Might cut the cord | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

I got a 50 mile antennae and it works great. I went with sling because it had Redzone for football season. I may change to YouTube because I don’t get MSG, Yes or SNY.

redzone was definitely a nice feature.

I don’t get MSG on YouTubeTV either. Probably the one downside for me. I’ve got Yes and SNY though.

I snipped and went from $250/mo Verizon bill to $39.99 for Verizon 100Mbps Internet and $49.99 YouTube service.

Caveats. You will need smart TVs (Or device that allows you to stream to the TV eg. Appletv, roku etc) for it to work, but you should be able to buy a decent smart tv with the money you are no longer sending to Verizon or Spectrum to rent their crappy boxes. If you can’t swing the smart tv, I think you can use an appletv device to connect your dumb tv to your router and the Internet. I did that for quite awhile before upgrading my TV.

YouTube TV service has a website that allows you to put in your zip code and see what your channel lineup would be. I was pleasantly surprised that it included all 4 primary ESPNs, ACCn, SECn, and BTNn and NBCSportsNet which carries Sixers and Flyers for me.

You tube tv offers an unlimited cloud based DVR so you’ll miss your crappy set top box even less. And when you set up a series in the DVR it adds this seasons episodes without having to actually “record” them like you would with a traditional DVR.

If you are a Verizon customer you will need to rent their router unless you want to invest in your own so assume another $12-15/mo on top of the $39.99

I can’t believe I didn’t do this along time ago.

And if your holding stock in VZ or any of the cable providers it may be time to sell.

Last edited:
I snipped and went from $250/mo Verizon bill to $39.99 for Verizon 100Mbps Internet and $49.99 YouTube service.

Caveats. You will need smart TVs for it to work, but you should be able to buy a decent smart tv with the money you are no longer sending to Verizon or Spectrum to rent their crappy boxes. If you can’t swing the smart tv, I think you can use an appletv device to connect your dumb tv to your router and the Internet. I did that for quite awhile before upgrading my TV.

YouTube TV service has a website that allows you to put in your zip code and see your channel lineup.

You tube tv offers an unlimited cloud based DVR so you’ll miss your crappy set top box even less.

If you are a Verizon customer you will need to rent their router unless you want to invest in your own so assume another $12-15/mo on top of the $39.99

I can’t believe I didn’t do this along time ago.

You don’t have to have a smart TV though. I’ve got one smart tv, but my other older tv and a roku work just fine too.

Heck, slingtv was giving away free Rokus if you signed up and committed to 3 months, not too long ago. Not sure if they’re still doing that.

You don’t have to have a smart TV though. I’ve got one smart tv, but my other older tv and a roku work just fine too.

Heck, slingtv was giving away free Rokus if you signed up and committed to 3 months, not too long ago. Not sure if they’re still doing that.

Yeah I guess those are marginally intelligent TVs where you use another device to stream to the “dumb” TV.

I know there are a bunch of ways to accomplish it. I used an appletv device to do it for awhile. I know others use roku.

I will also recommend YouTube TV. All the local channels, plus sports out the butt and just about all the cable channels that'd interest most folks. It's crisp, reliable, and the only gripe I had was it took me a bit to get used to the recording feature. I had Sling for about a year prior to that and don't regret my decision to switch at all. Not to mention you don't have to pay extra for the DVR feature.

I typically cancel my subscription in April after NCAA hoops is over and resubscribe in late August for the football season. During the summer I basically get by with Netflix, Amazon Prime content, and much less TV watching in general.

youtube channels you lose, rough guess some things have changed

MSG sabres knicks rangers

Hallmark channels
Life
Me Tv
QVC
NFL
NHL
TVG
History
Vice
Nik channels
TVland
ION
CMT
BET
MYV
VH1
UP
NASA
CSPAN
Weather channel
RFD

spectrum with internet is $100 why are people paying $200 unless you add on channels you dont get with Youtube anyway? more TVs bump that cost too

Yeah, YouTubeTV really isn’t up to snuff yet. I’m still subscribing to YouTubeTV and Comcast. But I’d like to cut the cord. Just not satisfied enough with YouTube. Unfortunately, I’m not sure Comcast ever adds the ACC Network. A big fail on the part of the ACC and Comcast.

We are debating Youtube TV against Hulu TV. Leaning towards Hulu because we already have the no live Hulu - Disney+ and ESPN+ subscription

Question for fellow YouTubeTV’ers, have you noticed while watching a live sporting event that yours is a little behind someone watching on cable?

I noticed this Saturday during the VT game while my friend and I were texting back and forth during the game and his was ahead of mine.
Yeah it’s about 8-10 seconds.

I will also recommend YouTube TV. All the local channels, plus sports out the butt and just about all the cable channels that'd interest most folks. It's crisp, reliable, and the only gripe I had was it took me a bit to get used to the recording feature. I had Sling for about a year prior to that and don't regret my decision to switch at all. Not to mention you don't have to pay extra for the DVR feature.

I typically cancel my subscription in April after NCAA hoops is over and resubscribe in late August for the football season. During the summer I basically get by with Netflix, Amazon Prime content, and much less TV watching in general.
Yeah, recording is not super intuitive.

That’s not a YouTube specific issue. I think it may be streaming any source. I’ve noticed it in the past while using ESPN+
Yes I've noticed it with all streaming services, even WatchESPN. I have Hulu with Live TV and I swear there are times when my stream is over a minute behind the broadcast signal. Makes it frustrating when texting friends or even the game threads on here. One other annoying thing is that Hulu forces you to watch the commercials even if you are recording the event. So if you start watching late, trying to catch up (by skipping commercials) to live is a feat.

Yeah, YouTubeTV really isn’t up to snuff yet. I’m still subscribing to YouTubeTV and Comcast. But I’d like to cut the cord. Just not satisfied enough with YouTube. Unfortunately, I’m not sure Comcast ever adds the ACC Network. A big fail on the part of the ACC and Comcast.
Where does YouTubeTV fall short to you?

I have sling and I love it. Best decision I ever made. Switched my internet to Fios as well.

Aha, jumped in for just this question:

Did you buy their router? Use your own (which they recommend you not do)?

I'm switching to Fios this month, Spectrum is the worst, but hoping to keep the router that I am comfortable with.

Where does YouTubeTV fall short to you?

I’m a Weather Channel guy. And I like to watch MSG for certain events now and then. And the History Channel. There are probably several others.

So if I get the YouTube channel can I login with my phone when I’m away from home and watch Syracuse games when I’m out and about like in a restaurant,?

Yup

So if I get the YouTube channel can I login with my phone when I’m away from home and watch Syracuse games when I’m out and about like in a restaurant,?

Yes.

Was just on YouTube TV site. It says Share With Your Family up to 6 accounts. It goes on to say up to 3 streams. What exactly does that mean? Is that all under the same roof or could you use a family member's account who lives in the same area?

right now they are still allowing you to have 3 streams anytime but you can create 6 accts to use it.,. rumors are the streaming sites are gonna crack down on this but now the goal is to kill cable and with so many streaming sites competing they havent really done much to stop the sharing. some of the heavies think its a big deal some dont. some like ESPN allow it but will cause you to enter credentials over and over when they see logins from different locations/devices too many times.

Was just on YouTube TV site. It says Share With Your Family up to 6 accounts. It goes on to say up to 3 streams. What exactly does that mean? Is that all under the same roof or could you use a family member's account who lives in the same area?
We live on the Canadian border. My oldest son in Syracuse shares our account as does youngest son in Charleston SC. Plus, we can watch it on our iPads and iPhones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom