MCW along with NN give Philly only A+: Chat Ford ESPN | Syracusefan.com

MCW along with NN give Philly only A+: Chat Ford ESPN

arbitragegls

All Conference
PHILADELPHIA 76ERS | GRADE: A+

Interestingly only A+ given out on draft night (have changed some below so it is okay
with ESPNinsider:
PHI.gif
Round 1: Nerlens Noel (6), Michael Carter-Williams (11)
Round 2: Arsalan Kazemi (54)
Analysis: New GM Sam Hinkie blew up the team in an effort to build a foundation of greatness. He made the boldest trade of the draft and walked away with a potential franchise center, a very promising point guard and a valuable 2014 first-round pick from the Pelicans.
It cost him All-Star point guard Jrue Holiday, but By next July, this team could have four young players (which includes MCW) with franchise potential on their roster. In three years, they could be wicked good.

A lot depends on NN's ability to get healthy. Definitely two guys with a ton of upside if the stars align. That Pelicans 1st rounder is a huge get as well considering the considerable improvement in the strength of next years draft. Realistically they may have turned Jrue Holiday into a likely top 10 pick in 2014, a guy who was thought of by many "experts" to go number one this year, and a guy many had as the number one point guard in this years draft.

Both players are huge gambles for Philly. Trading Holiday probably means that MCW gets force fed minutes year 1 [unless they go with Turner as a point forward]. Ditto Noel--he has some pretty big question marks as well.

It could pay off big, or it could be a debacle.

A lot depends on NN's ability to get healthy. Definitely two guys with a ton of upside if the stars align. That Pelicans 1st rounder is a huge get as well considering the considerable improvement in the strength of next years draft. Realistically they may have turned Jrue Holiday into a likely top 10 pick in 2014, a guy who was thought of by many "experts" to go number one this year, and a guy many had as the number one point guard in this years draft.

Keep in mind that it really doesn't matter whether NN is healthy by December or, for that matter, at all this year. The Sixers are gonna suck this year, the suckier the better for their long-range prospects. And they're gonna have two first round picks next year, including one near the top (their own) in what is billed to be a great draft. Plus, they'll have at least $36 mill in spendable cap $$'s for what is expected to be a stellar free agent crop following the upcoming season.

I have no idea if Hinkie knows what he's doing. For that matter, I have no idea whether Noel and MCW figure into his long-term plans, or are viewed as fungible assets. But this team needed a total blow-up and makeover, and now they're getting it. And they've developed some assets and wiggle room along the way.

Keep in mind that it really doesn't matter whether NN is healthy by December or, for that matter, at all this year. The Sixers are gonna suck this year, the suckier the better for their long-range prospects. And they're gonna have two first round picks next year, including one near the top (their own) in what is billed to be a great draft. Plus, they'll have at least $36 mill in spendable cap $$'s for what is expected to be a stellar free agent crop following the upcoming season.

I have no idea if Hinkie knows what he's doing. For that matter, I have no idea whether Noel and MCW figure into his long-term plans, or are viewed as fungible assets. But this team needed a total blow-up and makeover, and now they're getting it. And they've developed some assets and wiggle room along the way.

That's a pretty good take.

Only issue is that I think the Pelicans might become sneaky good soon if they get another scorer to go with Jrue, Gordon, and Unibrow...however, still a gamble you probably take. Hope MCW is in the plans for the long haul.

Sixers flat out KILLED it. Jrue Holliday isn't a top 25 player in the NBA. Probably top 40. Holliday isn't top 5 at his position. Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, Rajon Rondo, Derrick Rose, Steph Curry, Deron Williams are all better than Holiday. Philly got a potential franchise player in Nerlens Noel and Michael Carter-Williams, plus a probably top 15 pick in a deep draft next year.

As good as Philly did Charlotte did that bad. Cody Zeller? Horrible pick for an energy guy who won't out-athletic NBA bigs.

Only issue is that I think the Pelicans might become sneaky good soon if they get another scorer to go with Jrue, Gordon, and Unibrow...however, still a gamble you probably take. Hope MCW is in the plans for the long haul.

They've got a pretty good cap situation too. Definitely a team that got a lot more interesting.

Totally agree the 76ers killed it. Bold and good move. NN and a 2014 pick that may be a lottery pick in a strong draft for Holiday. I think the Pelicans are crazy. When the Bobcats picked Cody Zeller at #4, I just broke out laughing. Typical Jordan Bobcats move. No wonder they pick in the top 4-5 every year and never get any better.

Chad Ford is right, Philly had by far the best draft of any team. In the NBA you either want to be the best team or the worst team. Philly got two guys with all-star potential (there are no more than 6 in this whole draft) and two guys who also have bust potential.

If both become all-star's, Philly can make a title run. If both become busts, Philly can get some great draft picks and start over. Either way they stay out of that 8th seed in the playoff territory which is franchise death - aka the territory guys like Jrue Holiday take you to.

And the extra good news is, even if Noel and MCW come good eventually they are going to be very bad next year so Philly is going to be in the Wiggins sweepstakes no matter what. If everything hits right, Philly will suck next year, get some lottery luck, draft Wiggins or Parker, then watch Noel and MWC come into their own giving them one of the leagues best, guard, wing, and big tandems. It might be a long shot, but its a shot, so Philly is already in better shape than they have been in a long time, and if things don't work out Philly has future lotto picks and cap room to look forward to.

Philly is going to continue to kill it they will trade Bynum in a sign and trade and will probably get another draft pick(s) and will get a TRADE exception.
If Philly is smart and I think their new GM is I think Nerlens Noel(like Blake Griffin) may sit out next year and rehab and put on weight. Let MCW play and lead a young team and bottom out and be in a good position to get Andruw Wiggins.

I have no idea if Hinkie knows what he's doing. For that matter, I have no idea whether Noel and MCW figure into his long-term plans, or are viewed as fungible assets. But this team needed a total blow-up and makeover, and now they're getting it. And they've developed some assets and wiggins room along the way.

fixed.

As good as Philly did Charlotte did that bad. Cody Zeller? Horrible pick for an energy guy who won't out-athletic NBA bigs.

It's amazing that one of the most talented basketball players of all time has no eye for actually evaluating talent.

It's amazing that one of the most talented basketball players of all time has no eye for actually evaluating talent.

I actually think Zeller was a sneaky good pick for them. I think he'll be one of the best players in this years draft.

I actually think Zeller was a sneaky good pick for them. I think he'll be one of the best players in this years draft.
Zeller is a good athlete but he will get his shot blocked a lot in the NBA when he tries to post up and won't be able to scream "And 1" I don't think he is an awful player I just thought Oladipo, Porter, Noel, McLemore, Bennett were all better prospects and the Bobcats passed on McLemore and Noel to take a kid who I don't think is better. Charlotte would have been better off trading with Oklahoma City who was looking for McLmore and gotten Zeller at 12.

Zeller is a big man who will play smaller than he is because of his short arms. He'd probably be better as a 4 in the NBA.

Zeller is a big man who will play smaller than he is because of his short arms. He'd probably be better as a 4 in the NBA.

That's what most teams think he will play in the NBA anyways. He's been advertising himself as a 4 that can step out and knock down the mid range or also run the pick and roll.

Sixers may have gotten the streal of the draft.
Kazemi is an absolute monster on the glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom