Melo rookie year | Syracusefan.com

Melo rookie year

I don't think the casual 'Cuse fan realizes just how good 'Melo was.

If he had been drafted in 02 or 04, his whole narrative changes from being compared to Bron.

Also, if Detroit just takes him at 2 in the 03 draft, his career is much different.

Finally, I don't think people realize how close that 2009 Nugs team was to beating the Lakers in the WCF. One chip and whole diff ball game.

I remember SU losing to Memphis or was it UMass in Melos first game in Orange and thinking, this guy is a bit of a chucker but has some serious moves. He got himself some open shots and as you all have said, was quite the pleasure to watch. Detroit screwed up on that draft.

I remember SU losing to Memphis or was it UMass in Melos first game in Orange and thinking, this guy is a bit of a chucker but has some serious moves. He got himself some open shots and as you all have said, was quite the pleasure to watch. Detroit screwed up on that draft.

MSG against Memphis, he had a sick fakeout three point make. He and GMac were sick from day one.

Last edited:
MSG against Memphios, he had a sick fakeout three point make. He and GMac were sick from day one.
Yeah, I was at that game. I think Melo had close to 20 points in the first half alone

This was before you researched everything on the Internet. I knew next to nothing about G-mac (besides he was on the roster) and was pleasantly surprised.

MSG against Memphis, he had a sick fakeout three point make. He and GMac were sick from day one.
I keep writing about that. I believe that was his first shot in his first SU game. I literally said, “Oh, s***“ to no one else in the room.

Yeah, I was at that game. I think Melo had close to 20 points in the first half alone

This was before you researched everything on the Internet. I knew next to nothing about G-mac (besides he was on the roster) and was pleasantly surprised.
Before he stepped foot on campus, there was a grainy video going around of G-Mac playing in HS. He made a drive to the basket and the move was just sick.

Oddly enough, he never tried it as SU. And that was just fine.

syracuse was ranked 37th in the AP poll on december 9th 2002. Cuse first enters the top 25 poll january 13th 2003 that season and would eventually climb as high as 11th before winning it all.

If he had been drafted in 02 or 04, his whole narrative changes from being compared to Bron.

Also, if Detroit just takes him at 2 in the 03 draft, his career is much different.

Finally, I don't think people realize how close that 2009 Nugs team was to beating the Lakers in the WCF. One chip and whole diff ball game.
As a Lakers fan I remember feeling lucky the Nugs royally screwed up in the end of 2 of those games.

Saw rookie year Melo when they made their trip to Boston on St. Patrick's day 2004.

Out of the 1st 5 picks, Lebron, Carmelo, D-Wade and Chris Bosh came off the board. Detroit had #2 and came away with Darko Milicik. Larry Brown should’ve been put out to pasture that day.

Out of the 1st 5 picks, Lebron, Carmelo, D-Wade and Chris Bosh came off the board. Detroit had #2 and came away with Darko Milicik. Larry Brown should’ve been put out to pasture that day.
It was Dumars’ call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom