McDonough jab at Veley | Syracusefan.com

McDonough jab at Veley

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
Beautiful. "Mr Excitement." Aside from Cooney's heroics this was the other best part of the game.

Todd Gack said:
That wasn't a jab -- but I can't believe Boeheim was paying Veley a compliment.

JB dropped a deuce for the Cuse

It has to be a jab.
If not officially, Veley is communally recognized as "Mr. Excitement" -- and McDonough knows that. More than that, McDonough doesn't punch down -- particularly not on his alma mater.

Any idea what JB was talking to him about? Ambiguous tweets from Matt Park...

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1 1m
Yes, but I will keep that between them. “@gahugel: Any idea what Boeheim said to the PA announcer? @jhrubin
If not officially, Veley is communally recognized as "Mr. Excitement" -- and McDonough knows that. More than that, McDonough doesn't punch down -- particularly not on his alma mater.

McDonough will criticize or "punch down" quite a bit. He defiantly in the past has questionned and even mocked on the air JB regarding stall ball during a meltdown in progress.

As for Mr. Excitement. I honestly thought that was a common known sarcastic nickname for him. He's hardly excitement, imo. My mistake.

McDonough will criticize or "punch down" quite a bit. He defiantly in the past has questionned and even mocked on the air JB regarding stall ball during a meltdown in progress.

As for Mr. Excitement. I honestly thought that was a common known sarcastic nickname for him. He's hardly excitement, imo. My mistake.
Ha, questioning a coach's choices is his job -- also, great as McDonough is: McDonough punches up at Boeheim.

That's how the last PA announcer introduced him when Veley just did play-by-play for contests. Veley's job was to make the contests more exciting and he did alright with that.

How is "Mr. Excitement" not an ironic moniker mocking Veley for how boring and lame he is?! So someone actually thinks he's exciting???! ...and worthy of that nickname?:bat:couchburn:confused:

How is "Mr. Excitement" not an ironic moniker mocking Veley for how boring and lame he is?! So someone actually thinks he's exciting???! ...and worthy of that nickname?:bat:couchburn:confused:

Nice and all these years I thought it was a clever "ironic moniker mocking" of Veley. Very disappointed!!

Nice and all these years I thought it was a clever "ironic moniker mocking" of Veley. Very disappointed!!

great minds think alike...I started my post and didnt see your post above. LOL. We typed almost the exact same thing.

great minds think alike...I started my post and didnt see your post above. LOL. We typed almost the exact same thing.

Amen. Still say it's a jab.

Let's get back to topic here. What the hell did JB say to Veley? I can't imagine he was asking about his golf game.

You are both selling McDonough's love for SU short.

Nothing to do with love or no love. I know how much he does and have spoken with him a few times. Regardless of Veley's nickname; even if he truly was a true "Mr. Excitement" at some point, he isn't now and hasn't been for years. I personally just won't accept that nickname as anything other than mockery.

Let's get back to topic here. What the hell did JB say to Veley? I can't imagine he was asking about his golf game.

Right. Veley did look like he had his tail between his legs during that brief camera shot.

And your "great minds" are officially wrong -- SU's press release announcing "Mr. Excitement" as the public address announcer: http://cuse.com/news/2006/9/6/veleyintro_9606.aspx.

What say you now about McDonough?

I said nothing about McDonough. I was pointing out that Veley is a bore and the Mr. Excitement moniker makes no sense. He's not exciting. He's the opposite of that.

So when people on this board called him Mr. Excitement, I assumed it was an inside joke.

I said nothing about McDonough. I was pointing out that Veley is a bore and the Mr. Excitement moniker makes no sense. He's not exciting. He's the opposite of that.

So when people on this board called him Mr. Excitement, I assumed it was an inside joke.
The McDonough comment was to Spicoli. As to Veley, you assumed wrong.

a couple times Mr Excitement was rambling mid play. could that have been it?

Rocco said:

Check the other thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom