Mcw deserves a thread | Syracusefan.com

Mcw deserves a thread

He's played far better since getting Southerland back. Putting up about 12, 6, 5, and 3 with 2 turnovers a game while shooting 45% from the field and around 33% from 3 and over 87% from the charity stripe.

He's much more effective when he's a pass-first PG. The less he looks for his own shot the better team we are.

MCW had a great game and if he plays like that from here on out we will do some damage in the tourney. Also we can complain all we want about Southerland's shot selection but it says something that on a team so offensively challenged, James can have a horrible shooting night and still score 22 points.

It's funny how you can see different things. Last night it seemed at least a half dozen times, MCW drove to the rim, I thought he was putting it in, instead he dishes it off, and Rak or Triche or even CJ misses the bunny. He should have just laid it in. He had it! But I haven't watched the re-run of the game, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Good call - credit where credit is due. He's been much better of late. The NBA thing makes more sense when he's playing pass first basketball. Think what he will do with bigs that can catch and finish in the association.

Good call - credit where credit is due. He's been much better of late. The NBA thing makes more sense when he's playing pass first basketball. Think what he will do with bigs that can catch and finish in the association.

That's how I feel. Despite his inconsistent play this season, his court vision and passing ability are definitely among the best in the country, and he's just a specimen at 6'5". He could do so much damage at the next level when he starts playing with guys that can actually shoot and guys that can catch his passes under the basket and slam it home.

You just don't see that many guys that can make that bounce pass that he made last night to Fair after Fair had gotten a steal and then in that same game, throw in a tip-slam when one of your big men miss.

he's top 3 in the draft whenever he comes out

Better but still not living up to his billing IMHO

Agreed. And while I appreciate that he is a phenom at steals (great anticipation of passes) and his rebounding is above average (as one should expect from a 6'6" guard with a creepy long wingspan), I'm not seeing the "stellar defense" mentioned above. He gives up on just as many if not more three pointers than Triche gets bashed for. As soon as he gets the jump shot blocks that Dion got last year, then we can move him up to 'stellar.'

Agreed. And while I appreciate that he is a phenom at steals (great anticipation of passes) and his rebounding is above average (as one should expect from a 6'6" guard with a creepy long wingspan), I'm not seeing the "stellar defense" mentioned above. He gives up on just as many if not more three pointers than Triche gets bashed for. As soon as he gets the jump shot blocks that Dion got last year, then we can move him up to 'stellar.'

I honestly wouldn't call any of the 3 (MCW, Triche, Dion) stellar defensively. Triche was great last year but seems to have taken a step back this year; Waiters and MCW both cause a lot of turnovers but they were both lazy at times. When they want to defend, they do a great job though.

Again I think he should stay ne more year to round out his game and mature, and I believe it would bode well for a longer career in the league, but I know he won't take my advice.

:blah:

You just don't see that many guys that can make that bounce pass that he made last night to Fair after Fair had gotten a steal and then in that same game, throw in a tip-slam when one of your big men miss.

That was a spectacular pass. Phenomenal. And there were others that were nearly as impressive.

Also, I'm sure Boeheim's never had a guard with as many tip slams as Mike's had this year. (Actually, I bet we've had centers spend fours years here and not accumulate as many tip slams as Mike's had this year.)

He's got so much talent; his inconsistency has been very frustrating. It's too bad that we'll never get to see him play anywhere close to his ability level.

That was a spectacular pass. Phenomenal. And there were others that were nearly as impressive.

Also, I'm sure Boeheim's never had a guard with as many tip slams as Mike's had this year. (Actually, I bet we've had centers spend fours years here and not accumulate as many tip slams as Mike's had this year.)

He's got so much talent; his inconsistency has been very frustrating. It's too bad that we'll never get to see him play anywhere close to his ability level.

I think if we had a consistent 2 guard, either a starter or someone off the bench, MCW wouldn't try to put the team on his back like he has a few times. One of my predictions preseason was we would lose a few games when MCW tried to do it all (see the games he shot 17 times). I'm not blaming BT, but I think BT being inconsistent causes MCW to start forcing. For awhile I was in the boat thinking we will go as far as MCW leads us, but that has gone completely to Brandon. He is in a crazy funk and any shot we have at a deep run will be up to our senior PG (who has been there) to make the plays we all know he is capable of making. It's not even really about making great plays; it's about STOPPING the horrendous, head-scratching, mental errors/plays.

I think if we had a consistent 2 guard, either a starter or someone off the bench, MCW wouldn't try to put the team on his back like he has a few times. One of my predictions preseason was we would lose a few games when MCW tried to do it all (see the games he shot 17 times). I'm not blaming BT, but I think BT being inconsistent causes MCW to start forcing. For awhile I was in the boat thinking we will go as far as MCW leads us, but that has gone completely to Brandon. He is in a crazy funk and any shot we have at a deep run will be up to our senior PG (who has been there) to make the plays we all know he is capable of making. It's not even really about making great plays; it's about STOPPING the horrendous, head-scratching, mental errors/plays.

I think that's part of it, but I also think that Mike is a.) inexperienced and b.) kind of tightly wound.

Subjectively, his demeanor often leaves something to be desired. Objectively, there are just too many plays like the opening sequence (get careless dribble stripped, then pull up at the foul line and quit playing defense).

That's endlessly frustrating and it's not tied to the (equally real) problem of Mike trying to do too much because his backcourt-mates do too little.