Might cut the cord | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

It seriously amazes me how cheap people sound on this board when it comes to cable TV. Just pay for Spectrum, get the channels you want and avoid all the headaches and aggravation...issues solved!

The only thing I watch are sports. I don't care about other channels like HGTV, Discovery, etc. I pay only for internet and stream every game via reddit. Can it be annoying finding a stream? Absolutely. But, I do not miss having a cable bill

It seriously amazes me how cheap people sound on this board when it comes to cable TV. Just pay for Spectrum, get the channels you want and avoid all the headaches and aggravation...issues solved!

Some like me only watch about 10 different channels but have two homes and I love the transportability of my current situation with YoutubeTV...plus I like saving $1000 a year.

For Roku users who subscribe to YoutubeTV

Dear Roku Customer,

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

Ensuring a great streaming experience at an exceptional value is the core of our business. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results.
Thank you
Roku

For Roku users who subscribe to YoutubeTV

Dear Roku Customer,

We are sending this email to update you on the possibility that Google may take away your access to the YouTube TV channel on Roku. Recent negotiations with Google to carry YouTube TV have broken down because Roku cannot accept Google’s unfair terms as we believe they could harm our users.

Ensuring a great streaming experience at an exceptional value is the core of our business. We will always stand up for our users, which is why we cannot accept Google's unfair and anticompetitive requirements to manipulate your search results, impact the usage of your data and ultimately cost you more.

While we are deeply disappointed in Google’s decision to use their monopoly power to try and force terms that will directly harm streamers, we remain committed to reaching an agreement with Google that preserves your access to YouTube TV, protects your data and ensures a level playing field for companies to compete. We encourage you to contact Google and urge them to reach an agreement to continue offering YouTube TV on Roku and to follow standard industry practices pledging not to require access to sensitive search data or to manipulate your search results.
Thank you
Roku
Roku is in a dispute with Spectrum now too. You can no longer download the Spectrum app on a Roku and there is a warning not to delete it, because if you do, you won't be able to get it again.

The Nets were on TNT recently (YouTubeTV)and it was blacked out for me. Since when do TNT games get blacked out?

TV is stupid.
Did you actually go to the TNT game. I get the blackout icon on a lot of NBA games in the TV guide but still get the games.

Did you actually go to the TNT game. I get the blackout icon on a lot of NBA games in the TV guide but still get the games.
I did. Turned it to TNT and got nothing. Never seen that before.

I have YouTube TV and it's blossomed into about $75 a month. That wasn't the idea about cutting the cord - that's starting to get too high. They need better competition. Sony streaming was a solid competitor but they just didn't make it. The other streaming providers are just not that great.

I guess we knew this day would come. Everyone moves from cable to stream, so the old problems move from one to the other.
Yup, at this point, I find the phrase "cutting the cord" silly. All these services come in on the same cord and the price has been steadily creeping up on internet cable tv to where the old coax cable tv is.

We do have way more flexibility though than just being limited to cable via cable box so that is nice. I don't watch a ton of TV so it's nice not to have to be locked in to one service and keep the monthly fee lower.

FIOS Gigabit Internet ($36, work pays the other half of the bill since I telework) + VPN ($2) + Locast ($5 donation) + YouTubeTV ($20, Google allows you to share your service with a few others in your Google family so I split it with my siblings) is way nicer than the $200+/month I paid Comcast or Verizon years ago for the same channels.

Not too mention, grabbed several FireTV 4k sticks for $15/each which is WAY nicer than paying $15 per cable box per month.

I have YouTube TV and it's blossomed into about $75 a month. That wasn't the idea about cutting the cord - that's starting to get too high. They need better competition. Sony streaming was a solid competitor but they just didn't make it. The other streaming providers are just not that great.
Agreed. I’m getting rid of it for a few months. It’s a great service but that’s too much money. I’ve got the MLB pass, and Hulu. Good enough for the summer. I’ll save my $225 or whatever it would be for those 3 months.

Agreed. I’m getting rid of it for a few months. It’s a great service but that’s too much money. I’ve got the MLB pass, and Hulu. Good enough for the summer. I’ll save my $225 or whatever it would be for those 3 months.
Do,you like Hulu? How is it for sports and local channels ?

I have Hulu Live (which also gets me local channels) and I like it. The DVR is a little quirky, but it has been a good replacement for Comcast. You can also get a nice discount when you bundle Hulu, Disney, ESPN+ together. I also subscribe to Frndly which gets me the e weather channel and all of the Hallmark channels. Gotta keep the bride happy!

I have Hulu Live (which also gets me local channels) and I like it. The DVR is a little quirky, but it has been a good replacement for Comcast. You can also get a nice discount when you bundle Hulu, Disney, ESPN+ together. I also subscribe to Frndly which gets me the e weather channel and all of the Hallmark channels. Gotta keep the bride happy!
Hulu isn't bad. That being said, they went on my do not subscribe to list when they eliminated YES network.

Right now I just have the 5.99 a month version of Hulu that is similar to Netflix.

I did have Hulu Live for awhile. It was similar to YouTubeTV, just with a less functional and kindve annoying interface. But at the time it was very similar to YouTubeTV in terms of sports/locals.

I think Hulu will be good for NHL next year with Disney and ESPN+

Here is the best thread for the latest in cutting the cord for a sports streaming fan. H/t: Solohawks

As of 04/01/2021
From a sports fan perspective.
This does not include any temporary promotional prices

$5/month - Peacock Premium
Premier League Pass w/ 24/7 EPL Channel, Rugby Pass, IndyCar Pass, Track and Field Pass, Figure Skating Pass, Snow Pass, Supercross and Motorcross Pass, and Premier League Lacrosse Pass, WWE PPV Monthly Events & Archive
Extra EPL matches, Figure Skating and Skiing events, Guinness Six Nations Rugby Championship, Premiership Rugby, Heineken Champions Cup, Premiere League Lacrosse, WWE Network events and content

$6/month - ESPN+
NCAA - select events across a variety of sports from the Big 12, AAC, A10, AEast, ASun, Big South, Big West, CUSA, ECAC Hockey, Horizon, Ivy, MAC, MAAC, MEAC, MVC, MVFC, NEC, OVC, Patriot, SoCon, Southland, Sunbelt, Summit, SWAC, WCC, WAC
Baseball - select MLB regular season and Little League World Series
Hockey - select NHL regular season games and IIHF World Championship matches
UFC - UFC Pay-Per-View events, Fight Night events, Preliminary fights from UFC on ESPN, UFC Archival Content
Top Rank Boxing Exclusive fights and undercard bouts from Top Rank on ESPN
PFL (Professional Fighters League)
Soccer - Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal, Serie A, Coppa Italia, SuperCoppa Italiana, FA Cup, MLS out of market matches, UEFA Nations League, English Football League (EFL Championship, Carabao Cup, League 1 and League 2), US Open Cup, Dutch Eredivise, USL, Australian A League, W League, Chinese Super League, Indian Super League, Danish Superliga, Swedish Allsvenskan
Football - CFL games
Basketball – select FIBA games
Tennis - select matches from US Open, Australian Open and Wimbledon
Rugby - select Pro14 Rugby and SANZAAR Rugby (including Super Rugby, The Rugby Championship, the Lions Series, Mitre10 Cup, Currie Cup, Bledisloe Cup and other international matches). Plus, the HSBC World Rugby Sevens series and select Major League Rugby
Cricket - Test, ODI and T20 cricket matches featuring New Zealand, India, Ireland, Pakistan and more.
Lacrosse - FIL World Lacrosse Championships and select Major League Lacrosse matches
Esports - League of Legends events
ESPN Films and 30 For 30 archive
Great package for those who love college sports, UFC, and/or European soccer and ESPN 30 for 30 library

$8/month - Fanatiz
beIN SPORTS, beIN SPORTS en Español, beIN SPORTS Connect, beIN SPORTS XTRA, GolTV, GolTV en Español, TyC Sports International, Argentina LPF, Argentina Play, Brasileirao Play, NuestraTele, Tigo Sports, LaLiga TV, Real Madrid TV, Sevilla TV, Todo Noticias, For The Fans, and Trace Sports Stars.
Italian Soccer in Italian package an additional $8/month or base stand alone package
An afforable soccer focused streaming service

$10/month - Paramount+
Local CBS Affiliate, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Women's Champions League, Nation Women's Soccer League (NWSL), Brazilian Soccer, Argentinian Soccer, Concacaf Nations League, Non US and Mexico Concacaf matches and qualifiers
Easy access to CBS content and extra soccer content

$10/month - Sling World Sports or Sling Latino
BEIN Sports & Extra, BEIN La Liga TV, BEIN Sports Connect, Priemere Brazilian Soccer, Willow TV, Willow TV Extra,
Latino package substitutes BEIN Espanol for BEIN Sports and NBC Universo plus other Spanish language entertainment channels for Willow
Can add on BEIN Sports to Latino or other non English language channels in $5/month packages which can increase league available.
An easy way to add BEIN, Brazilian soccer and Willow cricket or NBC Universo

$10/month - B/R Live
Live matches from National Lacrosse League and World Armwrestling League, 24/7 channels from Liverpool FC, Manchester United, Tottenham, and Arsenal

$12.50/month - FloSports
Wrestling, Grappling, Racing, Marching, Track, Cycling, MileSplit? Varsity, Bowling, Softball, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Cheer, Competitive Fitness, Rodeo, Rugby, Gymnastics, Volleyball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Combat, Voice, Dance, Swimming, DirtonDirt
25 sports channels with a variety of events and properties including CAA Basketball and a wide variety of Amateur wrestling championships

$13/month - Amazon Prime
In Market Only - Seattle Sounders Non National games and Select New York Yankees games
Select Thursday Night Football games

$20/month - DAZN
Boxing and MMA content.

$30/month - Fubo Latino
Univision, Unimas, Galavison, TUDN & TUDN Extra Channels, BEIN Sports, BEIN Sports Espanol, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes, GolTv Espanol, TYC Sports, Nuestra Tele International
If soccer is a priority and English language not a requirement then this a very affordable base package so other sevices like ESPN+ and CBS All Access can be added. No Telemundo or NBC Universo

$30/month - Vidgo Espanol
BEIN Sports Espanol, ESPN Deportes, Fox Deportes, TYC Sports, Nuestra Tele International
Another Option but Fubo offers more bang for your buck

$35/month - Sling Orange
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, TBS, TNT, Stadium, BEIN Sports Extra
The cheapest price point available to get ESPN/2, TBS, and TNT. Also includes easy access to Stadium and BEIN Sports Extra.

$35/month - Sling Blue
FS1, NBCSN, NFL Network, Local FOX/NBC affiliate (if owned by Fox/NBC), TBS, TNT, TruTV, Stadium, BEIN Sports Extra
The cheapest price point available to get FOX/NBC/Turner plus the NFL Network. Also includes easy access to Stadium and BEIN Sports Extra.

$46/month - Sling Orange & Sports Pack
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, TBS, TNT, PAC 12 Network, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, BEIN Sports & Extra, Stadium
The cheapest price point available to get all ESPN Networks, TBS, and TNT with most other specialty sport networks.
MISSING: NFL Network, RSNs, CBSSN, Big 10 Network, FS1/FS2, NBCSN, Golf, and Olympic

$46/month - Sling Blue & Sports Pack
FS1, FS2, NBCSN, NFL Network, Local FOX/NBC affiliate (if owned by Fox/NBC), TBS, TNT, TruTv, NFL Redzone, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, Big 10 Network, Pac 12 Network, BEIN Sports & Extra, Stadium
Gets you most Non ESPN sports channels
MISSING: RSNs, the ESPN Networks, CBSSN

$50/month - Sling Orange/Blue Combo
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, FS1, NBCSN, NFL Network, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Local FOX/NBC affiliate (if owned by Fox/NBC)
The Cheapest way to get ESPN, NBCSN, FS1, and Turner Sports plus the NFL Network

$55/month - Vidgo
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPNNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, FS1, FS2, Fox Deportes, Big Ten Network, Local FOX/ABC Affiliates (if available), NFL Network, NFL Redzone, Pac 12 Network and Regional PAC 12 Networks, BEIN Sports, MAV TV
New Sevice that had added ESPN and Fox Networks plus Redzone. This package is worth a look for college sports fans.
MISSING: ESPN3 access(?), RSNs, NBC, NBCSN, CBS, CBSSN, NBA, NHL, MLB, Golf, Olympic, Tennis, TBS, TNT

$65/month - Sling Orange/Blue Combo with Sports
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 content, ESPNNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, Longhorn Network, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, NFL Network, Local FOX/NBC affiliate (if owned by Fox/NBC), TBS, TNT, TruTv, NFL Redzone, NBA Network, NHL Network, MLB Network, MLB Strikezone, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, Big 10 Network, Pac 12 Network, BEIN Sports & Extra, Stadium
Gets you pretty much all sports channels except RSNs and CBSSN

$65/month - FuboTv Starter Plan
SUBJECT TO $6/MONTH RSN FEE - New England, Pittsburgh, PA and surrounding areas, Houston, TX and surrounding areas, Buffalo/Rochester, NY and surrounding areas, and Chicago, IL and surrounding areas
ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Network, Big 10 Network, ACC/SEC Network (IN TERRITORY ONLY), NFL Network, BEIN English/Espanol/Extra, BEIN La Liga TV, BEIN Connect Networks, TVG, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX affiliate and NBC/AT&T SW/AT&T PIT/NESN/MSG RSNs (If available), Univision, UniMas, Galavison, TUDN and TUDN Extra channels, Telemundo

No Bally RSNs, Altitude, MASN, or YES, and only 2 AT&T/Root of the 4 RSNs. Turner Networks currently in dispute. ESPN3 Access is available on the ESPN app with FuboTV credentials.

Fubo had an Extra package for $6/month that includes ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ACC Network, SEC Network, PAC 12 Network, Tennis, MLB, NBA, NHL, TUDN Zona Futbol, Stadium, and the Stadium Xtra channels along with some other non sports channels.

Fubo had an International Sports package for $6/month that includes TUDN Zona Futbol, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, ESPN Deportes, GolTV English/Spanish, TYC Sports, and NXT Level Sports

Fubo had an Adventure package for $5/month that includes Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, Outside TV, MAV TV, Insight TV, and World Fishing Network

Fubo has a Sports pack available for additional $11/month which will add ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ACC Network, SEC Network, PAC 12 Network, Tennis Channel, MLB, NBA, NHL, TUDN Zona Futbol, Stadium, the Stadium Xtra channels if you dont have the Extra Package PLUS NFL Redzone, MLB Strikezone, PAC 12 regional networks, Fight Network, VISN, Game+, and TVG2

ACC and SEC states gets ACC/SEC Network in the base package. Hard to see how this beats YouTube TV though unless you like Bein and Univision soccer or want to pay for their addons

$65/month - YouTube TV
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNEWS, ESPNU, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, NFL Network, NBA Network, MLB Network, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Affiliate & NBC RSNs (if available)
YouTube TV is a well rounded package for sports if you do not need NFL Network and pritotize a high number of streams and DVR. ESPN 3 content is available via ESPN app. No Bally RSNs, Altitude, MASN, MSG, NESN, YES, or Marquee. Tennis Channel has been dropped

YouTube TV has a sports pack available for additional $10/month which will add NFL Redzone, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox College Sports, GolTV, MavTV, Stadium, and TVG

$65/month - Hulu Live TV
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN College Extra, FS1, FS2, CBSSN, NBCSN, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Big 10 Network, SEC Network, ACC Network, Local ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Affiliate & NBC RSN (if available)
ESPN3 Content can be accessed with a Hulu Live TV login in the ESPN app.
Latest price increase greatly reduces advantage over YouTubeTV
MISSING: NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB/TENNIS/PAC 12/BEIN and non NBC RSNs

$70/month - AT&T TV Entertainment
ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, NBCSN, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Local FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS Affiliates (if available)
Univision and Galavision also included which have Spanish language soccer.

$85/month - AT&T TV Choice
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, FS1, NBCSN, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Local FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS Affiliates (if available), RSN, ACC Network, SEC Network, Big 10 Network, MLB Network, NBA Network, Tennis Channel, TVG
All RSNs except NBC Philly and NBC Northwest. Univision, Galavision, and UniMas also included for Spanish Language soccer.

$95/month - AT&T TV Ultimate
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, FS1, FS2, NBCSN, CBS Sports Network, TBS, TNT, TruTV, Local FOX/NBC/ABC/CBS Affiliates (if available), RSN, ACC Network, SEC Network, Big 10 Network, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel, MLB Network, NBA Network, NHL Network, Tennis Channel, TVG
All RSNs except NBC Philly and NBC Northwest. All Univision networks included for Spanish Language soccer.
As of now, if you want RSN's and don't want traditional cable, this is your only option. The Choice and Ultimate options include HBO Max for 1 year AND NBA League Pass for the 2020-2021 season. I would look into bundling cable/internet though, because this package is very expensive for what you get and there are better options

nfl network and redzone are being added to hulu live tv in time for nfl season also

This website is kinda spammy and touches into questionable areas on how to jailbreak fire sticks but it has some good info for streamers.

If there is anyone out there that is looking at cutting the cord but their significant other is concerned about the Hallmark channels, you may want to look at this streaming service as a cheaper option for Hallmark. Of course this doesn't have any sports channels so you'll still need something for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom