB's comments, Battle potentially leaving, and/or playing time). Regardless, I'll definitely be rooting for him wherever he winds up.

This trend of attacking ex player's parents on this board is really a bad look for the board, imo.

Of course, if you post on the board, like BJs dad, then all is good. Apparantly he wasn't coddled
So are we just supposed to ignore it? Why should parents get a free pass? TT’s mom didn’t. Are they fair game if the player commits elsewhere like Bryant and Tucker?

I don't have a problem with it. If you ever have the chance to coach a sport, you will see for yourself how intrusive parents can be. Everyone thinks their kid can be a pro and that they know better than the coach. A parent should never do what Moyer's father did. Matt is a grown man. He can't have his parents leaving Ohio for a sprained ankle.

Poor kid is going to be coddled all his life.

This trend of attacking ex player's parents on this board is really a bad look for the board, imo.

Of course, if you post on the board, like BJs dad, then all is good. Apparantly he wasn't coddled

Well, it's a great thing no other kids we will recruit in the future will have parents actively involved in their child's recruitment and college career. Otherwise, things like this might have an impact on actually getting the recruit.

With Roberts and Carter, doubt he would be playing much there either.

Could happen I guess but have a feeling he'll end up at a non power 5 spot.

I agree with you, was just responding to whom his recruiter was. Matt was recruited by Gerry but Hop too. I have no doubt that Hop leaving was tough for Matt.

The head coach saying negative crap about a player's parents is a really bad look for the program, IMO.

This is awful news. I think it has less to do with playing time than you'd think. It's A factor, yeah, probably.

Matt was instrumental in bringing Elijah Hughes to SU. I'm sure this really sucks for him too.
Ok, I’ll bite on this. So you really believe JB would just burn a bridge by speaking publicly about a player and his parents (albeit briefly) when he didn’t have to? I think there has to be more to that story than has been revealed.

Last edited:
This writing was probably on the wall since the DNP fallout following his injury. From a playing time perspective, this seems like a good move for Matt. I wish him all the best, hard not to root for a kid like this.
Thought he'd do it after next year. I figure he'd have his degree after 3 years with all the summer school plus he's a good student. After next year, he'd still have 2 years without having to sit out. Now he has to sit out again with 2 years left. He's effectively taken 4 years of eligibility and reduced it to 3. He might have been able to carve out a role on next year's team that has a real shot at making a long tourney run.

wow, total blindside. Too bad, kid had lots going for him in the long haul. I thought the blow up a few weeks ago with JB was already water under the bridge... dang had high hopes for him.

Well, it's a great thing no other kids we will recruit in the future will have parents actively involved in their child's recruitment and college career. Otherwise, things like this might have an impact on actually getting the recruit.
Because this is the only school with fans who criticize parents.

Pin the BJ thread. Problem solved.

I wouldn't call BJs dad one who coddles.

How about we become the only school with fans who DON'T criticize parents???

That would be cool, right?

I'm far less worried about the fans criticizing parents. Grandpa grumpy grey pants doesn't have to answer every question at a presser, nor should he ever mention a players parents.

Ignore "it"

You literally have no idea what "it" means.
We have absolutely no idea to the truth of the stories. none.
Not true. We’ve seen Annette’s posts on social media. We know Fred drove out to campus to pursuade JB to sit MM for a game.

I wouldn't call BJs dad one who coddles.

Why not?
We have no idea why BJ transferred. Maybe he couldn't take it. Maybe he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to wear the Syracuse across his chest!!

(Fwiw I don't believe any of the above. I'm trying to make a point)

How about we become the only school with fans who DON'T criticize parents???

That would be cool, right?
That would be a pipe dream. (And would have zero impact on recruiting.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom