Melo should have went to Chicago | Syracusefan.com

Melo should have went to Chicago

Gotta love reactions like this, game 1 of 82 game season.

Smile and Laugh !!!

I agree he should have signed with Chicago over staying in NY. A couple of things to mention though. Chicago is a good defensive team and NY will get better in the triangle as they go. They looked about as bad as an NBA team possibly can on offense because no one seems to know what they are supposed to be doing and by the time they tried to do something the clock was under 8 seconds so that's all Chicago really had to defend for most times. They are going to be a bad team but I hope they can become more competitive.

I think New York should have traded Melo last year. By the time Phil can build a decent team around him, Melo will have one or two good years left. Their respective time lines just don't line up.

He took the money which was his decision but it will be very difficult for Melo to win a title in NY, he most likely knows the deck is stacked but then again, Melo is what 30? He has 3-4 years before he starts to go downhill a bit. Maybe, maybe in 3 years he might have a shot but he knows it's a total rebuild and will take time. Nobody of sane mind expects them to do much next 2 years, D Fish needs time as well. Take the money, very few guys would do otherwise

Gotta love reactions like this, game 1 of 82 game season.

Smile and Laugh !!!
I watched the first few minutes of the game. The Knicks were up 6-2 so I assumed they would win the NBA championship this season and switched over to the World Series. Then I forgot to check back on the game. I guess something must have gone horribly wrong, and now Carmelo's days as an impact player appear to be over. Sure hope Phil is on the phone this morning trying to move that awful contract.

Anybody disagree?

It's easy for you to tell other people to take $20 - 30 million less. Could you do the same? Does this mean that when your boss comes to you to give you a raise, you turn it down?

I think it is safe to say that Mr. Anthony has a different viewpoint that you do. Titles are nice, and records are lots of fun, but they don't pay the bills. He has maybe 5-7 more years to make $. After that, his career is done, and his earning potential drops considerably. I certainly don't feel sorry for him, but I don't think any less of him for wanting to take care of his family.

It's easy for you to tell other people to take $20 - 30 million less. Could you do the same? Does this mean that when your boss comes to you to give you a raise, you turn it down?

I think it is safe to say that Mr. Anthony has a different viewpoint that you do. Titles are nice, and records are lots of fun, but they don't pay the bills. He has maybe 5-7 more years to make $. After that, his career is done, and his earning potential drops considerably. I certainly don't feel sorry for him, but I don't think any less of him for wanting to take care of his family.

I agree it's hard to turn down money, and it was a lot of money, unless they could have worked out a sign and trade or something, I think it was closer to $50 million, maybe 60. (I think the best the Bulls could do was about $65 million or so) But let's be real, his family has long since been taken care of. He's not worried about paying any bills.

Melo tried to use the Lakers as leverage to get the Knicks to agree to a sign and trade. The Knicks smartly saw thru that and realized Chicago with a cheapskate owner even though they are in the #3 media market and a true hoops hotbed decided to remain cheap and not free up as much cap space and possible for Melo. Melo decided to take the money from the Knicks nobody in the right mind is leaving 50 million dollars off the table. Melo will end his NBA career with the 2nd or 3rd most player salary revenue by a player in NBA history.

The Bulls were by far the best chance he had to win a ring, but oh well he will get paid and be Bernard King 2.0 and Knicks will be entertained by his scoring binges and games where he is on fire. Buls did alright without Melo as Pau Gasol looks like a guy they can get some points in crunch time and will have Noah or Gibson to help him defensively.

What are you talking about? He could have taken a 2 year deal and renegotiated a higher contract like lebron is doing in light of the new multi-billion tv deal the nba got and the corresponding valuations on nba franchises (see clippers).

He would have been a thousand times better off with one of the top two eastern championship contenders, a great coach, and a deal that he could restructure his contract after 2 years.

Phil Jackson won a nice 60 million payday and left melo as his scapegoat unless they can make major moves like getting Marc gasol and company.

That game was a dumpster fire for the Knicks but im not going to freak out like Chicago doesnt still have an injury prone Rose. Im pretty sure every Bull had a career shooting night as well.

As for the Triangle...that ish was fuglyyyyyy.

...and now Chad Ford reports that the Knicks may be interested in trading for Kobe Bryant haha. Not gonna lie, i'd be intrigued.

What are you talking about? He could have taken a 2 year deal and renegotiated a higher contract like lebron is doing in light of the new multi-billion tv deal the nba got and the corresponding valuations on nba franchises (see clippers).

He would have been a thousand times better off with one of the top two eastern championship contenders, a great coach, and a deal that he could restructure his contract after 2 years.

Phil Jackson won a nice 60 million payday and left melo as his scapegoat unless they can make major moves like getting Marc gasol and company.

Assuming the Knicks (or, I guess someone else) would have offered him a 2 year deal. They may have, they may not have. Lebron is a little different because he can pretty much write his own ticket for any team in the league.

And no interest in Kobe at that contract. I really doubt the Lakers want to move him anyway.

Last edited:
Anybody disagree?

He has millions and millions of reasons to disagree.

Also, he's a Jordan Brand guy and I don't think the relationship between MJ and the Jerrys is one that would help persuade Melo to Chicago.

Chicago is vastly better overall than the Knicks. With Melo, they would have been the favorites to win it all if Rose stays healthy. But I don't blame Melo one bit for staying in a place he and his family love, getting paid $50 million more than Chicago could have paid and putting his faith in Phil Jackson to build a contender in New York. It's likely no player in the NBA would have given up $50 million yet Melo is constantly criticized. And if he signed for 2 years - what if he had a serious injury - he'd potentially lose tens of millions of dollars.

Another factor in not going to the Bulls was the health of Rose. We won't know until the end of the season if Rose can withstand the rigors of the NBA and stay healthy and be back to the player he once was.

Simply put, anyone who says Melo chose money over winning is making a far too simplistic argument. There was far more that went into the decision than just the money aspect, albeit that was obviously a major part.

Unfortunately, because of so many bad decisions over the years made by Dolan, it's going to be very difficult for Phil to build a championship level team during Melo's prime. So sadly, I believe that Melo will never get his just do from too many out there for being a terrific player and one who could have been part of a championship team. But you don't win a championship without having 3 all star calibur players on your team. And Melo's never had that and is unlikely to the remainder of his career.

If their was no max contract I think that woud have impacted Melo as well. The max contract gave the Knicks the $$$ advantage in FA. Lebron took the 2 year deal because he is active in the union is going to push in the next CBA get rid of the max contract salary but likely stay with the max years a contract can be. Lebron/Durant are severely underpaid thanks to max deals. Without max deals players won't be able to do with Miami Big 3 thing again as superstars like Lebron only agreed to do that because they were saving the team 2 million a year because of the max contract.
The difference between 15 and 17 million a year isn't a lot but the difference in 15 and 27 million a year is a lot.

If their was no max contract I think that woud have impacted Melo as well. The max contract gave the Knicks the $$$ advantage in FA. Lebron took the 2 year deal because he is active in the union is going to push in the next CBA get rid of the max contract salary but likely stay with the max years a contract can be. Lebron/Durant are severely underpaid thanks to max deals. Without max deals players won't be able to do with Miami Big 3 thing again as superstars like Lebron only agreed to do that because they were saving the team 2 million a year because of the max contract.
The difference between 15 and 17 million a year isn't a lot but the difference in 15 and 27 million a year is a lot.

The max salary t hing is probably part of it, but the main reason Lebron took the 2 year deal was because he's banking on the cap going up a lot int he 2016 season, with or without the max contract. Really, if the league wants to keep stars from teaming up, gettign rid of the max contract is a good way to do it.

Take money out of the equation and u think Melo has it bad - think of Kobe - but yeah, Melo is basically fvked unless he gets out - at least his legacy in the NBA - 3 or 4 more years of this and he will have no legacy

Look at the bright side ... the Knicks sucked so bad last night that Carmelo was able to sit out much of the game and rest up for tonight's game in Cleveland.

Apples and oranges. If I was set for life, and could make X while being miserable and make .8X and have an awesome time, I take a long look at both options. Also, talking about earning potential post career - if he wins a title or two, he becomes more marketable.

Assuming the Knicks (or, I guess someone else) would have offered him a 2 year deal. They may have, they may not have. Lebron is a little different because he can pretty much write his own ticket for any team in the league.

And no interest in Kobe at that contract. I really doubt the Lakers want to move him anyway.
Kobe is the only reason a good share of the ticket holders show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom