Mick Cronin: "The Syracuse 2-3 is quite possibly the most effective weapon in team sports." | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin: "The Syracuse 2-3 is quite possibly the most effective weapon in team sports."

I think the author may have written the description above, not that it matters, it is a great sentence!

I love this quote from Cronin: If you try to exploit that gap by passing to it, “they trap you with two monsters..."

I think the author may have written the description above, not that it matters, it is a great sentence!

I love this quote from Cronin: If you try to exploit that gap by passing to it, “they trap you with two monsters..."

I gave credit to Cronin on this although it was difficult to discern from the article who stated it. Nonetheless, you're right, a great sentence.

Another quote:

“If you get up on them and the game is in the last five minutes, they don’t know what to do. They’ve got to come after you,’’ said Cronin. “That’s not their comfort zone.’’ Any zone slows down the game. When you’re behind, you want more possessions, not fewer.

Cronin said Michigan has a good chance Saturday. Glenn Robinson III, Nik Stauskas and Tim Hardaway Jr. all are 6-6. Cronin believes Robinson has the all-around game needed to fill the crucial high post spot. Underneath, 6-10 Mitch McGary gets better every game. We haven’t even mentioned Michigan’s hottest player, point guard Trey Burke.

Basically, the zone is a front-running defense. You can come from behind over a period of time but you aren't going to turn a game around like Louisville did against us in new York. When we go into the press, the game is usually over for us. That's why our 5-10 minute offensive funks are so scary: if we fall significantly behind, we aren't likely to make it up in the zone and we aren't good at anything else.

A different point: We have been blocking an amazing number of jump shots. I think it serves to intimidate the other team: they will miss later shots they do get off because the blocks get into their mind. So look for some blocked jump shots by SU out of that zone, especially early on, to get things going our way.

Another quote:

“If you get up on them and the game is in the last five minutes, they don’t know what to do. They’ve got to come after you,’’ said Cronin. “That’s not their comfort zone.’’ Any zone slows down the game. When you’re behind, you want more possessions, not fewer.

Cronin said Michigan has a good chance Saturday. Glenn Robinson III, Nik Stauskas and Tim Hardaway Jr. all are 6-6. Cronin believes Robinson has the all-around game needed to fill the crucial high post spot. Underneath, 6-10 Mitch McGary gets better every game. We haven’t even mentioned Michigan’s hottest player, point guard Trey Burke.

Basically, the zone is a front-running defense. You can come from behind over a period of time but you aren't going to turn a game around like Louisville did against us in new York. When we go into the press, the game is usually over for us. That's why our 5-10 minute offensive funks are so scary: if we fall significantly behind, we aren't likely to make it up in the zone and we aren't good at anything else.

Good points, as usual. Clearly our offense will decide this game. Our defense playing well is a given.

If they start raining long 3's early, how long will that last. Outside of that Temple kid I can't remember a game where the other team continued such sharp shooting. I hope they fall in love with it early.

This game will be decided by our offense and how well we shoot the ball. If we have a poor shooting game, Michigan will get a lot of opportunities in transition and will score more. If we shoot and score well, Michigan will have to play often against a set zone and will score less. They will probably score more than anyone we have played because they have Burke to run the offense and their shooters have more size than IU. But they should have problems guarding CJ and James. If those guys shoot it well, and MCW can continue to take his smaller defender to the rim (and finish) we can win. The media is too focused only on UM beating the set zone.

A different point: We have been blocking an amazing number of jump shots. I think it serves to intimidate the other team: they will miss later shots they do get off because the blocks get into their mind. So look for some blocked jump shots by SU out of that zone, especially early on, to get things going our way.

I think another part of it is they have to change trajectory of shot. They have to put more arc under it. That disrupts shooting % as well.

As an aside, Cronin had some very complimentary things to say about JB in honor of his 900th win.