Michigan continues to be awful | Syracusefan.com

Michigan continues to be awful

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Down 30 to Arizona right now and are totally unable to do anything on either end of the court. Their offense consists of taking long jumpers and nothing else.

Losing to that team already looks terrible. I think that just shows how bad we currently are, too.

Hope tomorrow is the start of a good run, we need it.

Our zone really destroyed their offense. Unfortunately, only for the games following the one in which we played them.

Arizona is legit. Would love to see them vs Kentucky. I think they are number 1, personally.

That being said, Michigan, while young, is really just not a good team. That was a bad loss against them.

Down 30 to Arizona right now and are totally unable to do anything on either end of the court. Their offense consists of taking long jumpers and nothing else.

Losing to that team already looks terrible. I think that just shows how bad we currently are, too.

Michigan tried every which way to hand us the game in the last couple minutes...we just wouldn't take it. So how bad are we?

Michigan had the 30th rated recruiting class this past year. Lack of elite talent means teams like Zona will run a team like Michigan out of the gym. Beilein is a good coach but until he consistently recruits high 4 star and a few 5 star recruits he will have down years like this year.

I think our RPI value is the least of our worries.

Michigan was a tough matchup for SU, they shoot J's and their coach is very familiar with the SU zone as was St. Johns and Cal. SU needs to play schools that haven't seen it as often OOC, this year in particular. Louisiana Tech hasn't seen it, my money is on the Orange today.

L@@K

It's too early for assessing this team's value.

EVERYTHING is on potential right now because we lost so many veteran contributors & NBA players.

Will this squad win enough games this season to make the Tourney? Maybe.

But consider the incredible strides that would make this possible. It's like telling your 6 month old child to get up & walk.

Most of these kids are fresh outta the mackerel raw, playing against experienced opponents who have good talent.

Back in the day, I played against young guys with talent superior to mine, but I beat them. It was no miracle, but simply my experiential advantage over them which allowed me to prevail...

Michigan was a tough matchup for SU, they shoot J's and their coach is very familiar with the SU zone as was St. Johns and Cal. SU needs to play schools that haven't seen it as often OOC, this year in particular. Louisiana Tech hasn't seen it, my money is on the Orange today.

The problem is not the D, Bob.

I know that 007 but the more familiar the opposition is with the D the less turnovers and less easy points.

It's funny--during the Michigan game [who were ranked at the time], I was talking to my father and observed that we were every bit as good as they were. It actually boueyed my confidence that we could go on the road and go toe-to-toe with a ranked team as a sign that the team was talking steps forward.

Little did I know at the time that Michigan wasn't very good. : (

The "overall" problem is not the D. The situational problem, when you've battled back/forth for 38 mins playing the same defense, the other team can get into a comfort level, and then with 2 minutes to go they can get/create a good shot.

My argument is not against zone, it's against using zone exclusively. This board often complains about some unknown player torching us for a career-high 26 with 6-7 threes...there's obviously a reason for that.

The point of a zone is to give up shots but give up less-good shots over the course of a game, leading to low % for the opponent over time. But over the course of the game, the opposing team can find patterns and weaknesses, and above all, they can overload the zone and get an open 3-pointer really whenever they want. Anytime you watch our wing player (CMAC, Roberson, Mike G) over on the wing guarding nobody you know that there's an overload going on (they have 5 vs. your 4).

In theory, for the duration of the game, your opponent probably won't have 3 three point shooters out there...but in a situation like that, they can sub in a bunch of shooters and create a situation like that Michigan game, where we ended up giving Albrecht a wide-open three I think a couple times in the last two mins.

The counter-argument to this is that our zone is really a match-up and we change styles etc, but to be honest I've really only seen that play out a couple years in the last 5-10...some teams just "got it". (Or, we had two guards with really long reach).

We've had some really good teams who've been fun to watch, I just think it's fair to re-assess every once in a while if a change of strategy is called for...in this case I think this team might respond to a man situation, where they don't have to think as much, who knows?

I'd also love to see some 3/4 court pressure...I've never understood why we don't do that, to be honest. Despite the above, the truth is we do play a tough zone, and it usually takes 25-30 seconds for the opponent to get an open shot...why not make them take 10-15 seconds to get the ball into their pattern so they have less time to work the zone? I'm NOT talking about the suicide/mission all-or-nothing 1-2-1-1 full court press we employ when we're down 10.

Just some thoughts. Sometimes switching it up on D can jumpstart the O too

I don't think the committee would view an early season loss on the road to a bad Michigan team as a bad loss, usually P5 road games get the benefit of the doubt if i'm remembering correctly.

Michigan had the 30th rated recruiting class this past year. Lack of elite talent means teams like Zona will run a team like Michigan out of the gym. Beilein is a good coach but until he consistently recruits high 4 star and a few 5 star recruits he will have down years like this year.
They lost the B10 POY (Stauskas), GR III, McGary and Horford from last year's squad. It's actually a pretty similar situation to ours - bitten by early entrees and none of which are killing it at the next level.

They lost the B10 POY (Stauskas), GR III, McGary and Horford from last year's squad. It's actually a pretty similar situation to ours - bitten by early entrees and none of which are killing it at the next level.

Then throw in the Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. early entries from two years ago. They have lost a TON.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom