Matthew Bergeron invited to Reese's Senior Bowl | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Matthew Bergeron invited to Reese's Senior Bowl

From the Ringer today

The Senior Bowl has an open secret.​

Bergeron played plenty on the interior this week, where many expect his best pro ball will be played, and he looked like an NFL starter. It’s a quiet interior offensive line class this season, and tackle isn’t too much stronger—I’d wager more and more smoke musters around Bergeron in the coming months as a top guard prospect that some teams still like as a tackle.

Interesting that some teams think he’d be a better Guard thank Tackle.

I assume Bergeron’s preference would be to be drafted as a Tackle (20 OT’s make $15M+/ year, only 5 Guards make $15M+/ year).

I think he’s shown this week he’s someone you can draft as a Tackle, then start at Guard day 1 and move back to Tackle after an expensive veteran’s contract is up.

Teams love flexibility and this bodes well for him being a 1st rounder.

That clip needs some Jim Ross. Good gawd almighty! He killed a man!
And there is a tweet from Geoff Schwartz that this is distinctly holding and might blow out the ACL of his guard or QB. And I think he’s right, TBH.

One play! Bergeron’s gonna be a long time starter in the NFL. He’d be smart to cross train a bit at guard. Maybe he has.

No doubt whichever team drafts him will give him practice time at OT and OG to see how he fits. Nice to have versatility. Bergeron will be a pro for a long time. Then he can be Cuse OL coach

Ive only been watching the last 30 minutes. Has Bergeron played? Haven’t seen him.

Looks like he is playing LT for the American team to start the second half.

Senior Bowl: Matthew Bergeron earns points with NFL decision-makers

STÉPHANE CADORETTE

Saturday, 4 February 2023 19:51UPDATESaturday, 4 February 2023 19:51
Quebec blocker Matthew Bergeron continues to earn points with NFL decision-makers. His week at the Senior Bowl is another successful step toward his dream.

Bergeron spent the last few days in Mobile, Alabama, for this game of the best college prospects, which took place Saturday afternoon.
Not only did he take part in the game, as a starter on the first series, but during practices in the days before, he also drew praise.
The theringer.com site referred to the Syracuse University representative as the "worst-kept secret in the NFL."
On the air on NFL Network during the game, draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah mentioned the former Filons du Cégep de Thetford Mines as a potential second-round pick in the draft, which will take place from April 27 to 29.
"It was a great experience. I made new friends and met coaches from all over the place. On the field, I did well. I think it was also important apart from meeting good people and showing my personality to the teams. I was able to compete with high-level players and am proud of what I accomplished, "said Bergeron to theJournalin a telephone interview after the game.
Interview points
Even though the American team, of which he was a member, lost 27-10 against the national team, the young man from Victoriaville fully enjoyed his experience.
During the week in Alabama, Bergeron was able to meet with all 32 NFL teams in 15-minute interviews.
"On the ground, people are going to have their own opinions. People put a lot of emphasis on the film and I know it went well, but I really feel like in my interviews I won a lot of points. The teams realized that I was a sociable person and appreciated by the people around me. It was all positive. It weighs a lot in the balance," he said.
The friendly 6'5", 323 lb. athlete made no secret of the fact that the week had been as challenging as it was rewarding.
"I loved the experience with the guys and it ended on a high note even though we lost. It's been a long week and I'm physically and mentally exhausted. You're always learning new things and the teams really go into detail in interviews to get to know you. Whether it's playbook questions or even math, you have to be alert at all times," he explained.
Blocker or guard?
Even though he has played as a blocker throughout his career, Bergeron did a few reps as a guard this week. He expects to stay in his natural position at the next level, but he doesn't close any doors.
"When I talked to the general managers and coaches of the NFL, what came out was that they see me more as a blocker than a guard. For me, it's still reassuring. I proved this week that I can get into a team and play anywhere.
"At the end of the day, if a team drafts me to play guard, I'm going to play guard. It's not a problem, although my dream is to play blocker. All I can control is to be ready for both positions," he said wisely.
A great transition
At the end of the day, Bergeron is proud of the job done and realizes more and more that he already has a foot in the NFL by meeting coaches and general managers.
"Of course, at first it's impressive, but once the conversation starts, you see that it's people like you and me. You get used to it quickly. I'm not a college player anymore. I'm one of the players who will be drafted and I train with players who have been or are part of the NFL. It's slowly becoming a habit."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom