McD’s - Bazley | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

McD’s - Bazley

Reminder that Darius Bazley is playing in the McD’s All-American game tomorrow night. Set your DVR’s.

ESPN has expanded their coverage of the McD games and events. I dvr’d the East/West scrimmage that aired today.

Not that you can tell much from a structured scrimmage, but here’s a few thoughts on Bazley:

1) He’s your prototypical SU zone forward. Very long arms.
2) While he’s long, he’s super skinny right now. Probably 185lbs soaking wet. He struggled a bit with the bigger guys on the court. I hope he gets on a S&C program starting next week.
3) This is obviously a scrimmage/glorified practice, but Baz has been playing a bit timid. Not really aggressive, not looking for his own shot. The few moves he made were unsuccessful.
4) He’s been playing in the low post, but doesn’t look super comfortable down low. Rather poor rebounding position. Getting out rebounded multiple times.

Hopefully he performs better tomorrow. Probably not a guy that is going to shine in he McD format where ball-hogging and rapid shot taking is rewarded.
Sounds like the prototype for a guy that should play the 5!

I kid.

Winfred Walton convinced me he was going to be player of the year in his McDonald's game.

He would have been. Too bad his mom blamed JB and SU for him being ineligible. He should have sat out and took it like a man. Instead, she pushed him into obscurity.

Zion looks a bit like a mix of Paul Harris and Julius Randle. Definitely a unique player for Duke. His game is explosive but as a half court player, he may underwhelm. He relied on that physical stature to dominate so much in HS and it may not be so easy at this level. Still like his game but don't think he will be anything like Bagley was in terms of dominance.

BUT SCOUTS ON HERE WHO REALLY KNOW SAY HE'S NOT THAT GOOD

All I said was that he is pretty much strictly a perimeter guy and has a long ways to go to do anything in the paint/post. Needs to get a LOT stronger. He’s obviously very good. But, he’s far from Coleman or Odom in terms of getting stuff done in the paint, IMO.

All I said was that he is pretty much strictly a perimeter guy and has a long ways to go to do anything in the paint/post. Needs to get a LOT stronger. He’s obviously very good. But, he’s far from Coleman or Odom in terms of getting stuff done in the paint, IMO.

You won’t hesitate to pump the tires of some prospects committed elsewhere. But our guy needs a ton of work.

I did worry about the competition in HS. A dude that good can only get so much better going against that kind competition from November - March. Jalen Carey went through the gauntlet in HS this year.

As far as the rebounding - assuming OB/PC are both back and improve, they can probably take care of the rebounding on the defensive end much like they did this year (we weren't great on the boards in ACC play). Tyus had some good rebounding games, so I'm not sure if Hughes/Carey will replicate that from the top of the zone - but Frank could improve there and pitch in as well.

For those people saying we could play Marek/OB/Bazley together - maybe we can, but maybe Marek would play the 5 in that scenario.

Baz was the 3rd leading rebounder on the Nike EYBL circuit last summer. He can't just be a perimeter guy.

You won’t hesitate to pump the tires of some prospects committed elsewhere. But our guy needs a ton of work.

Uh right, guy. He’s an outstanding prospect and super skilled. Just needs to get a lot stronger and is a perimeter guy right now it seems. That’s the last I’ll comment about him to you.

Baz was the 3rd leading rebounder on the Nike EYBL circuit last summer. He can't just be a perimeter guy.

I think he has a knack for rebounding and the ball. I just meant scoring wise I don’t think he is strong enough to do much down there.

wasn't directed at you :)

Hope there is a hamburger eating contest at some point this week, and more importantly that Baze participates. Kid could really use it

I hope the kid doesn't come in thinking he's one and done 100% (i.e. McC).

In a couple of interviews, he sounds just a tad "confident".

Kind of yeah but like 3-4 inches shorter? Kemp was lean and diesel. Zion looks fat but still pretty explosive. I don’t know. I can’t even compare him to anybody really.

Korleone young

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do in the McD AA game. But as I have said before those of you expecting a low post rebounding power forward will be very disappointed in Bazely. That's not his game. I saw him play 3 times in person this year. All around team player cones to mind. He is not a back to the basket player. More of a face the basket drive or shoot and always willing to hit the open guy. He s 6'9" but closer to a SG than a PF.
He had a tremendous height advantage in high school but didn't post up very much. More typical was getting the ball on the wing or corner and driving the lane. As opposed to OB this year Bazely would take the 8 foot floater. He will be very good but a better comparison in his style may be a taller Lawrence Moten but a much better 3 or shooter than Poetry.
Obviously needs to get stronger but I'd rather see him shoot a couple thousand 3s a day. He will shoot more 3s next year than entry passes he receives.

He’s much more valuable to us as a point forward type than a back to the basket type guy...so seems like his skill set suits us better anyway .. let OB do the dirty inside scoring along with junk pickup by sidibe and PC

Korleone young

Wish I could find it but there was a great Vitale rant back in the day after the straight from high school to NBA scenario was ended. He was pleading/lamenting in this empassioned interview citing Korelone Young and Ndudi Ebi as “basketball vagabonds” who didn’t make it and received poor advice. It was a hilarious rant.

Wish I could find it but there was a great Vitale rant back in the day after the straight from high school to NBA scenario was ended. He was pleading/lamenting in this empassioned interview citing Korelone Young and Ndudi Ebi as “basketball vagabonds” who didn’t make it and received poor advice. It was a hilarious rant.

Don’t forget about that dude Lenny cook ... who now looks like jabba the hut

He would have been. Too bad his mom blamed JB and SU for him being ineligible. He should have sat out and took it like a man. Instead, she pushed him into obscurity.
Would've had to pay his own way for a year, right? That's hard to do, impossible for some, with private school tuition.

So Slater has now included bazley as a stand out player on Monday and Tuesday as well as talk about the scouts loving his game for the next level...yet people on here think he's second fiddle so far to the big strong burger boys that are rocking the rim down low with big dunks based off of a mcdaag scrimmage...as cuseincincy and some others have posted he is a different type of player then your zion/shittu type guys BUT bazley was an outstanding rebounder last summer in eybl against the best and had a knack for following up his misses and grabbing them for a put back. We can all sit here and talk about how he needs to get stronger, that's pretty obvious but to say you don't think he will do much in the paint or that he needs to get a LOT stronger is nuts. He will be just fine and i think we will put him in the best situation that fits his playing style..probably not going to have him posted up down low all the time... Also read that he isn't quick like durant?? Who have you been watching? have you seen bazleys first step or him running the court? He's pretty damn quick for a kid his size with a excellent handle. I think he will create serious mismatches for bigger and slower guys guarding him. Especially the type of kids built like linebackers. Maybe he does stick around for 2 years but I think with the skill set he has that it's very unlikely. I tend to lean towards bazley having a higher ceiling and better suited game for the pros then a lot of the linebackers playing in the mcdaag.

I guess you gotta do what you gotta do in the McD AA game. But as I have said before those of you expecting a low post rebounding power forward will be very disappointed in Bazely. That's not his game. I saw him play 3 times in person this year. All around team player cones to mind. He is not a back to the basket player. More of a face the basket drive or shoot and always willing to hit the open guy. He s 6'9" but closer to a SG than a PF.
He had a tremendous height advantage in high school but didn't post up very much. More typical was getting the ball on the wing or corner and driving the lane. As opposed to OB this year Bazely would take the 8 foot floater. He will be very good but a better comparison in his style may be a taller Lawrence Moten but a much better 3 or shooter than Poetry.
Obviously needs to get stronger but I'd rather see him shoot a couple thousand 3s a day. He will shoot more 3s next year than entry passes he receives.

I find this analysis very encouraging. Sounds like the kid doesn't necessarily fit a mold, which can make it harder for the teams he plays against. Bodes well.

How do you pronounce his first name, anyway?
Is it DARE-ee-us or Duh-RYE-us?

Bazely is a hybrid type player. I like the Wes Johnson comparison in that regard. I think Bazze has an even higher ceiling. He will be able to score at the rim, but it will NOT be as a post up player. I have a feeling this kid will be among the best finishers, and with either hand, that we have seen at SU.

Those thinking Zion Williamson is over rated are in for a shock, IMO. Great player

Bazley has to be ready to be a 35+ minute guy and be effective if Battle (which I think is gone) and Brissett leave. If Brissett stays he and Marek can help Bazley with the nuances of playing 3/4 on D. I really hope he is as good as y'all say because far too often I hear about guys that can hit from 30 feet with ease and dunk from the free throw line to find out they can't shoot and struggle dunking while starting under the basket.

I keep reading people comp him with Lamar Odom, and that would be great. I am seeing a Stacy Augmon type from UNLV's glory days.
Stacy Augmon - that's a name from the past! Reminds me of the quote from the Hawks coach (I think Bob Hill) when they drafted him. "Stacy was a bit upset about the salary cap, they didn't have one at UNLV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom