Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Benny the 1st to tweet about it. Story at 5

So, what does that mean? Retractable roof only? The EFT or whatever it's called roof is considered soft, right?

So, what does that mean? Retractable roof only? The EFT or whatever it's called roof is considered soft, right?

I think ETFE would be considered hard surface

Last edited:
Has to mean we are either getting a stadium deal with help from the State and Local Government or the Dome is going to get a face lift.
I don't think we will get the retractable roof just because of the added cost. EFTE idea makes the most sense. I am most interested in how this project is going to be paid for.

University already said a retractable roof is off the table.

Macky44 said:
Was hoping for a Inner Harbor area stadium. Players could ride the train from campus to Destiny and it could be a cool gameday experience. The Express baby.

This is a renovation of the Dome, like we've talked about here in other threads for 2 years. But long term, I'm still on the train that says long term, the "Dome" goes to South Campus and its abundance of land and highway access. Maybe 10 years now down the road? I would not be surprised if the exterior changes made to the Dome aren't then salvageable to transition to an academic building. Future Medical School? Valuable academic land the Dome resides on.

Nah...just stating what the university said. They said the focus is on a fixed roof.
Sarcasm. Sorry, thought I used the right font. I am all for renovation of the Dome with a fixed roof.

Has to mean we are either getting a stadium deal with help from the State and Local Government or the Dome is going to get a face lift.
I don't think we will get the retractable roof just because of the added cost. EFTE idea makes the most sense. I am most interested in how this project is going to be paid for.
If the State is providing significant funding - the optics of a retractable roof makes no sense politically. Anything else one could sell politically - but not a retractable roof. It would be low hanging fruit to attack for those who oppose a project.

This is a renovation of the Dome, like we've talked about here in other threads for 2 years. But long term, I'm still on the train that says long term, the "Dome" goes to South Campus and its abundance of land and highway access. Maybe 10 years now down the road? I would not be surprised if the exterior changes made to the Dome aren't then salvageable to transition to an academic building. Future Medical School? Valuable academic land the Dome resides on.

I'd guess 25 years or more. Wouldn't make sense to invest $100+ million in a project that you intend to walk away from in a decade.

There is a lot to both of these ideas. There is enormous value to that land as academic space, and I can envision integrating academic space into a Dome renovation. That said, I don't see a stand alone med school as much as a S&T / Engineering research campus. Think Cornell Tech Campus in NYC. That too can be on South, but either works for me. They have already built an engineering research building up on Skytop this summer, next to the new running track and turf field up there. I think that new field clears the way for an eventual expansion of Manley to create a connection to the IPF where Coyne is now. As for the idea of a Med School, I see a greater collaboration with Upstate Medical Center. In NYC for example both the Weil Cornell Medical College and the Columbia University Medical College share facilities with NY Presbyterian Hospital. All three entities co-exist with cooperation between the three (sometimes).

it is going to drive me nuts trying to figure out which floor alex dunbar RA'd (can't remember if it was my floor or 2 floors up)

I think it'd be pretty hard to convert an ex-stadium into an academic building (talking in the future). Well, not so much hard, but not worth the extra work pre-planning. You rarely see buildings repurposed like that (Hearst Tower?). Easier, and cheaper, to just start over. If they repurposed the original dome, there'd be no windows. If you repurposed the (possible) new "glass" roof, you have a massive vault underneath.

If it's a dome reno, makes me think the dome will be staying put for a long, long time.

If the State is providing significant funding - the optics of a retractable roof makes no sense politically. Anything else one could sell politically - but not a retractable roof. It would be low hanging fruit to attack for those who oppose a project.
I agree which is why I understand not installing a retractable roof. I have heard that would cost 100 million dollars just for the retractable roof. Unless SU wanted to fully assume that cost it is doubtful we will pursue it.

Fine Mess Tailgate surcharge.;)

Welp, so much for two weeks until an announcement.

It could be replaced with more teflon. But it would still have to be replaced every 18-20 years or so.

Well Dunbar is tweeting that SR VP for Public Affairs says no decision has been made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom