MCW is the best college point guard I have seen since.... | Syracusefan.com

MCW is the best college point guard I have seen since....

I actually was thinking th same thing. He has amazing vision and feel for the game that is very rare. I knew he was a great player but I didn't realize he was this good. He has the talent to put this team on his back and win a national championship.

But... but... I heard on this board that Johnny Flynn was the best point guard of the ESPN era...

This kid truly is an amazing talent. He is orders of magnitude better than Johnny Flynn. It's funny how under the radar he is too. Remember Flynn was a national media darling by this time in his career (albeit with a much more active frosh season than MCW had). The only player I feel like I can compare him to is Melo just in the fact that he is so obviously better than everyone else on the other team. The nice thing is that MCW has a substantially better cast of characters surrounding him, on average, than Melo did and there are few if any senior laden powerhouses like Kansas around these days.

We do have to remind ourselves that he has not faced anything like the Big East season will throw at him yet. All indications are that he will handle it well, but these teams are going to be throwing the kitchen sink at young Michael.

The only player I feel like I can compare him to is Melo just in the fact that he is so obviously better than everyone else on the other team. The nice thing is that MCW has a substantially better cast of characters surrounding him, on average, than Melo did and there are few if any senior laden powerhouses like Kansas around these days.

Better cast - you think so? I'm not sure: Hakim was a very good soph, Gerry was an excellent frosh 2G, Edelin was a very good PG (when allowed to play), Pace was very good. I think the '03 surrounding cast may have been better. Am I missing something (or wearing rose colored glasses tinged with the glow of championship memories)?

Jason Kidd might have something to say about that, but yeah MCW is falling into that same category of player who will be a nightmare for opposing collegiate guards to deal with.

Interesting debate on whether he or Melo had a better supporting cast. If you go thru the first 2-3 guys, 03 was better, but if you go down the depth chart, its this team by a mile.

Before we get too ahead of ourselves, can we wait until we play a team that has comparable talent. He's been playing great and that's exactly what superior talent should do against inferior talent. He still sometimes tries to make passes that aren't there like he did a few times against Long Beach. He may be the best point guard we've had since the general, but he will have a bad game or two this year. The Magic comparisons may be a bit premature.

I mean I'm not ready to put MCW in the class of Magic Johnson yet. Magic is only the best PG ever.

But MCW's numbers are kind of staggering. Granted the schedule hasn'tbeen great but he leads the country in assist rate and is 10th in streal %. His TO rate is a little on the high side, but when you're making that many plays you have to expect some TO.
I was extremely high on him coming into the season, but he's surpassed everyone's expectations, right? The assists may drop as the season goes on but I also think more shots will fall.

Better cast - you think so? I'm not sure: Hakim was a very good soph, Gerry was an excellent frosh 2G, Edelin was a very good PG (when allowed to play), Pace was very good. I think the '03 surrounding cast may have been better. Am I missing something (or wearing rose colored glasses tinged with the glow of championship memories)?

I just think, again on average, that the talent level is higher on this team. I agree with you, Edelin was just plain awesome.

1. I feel like the combo of Rak, DC, and Kieta is far stronger than Forth and McNeil.
2. CJ Fair is roughly equivalent to Josh Pace.
3. Grant and Southerland combined are maybe an equivalent of Hak.
4. Cooney/Triche roughly equivalent to GMac (although maybe not in intangibles)

It's close, but this team has more depth and more potential in the post.

No offense dude, but Ty Lawson was playing college ball not too long ago and was the perfect modern college PG. He passed the ball well, could shoot decently and was a decent defender. MCW is a first team all-American, but he isn't Magic Johnson. Hell, Kendall Marshall at UNC had a game similar to MCW, and freaking Chris Paul and Deron Williams have played college ball REALLY well this past decade. Let's not put MCW in Magic territory till we get to a Final Four.

i don't think it's possible to be hyperbolic about MCW. i'm usually indifferent to december romps but this guy is so much fun to watch that i'm watching it one and a half times (the half coming from constantly rewinding)

Magic Johnson? Cool! So now if we have a center go down b4 the NCAA's again he can fill in! ;)

I just think, again on average, that the talent level is higher on this team. I agree with you, Edelin was just plain awesome.

1. I feel like the combo of Rak, DC, and Kieta is far stronger than Forth and McNeil.
2. CJ Fair is roughly equivalent to Josh Pace.
3. Grant and Southerland combined are maybe an equivalent of Hak.
4. Cooney/Triche roughly equivalent to GMac (although maybe not in intangibles)

It's close, but this team has more depth and more potential in the post.
I think your last line is most accurate. The potential is better. The '02-'03 team had the better supporting cast if the potential for this year isn't realized. Hak was a great interior scorer, better than anyone has shown so far this year. Forth did nothing spectacular but filled his roll well and McNeil was an elite shot blocker in the tournament. Until Cooney or Southerland hit three's with the game on the line inside of two minutes I'll take GMac. And the forgotten man seems to be Duany. He played good D all year at the top of the zone, and I think he shot 40% from three that year.

Reactions: MCC
You guys are remembering Pace as a junior and senior. He barely played during most of the 03 season. He started getting minutes down the stretch and had a good tournament, but was nonexistent for big parts of the season. CJ is much better than the sophomore version of Pace

This kid truly is an amazing talent. He is orders of magnitude better than Johnny Flynn. It's funny how under the radar he is too. Remember Flynn was a national media darling by this time in his career (albeit with a much more active frosh season than MCW had). The only player I feel like I can compare him to is Melo just in the fact that he is so obviously better than everyone else on the other team. The nice thing is that MCW has a substantially better cast of characters surrounding him, on average, than Melo did and there are few if any senior laden powerhouses like Kansas around these days.

We do have to remind ourselves that he has not faced anything like the Big East season will throw at him yet. All indications are that he will handle it well, but these teams are going to be throwing the kitchen sink at young Michael.
There will be a transition there too, just like there was this year with more minutes and responsibility. And there will be some TO's and growing pains. But he's progressing so fast it's unreal. All I can say is, enjoy watching this kid while he's here.

...Magic Johnson

BS gif.gif

Since Magic huh? I honestly think I like MCW as much as anyone but there have been several PG's since Magic that he isn't better then. He is nowhere near the PG Jason Kidd was, and umm...Isaiah Thomas...and since we're talking college PG's how about Sherm Douglas? Chris Paul, Allen Iverson, Chris Jackson, Mark Jackson, and Gary Payton come quickly to mind. You want good comparison for MCW how about Penny Hardaway? Personally I'm excited to watch MCW continue to develop this season which no doubt will end in many post seaosn honors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom