Meadowlark Lemon has left the building | Syracusefan.com

Meadowlark Lemon has left the building

Dude. :( An original is gone. RIP Mr. Lemon and family.

One of the great sports entertainers ever.
RIP Meadowlark

One of the great names as well...Meadowlark can't possibly be his given name?

Very sad news. Godspeed, Meadowlark!!

When I was a young kid, my parents took me to see the Harlem Globetrotters at the Westchester County Center (a small, local venue).
I LOVED it. I screamed and laughed hysterically the whole time.

Birth name was Meadow Lemon lll

Wiki is your friend. :) You had me wondering as well

Their victory over the Minneapolis Lakers in 1948 was instrumental in integrating the National Basketball Association, and a decade later their owner, Abe Saperstein, signed a 7-footer out of the University of Kansas to a one-year contract before he was eligible for the N.B.A.: Wilt Chamberlain.

“Meadowlark was the most sensational, awesome, incredible basketball player I’ve ever seen,” Chamberlain said in a television interview not long before he died in 1999. “People would say it would be Dr. J or even Jordan. For me, it would be Meadowlark Lemon.”

Through it all, Lemon became “an American institution like the Washington Monument or the Statue of Liberty” whose “uniform will one day hang in the Smithsonian right next to Lindbergh’s airplane,” as the Los Angeles Times columnist Jim Murray once described him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/29/s...d-pranks-with-virtuosity-dies-at-83.html?_r=0

Meadowlark ...and Sweetwater Clifton. Two memorable names.

Back in the day----the Globetrotters used to play the college all-stars at the end of the college season. Rarely did the all-stars even come close to them.
I saw one of the games at the Palestra when Tom Heinsohn was playing for the all-stars. Between Meadowlark and Marques Haynes, he was ready to go crazy by the end of the game.

The most famous Globetrotter of them all. Who among us has never seen the Globetrotters? RIP and thanks for the memories.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...etrotters-crown-prince-dies-article-1.2478452
There was a movie back in the 1950s about the Globetrotters and that was the first I recall hearing about the Globetrotters. Pretty sure it was pre Meadowlark Lemon. In those days it was Goose Tatum and Marcus Hynes (sp?). Sparked my interest and enjoyed several GT performances, especially Meadowlark Lemon. RIP to a great showman.

There was a movie back in the 1950s about the Globetrotters and that was the first I recall hearing about the Globetrotters. Pretty sure it was pre Meadowlark Lemon. In those days it was Goose Tatum and Marcus Hynes (sp?). Sparked my interest and enjoyed several GT performances, especially Meadowlark Lemon. RIP to a great showman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go,_Man,_Go!