Matt Park | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Matt Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean Twitter is about the most toxic out of touch echo chamber social media platform to conduct these type of surveys.
Parody accounts galore, no real control.

It’s a stupid platform to conduct that type of survey.

And if he isn't smart enough to figure this out by now, then that's telling.

And if he isn't smart enough to figure this out by now, then that's telling.
It’s dumb because nobody with actual influence would be stupid enough to answer his survey.
Thus, it’s not scientific at all and is the equivalent of CuseRunner saying he has 20 friends who see nothing wrong with the basketball program.

B8CB09C1-75F6-4D5C-B38A-781DF3975CE5.gif

Live image of Matt still posting about this topic

His numbers are similar but I haven't seen him draw the other team's best defender or create offense the way Hughes did last year. I will admit I haven't been able to watch nearly as many games this year since I don't have the ACC network.

I think that's a fair take.

As somebody who works in social media, I get where Matt is going with the survey. He's trying to get an idea of who is vocal about Cuse sports. The donation question was poorly phrased, but again, he's trying to get a sense of who is interacting.

My two cents on Syracuse basketball as a whole - the game has evolved immensely ever since I started seriously watching (2003 was our family's first year of season tickets). Yes, the Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas teams are still getting top talent. But, kids that are still really darn good players, are going to schools like NCST, FSU, etc. Not your typical basketball powerhouses. Syracuse is 10,000% having down years, but other teams that were cakewalks before are legit teams now.

It all boils down to recruiting. I've said for quite sometime that I cannot stand the project players that Syracuse recruits. At the center position, I don't have to get too deep into it. No legit strength on the interior. Sidibe was close, but the injuries have held him back. Then you've got a guy like Edwards who really brings height and that's about it. Frank, we haven't seen enough to get a good glimpse of what he can bring. In other spots, we've recruited guys like Moyer (transfer), Braswell (was never high on him. Just feels awkward watching him at times), and they don't pan out (Kaleb, Chino). They're scholarships that essentially end up wasted when they don't play/aren't ready/transfer. Yes, you will get guys like CJ, Grant, that contribute to all-conference levels, but it doesn't help if the next guy up isn't ready. Easier said than done, but SU really needs to focus on guys who come to campus ready to play.

For coaching, I love Boeheim. Everything he's done for the school and to put us on the map. The game has gone by him. We don't need to beat the Kadary drum again. The 2-3 zone worked years ago when teams weren't shooting and making threes more than ever before. I don't have a problem with the zone, but I have a problem when teams are shooting lights out and we still sit in the zone. They're D1 players - they should be able to play man-to-man defense. Offensively, it's also isolation ball. Buddy drive to the elbow, stops dribbling, looks to fade. AG drives, stepback for a shot, or a three pointer with a man on him in the triple threat. It's an easy offense to prepare against and obviously if shots don't fall, they aren't winning. Running offensive sets at least gets you the opportunity for a great shot rather than iso ball.

Facilities, we have the Dome. We can pack 34k for a bigtime game and 17k for a cupcake. Everything else, big time schools have exactly the same (practice facilities, training rooms). If I'm a player and have multiple offers, why would I choose Syracuse when I could get the same treatment at a Duke, UNC, UVA with the same benefits (ACC grind, on TV a lot, put players in the league).

I think post Boeheim will be a huge test for us as a fanbase. If a guy like Hopkins comes back and can recruit great players to come, awesome. Syracuse will be the top job when he's done, unless Coach K, Roy, Cal, any of those guys move on at the same time. At the end of the day, I think it comes down to recruiting legit basketball players (not 4 year projects) and a legit coaching scheme.

I don't think it's wrong to have an expectation of 20 wins every year and a top 6 seed in the tournament.

TLDR: Recruiting needs to be better, game has gone by Boeheim, but no clue if the next guy will bring us back to glory immediately.

Coaching comps with replacing a legend is tough right now. Dean Smith, Wooden, Calhoun maybe all left programs in good shape. We are trending more toward Thompson and the Hoyas which obviously makes the rebuild that much harder.

Syracuse’s offense is based on making tough shots. I watch other teams and they get teammates wide open. Our bigs don’t set screens because they are told to stand and the wings will run around them. I don’t see SU playing with a purpose. Our offense is totally dictated by the defense. We don’t put much pressure of opposing defenses. They just overplay our wings and dare SU to do anything else.

As somebody who works in social media, I get where Matt is going with the survey. He's trying to get an idea of who is vocal about Cuse sports. The donation question was poorly phrased, but again, he's trying to get a sense of who is interacting.

My two cents on Syracuse basketball as a whole - the game has evolved immensely ever since I started seriously watching (2003 was our family's first year of season tickets). Yes, the Duke, UNC, UK, Kansas teams are still getting top talent. But, kids that are still really darn good players, are going to schools like NCST, FSU, etc. Not your typical basketball powerhouses. Syracuse is 10,000% having down years, but other teams that were cakewalks before are legit teams now.

It all boils down to recruiting. I've said for quite sometime that I cannot stand the project players that Syracuse recruits. At the center position, I don't have to get too deep into it. No legit strength on the interior. Sidibe was close, but the injuries have held him back. Then you've got a guy like Edwards who really brings height and that's about it. Frank, we haven't seen enough to get a good glimpse of what he can bring. In other spots, we've recruited guys like Moyer (transfer), Braswell (was never high on him. Just feels awkward watching him at times), and they don't pan out (Kaleb, Chino). They're scholarships that essentially end up wasted when they don't play/aren't ready/transfer. Yes, you will get guys like CJ, Grant, that contribute to all-conference levels, but it doesn't help if the next guy up isn't ready. Easier said than done, but SU really needs to focus on guys who come to campus ready to play.

For coaching, I love Boeheim. Everything he's done for the school and to put us on the map. The game has gone by him. We don't need to beat the Kadary drum again. The 2-3 zone worked years ago when teams weren't shooting and making threes more than ever before. I don't have a problem with the zone, but I have a problem when teams are shooting lights out and we still sit in the zone. They're D1 players - they should be able to play man-to-man defense. Offensively, it's also isolation ball. Buddy drive to the elbow, stops dribbling, looks to fade. AG drives, stepback for a shot, or a three pointer with a man on him in the triple threat. It's an easy offense to prepare against and obviously if shots don't fall, they aren't winning. Running offensive sets at least gets you the opportunity for a great shot rather than iso ball.

Facilities, we have the Dome. We can pack 34k for a bigtime game and 17k for a cupcake. Everything else, big time schools have exactly the same (practice facilities, training rooms). If I'm a player and have multiple offers, why would I choose Syracuse when I could get the same treatment at a Duke, UNC, UVA with the same benefits (ACC grind, on TV a lot, put players in the league).

I think post Boeheim will be a huge test for us as a fanbase. If a guy like Hopkins comes back and can recruit great players to come, awesome. Syracuse will be the top job when he's done, unless Coach K, Roy, Cal, any of those guys move on at the same time. At the end of the day, I think it comes down to recruiting legit basketball players (not 4 year projects) and a legit coaching scheme.

I don't think it's wrong to have an expectation of 20 wins every year and a top 6 seed in the tournament.

TLDR: Recruiting needs to be better, game has gone by Boeheim, but no clue if the next guy will bring us back to glory immediately.

Great post IMO.

I've always been a big JB fan as well, however, in my view, JB didn't put SU on the map. SU made it to the final four in '75, prior to JB at the helm. In my opinion, what really put SU on the map (nationally) first and foremost was the advent of ESPN, the Big East Basketball conference and the Carrier Dome. JB, as any good coach would do, took advantage of those significant benefits/positives and rode the wave to the hilt. It really was the perfect storm, so to speak, that launched SU hoops into the stratosphere.

Great post IMO.

I've always been a big JB fan as well, however, in my view, JB didn't put SU on the map. SU made it to the final four in '75, prior to JB at the helm. In my opinion, what really put SU on the map first and foremost was the advent of ESPN, the Big East Basketball conference and the Carrier Dome. JB, as any good coach would do, took advantage of those benefits/positives and rode the wave to the hilt. It really was the perfect storm (in a good way) that launched SU hoops into the stratosphere.

Some would say that the real brains behind that team was JB.

Not me. I have no idea as I wasn’t alive.

Syracuse basketball should make the tournament every single year. It’s not like 12 teams make the tournament...
And the other 346 division 1 schools are saying the same thing.

What is he doing? Someone from the school needs to step in and save Matt from himself.
For all we know someone did step in and this is the outcome. The only solution is to stop tweeting period. Simply say sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intent. We all are fans, stay safe and Go Cuse. That's it. Full stop.

For all we know someone did step in and this is the outcome. The only solution is to stop tweeting period. Simply say sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intent. We all are fans, stay safe and Go Cuse. That's it. Full stop.

If this is The Plan then maybe ADJW isn’t the guy we think he is, and the message board posting makes A LOT more sense.

So only Syracuse fans are allowed to demand that they make the tournament every year.
People can demand whatever they want. There is also something called reasonable expectation. You missed that mark clearly when you said all 347 D1 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom