McMurphy: Temple to BE after it settles with MAC | Syracusefan.com

McMurphy: Temple to BE after it settles with MAC

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Temple has given the Big East a verbal agreement it will join the league in 2012, but an official announcement can not be made until the Owls finalize their settlement to leave the Mid-American Conference, sources told CBSSports.com.

The Big East wants to make the announcement that Temple is joining by Monday so it won’t conflict with the Big East men’s basketball tournament, which starts Tuesday in New York. Whether it will happen that quickly depends on the Owls’ negotiations with the MAC.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/35063868

woo-hoo.jpg

This move could create a bit of a shuffle within certain mid-major conferences.

Temple will most likely leave the A-10 for all sports and join the BE in everything, meaning the A-10 will likely look to fill a void by convincing an up-and-coming team from a smaller conference to join.

But what schools have the facilities in the general area? Could a MAAC school like Fairfield make the jump? The CAA is about on par with the A-10 these days, so I doubt anyone from that conference would be interested - maybe Hofstra? A Boston University from the America East? I wouldn't think they would be interested.

Maybe an NEC school like Quinnipiac (new arena with high capacity) or LIU (good basketball team, new facility), but those are unlikely as well.

Could be interesting in the coming weeks/months...

Joining the A-10 has seemed to be the goal of BU forever. I think the biggest question now maybe the timing. Given the recent legal problems with some members of the hockey team they might be hesitant to jump.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Temple added on a football-only basis for next year. It avoids a messy/expensive divorce from the A-10. They can be all-in for 2013-2014.

Temple has given the Big East a verbal agreement it will join the league in 2012, but an official announcement can not be made until the Owls finalize their settlement to leave the Mid-American Conference, sources told CBSSports.com.

The Big East wants to make the announcement that Temple is joining by Monday so it won’t conflict with the Big East men’s basketball tournament, which starts Tuesday in New York. Whether it will happen that quickly depends on the Owls’ negotiations with the MAC.

http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/35063868

Maybe I am pointing out the obvious but while contemplating the notion of playing Rutgers twice, I recalled a day where I could not tell the difference between the two. Both were crappy teams with fairly similar colors (white and red versus white and Maroon). So is there really a difference? At least Temple has a chance with decent coaching.