MCW's Shooting | Syracusefan.com

MCW's Shooting

Melancer46

Living Legend
I started keeping track of MCW's shooting percentages starting with the Notre Dame game because I thought that was the game where it seemed like it finally started to click for him. Anyways, in those last 19 games of the year, MCW shot 44% from the field, 33.3% from 3, and 66% from the FT line. Those percentages still aren't great by any means, but the FG% and 3PT% are at least passable IMO, so that when he gets to the NBA, he'll be able to keep defenses semi-honest so that they can't just leave him unguarded the entire time like some teams did to Rondo early in his career.

No idea what happened to his free throw shooting though. In the month of February, he became automatic from the line, hitting about 86% of his free throws, and then March rolled around and he shot 57% from the FT line.

mcw will developo into one of the great shooters in the league. remember i said that of melo too. same great release

I started keeping track of MCW's shooting percentages starting with the Notre Dame game because I thought that was the game where it seemed like it finally started to click for him. Anyways, in those last 19 games of the year, MCW shot 44% from the field, 33.3% from 3, and 66% from the FT line. Those percentages still aren't great by any means, but the FG% and 3PT% are at least passable IMO, so that when he gets to the NBA, he'll be able to keep defenses semi-honest so that they can't just leave him unguarded the entire time like some teams did to Rondo early in his career.

No idea what happened to his free throw shooting though. In the month of February, he became automatic from the line, hitting about 86% of his free throws, and then March rolled around and he shot 57% from the FT line.

the nd game is when it clicked for him?

did you miss the 1st 20 games when he was a consensus all american and possible national POY candidate?

did you miss the 10 game swoon after ND?

the nd game is when it clicked for him?

did you miss the 1st 20 games when he was a consensus all american and possible national POY candidate?

did you miss the 10 game swoon after ND?

I think that game is where he started to figure out that he needed to focus on managing the game rather than just playing the game if that makes sense

My guess - his minutes increased, so his FT shooting #s declined.

mcw will developo into one of the great shooters in the league. remember i said that of melo too. same great release

Great comparison since melo was a good shooter when he came to cuse...

Eh, he played about 1.5 more minutes per game in March than he did in February.
Welp. That blew that up.

Next idea - it seemed to me like late in the season more FT attempts happen after time outs, and guys tend to miss those. That seems to me to be a disadvantage for the shooter, since they get iced by being taken out of the flow of the game. How many free throws did MCW miss after a time out beyond the normal number of expected miss free throws by %age?

And Jonny is the "Greatest player in the history of ESPN.":crazy::blah:

Welp. That blew that up.

Next idea - it seemed to me like late in the season more FT attempts happen after time outs, and guys tend to miss those. That seems to me to be a disadvantage for the shooter, since they get iced by being taken out of the flow of the game. How many free throws did MCW miss after a time out beyond the normal number of expected miss free throws by %age?
If you look at basketball in general ft% goes down as the season goes on. It's more about season long fatigue and nagging injuries than game minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Melo was a good shooter here and he still isn't considered one of the great shooters in the league. He's one of the greatest scorers and he may be the most versatile, but he's not considered a great shooter.

Welp. That blew that up.

For whatever reason, he had four particularly awful high-volume games from the line (7-15, 8-14, 2-9, 4-9). Take those games out and he was a .766 free throw shooter. I would expect him to easily be a 75%+ free throw shooter in the NBA.

As for his shooting it seemed that from the BET through the NCAA tourney his shooting seemed the best it had been all year. Don't know if the numbers support it or not just seemed that way.

As for his shooting it seemed that from the BET through the NCAA tourney his shooting seemed the best it had been all year. Don't know if the numbers support it or not just seemed that way.

He shot 40-41% from the field, which isn't very good, but 37.5% from 3 in the two tournaments.

He shot 40-41% from the field, which isn't very good, but 37.5% from 3 in the two tournaments.

Cool thanks for looking that up - he definitely showed he can hit the three in the tourney so the potential is there.

That's one of your best. nobody is mistaking mcw's form for Ray Allen's anytime soon.

For comparison's sake, in the conference and NCAA tournaments:

MCW shot 42% from 2 and 37.5% from 3.

Trey Burke shot 40% from 2 and 34% from 3.

For comparison's sake, in the conference and NCAA tournaments:

MCW shot 42% from 2 and 37.5% from 3.

Trey Burke shot 40% from 2 and 34% from 3.

i think it would be helpful to post the actual number of shots. im sure trey burke took many more threes but it would help to comprehend the meaning of the %s by showing just how many. id be more impressed w 34% if burke shot 68 out of 200, then i would be with 37.5% if mcw shot 3 out of 8. 8 is just such a small sample size. it doesn't mean much unless you are tyler ennis in the jordan game. then it means a lot.

i think it would be helpful to post the actual number of shots. im sure trey burke took many more threes but it would help to comprehend the meaning of the %s by showing just how many. id be more impressed w 34% if burke shot 68 out of 200, then i would be with 37.5% if mcw shot 3 out of 8. 8 is just such a small sample size. it doesn't mean much unless you are tyler ennis in the jordan game. then it means a lot.

I think it was 44 attempts for Burke from 3 compared to 16 from MCW. Not looking it up right now but I'm pretty sure on those numbers.

Melo was a good shooter here and he still isn't considered one of the great shooters in the league. He's one of the greatest scorers and he may be the most versatile, but he's not considered a great shooter.

I don't know about that, of course your right about 'Melo being one of the greatest scorers, but I have recently seen some shots out of 'Melo that are just breath taking after they swish threw.

And also, when you say shooter, do you mean JUST 3 pt shots, or also 20, and 15 footers. Because 'Melo is definetly one of the best who can hit a turn around 15, 20 footer.

I don't know about that, of course your right about 'Melo being one of the greatest scorers, but I have recently seen some shots out of 'Melo that are just breath taking after they swish threw.

And also, when you say shooter, do you mean JUST 3 pt shots, or also 20, and 15 footers. Because 'Melo is definetly one of the best who can hit a turn around 15, 20 footer.

i agree. i think melo is a great shooter and i think most consider him one. he scores most his points off jump shots, at least when i watch him.

I suppose it depends on how you define it. When a discussion comes up about great NBA shooters most people tend to bring up three point shooters (or guys that shot it from deep prior to the three point line). You usually hear names like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen, guys that were known to score a higher percantage of their points from threes than most. Guys like Melo or Jordan are/were great scorers and I would say good shooters but not great shooters. I don't mean this to sound like an insult, Jordan is my all time favorite player. Melo gets a lot of points by going to the basket and from the free throw line, which is something other guys don't do nearly as well. I just don't think a career 33% from 3 and 45% from the field equal a great shooter.

And Jonny is the "Greatest player in the history of ESPN.":crazy::blah:

Before seeing him play: "5'10" Guards like Flynn are a dime a dozen"

After being named BE Rookie of the Year: "Remeber I told you Flynn would be the greatest player in history of ESPN."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom