Mike Hopkins? | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins?

Jamesvillecuse

2nd String
I personally am excited about Mike taking over for JB. I was wondering what everyone feels will be Mikes playing style for his teams? Will he press more than Jb, I think he will, will he play only zone, I don't think he will I think he will like to affect the pace of the game more than JB does, Thoughts please?

Lville plays zone and affects the pace of the game. I've always wondered about a half court trapping zone, kind of organized chaos. I'm sure with film and good coaching it would be easily dissected although players especially in college make a lot of mistakes and you would basically be rolling the dice trying to get them to play risk reward and amplify those mistakes. I would expect us to see Mike throw the change up more than JB does although I also expect the 2-3 to be his base defense but of course with his own wrinkles.

I also think by pressing more and mixing up the defenses that Mike will play more guys. Don't get me wrong I love JB and he leaves when he wants. I think it will be a smooth transition like Uconn had.

I also think by pressing more and mixing up the defenses that Mike will play more guys. Don't get me wrong I love JB and he leaves when he wants. I think it will be a smooth transition like Uconn had.

Jury's still out on UCONN. UNC didn't have a smooth transition and that took years to play out.

Jury's still out on UCONN. UNC didn't have a smooth transition and that took years to play out.
I suppose we can call it a smooth start. A national championship will do that for you. I hope we can get that kind of start whenever JB hands over the keys.

I love how some ignore the original post question and only respond to one thing that they can spin negatively...lol

I don't expect JB to be the type to linger around. I think you will see him disappear in the proverbial puff of smoke. When he is done, he will be done. He is smart enough too know that the last thing Hop will need, is to have him breathing down Hop's back. JB has ego, you have to in order to be at the pinnacle(or near pinnacle, depending upon how negative you want to be) of your profession. Also, JB has been adamant about not leaving too early, and having regrets.

Having said that, It is hard to believe that Hop would spend years teaching, and extolling the virtues of the 2-3, just to do a flip-flop as soon as the head gig is his. I don't think he makes much change in the first couple years. He will then likely start to mold things more to his personal tastes. He is a high energy guy, so it is easy to imagine him putting more emphasis on a pressure type defense or wrinkle to the base 2-3.

Last edited:
I don't expect JB to be the type to linger around. I think you will see him disappear in the proverbial puff of smoke. When he is done, he will be done. He is smart enough to know that the last thing Hop will need, is to have him breathing down Hop's back. JB has ego, you have to in order to be at the pinnacle(or near pinnacle, depending upon how negative you want to be) of your profession. Also, JB has been adamant about not leaving too early, and having regrets.

Having said that, It is hard to believe that Hop would spend years teaching, and extolling the virtues of the 2-3, just to do a flip-flop as soon as the head gig is his. I don't he makes much change in the first couple years. He will then likely start to mold things more to his personal tastes. He is a high energy guy, so it is easy to imagine him putting more emphasis on a pressure type defense or wrinkle to the base 2-3.

I agree. I think very little change will be seen as Mike adapts to the head job.

There will be changes; Mike will put his stamp on the program. Some will be in the rotation of players into the game (increasing the numbers in the rotation) and others will be in the schemes; both on offense and D. Through his association with USA Basketball, he is conversing with many of the top minds in hoops coaching.

Lville plays zone and affects the pace of the game. I've always wondered about a half court trapping zone, kind of organized chaos. I'm sure with film and good coaching it would be easily dissected although players especially in college make a lot of mistakes and you would basically be rolling the dice trying to get them to play risk reward and amplify those mistakes. I would expect us to see Mike throw the change up more than JB does although I also expect the 2-3 to be his base defense but of course with his own wrinkles.

Our zone is fine the way it is. It is a good defense. Its downside is when teams can get some good looks and knock down open shots from outside. Its our offense that is bad and cost us alot.

For example.look at our ncaa losses especially in march and you will see stats like
Warrick with 10 turnovers, gerry 2-8 from outside
Gerry 0-6 against TAandM.
No AO/ scoop and triche doing little to nothing with wes and andy having a rough game only 25 points at half.
2-15 from jumpshots jerami grant something like 6 quiet points. fair 3-15 cooney real cold shooting ennis not to good.
Scoop having a good game but dion, cj, no fab, not. 52 foul shot calls on top of it is rediculous. We didn't really get any fast breaks off our d because they whistled us for everything.
triche and cj good games but Mcw quiet driving all game james southerland only 2 three pointers in a final four game.

Bottom line if our offense stays hot we usually win, even if the opponents offense is hot. Heck duke hit what something like 14-32 from 3 point range against us, and we still won.

Last edited:
Our zone is fine the way it is. It is a good defense. Its downside is when teams can get some good looks and knock down open shots from outside. Its our offense that is bad and cost us alot.

For example.look at our ncaa losses especially in march and you will see stats like
Warrick with 10 turnovers, gerry 2-8 from outside
Gerry 0-6 against TAandM.
No AO/ scoop and triche doing little to nothing with wes and andy having a rough game only 25 points at half.
2-15 from jumpshots jerami grant something like 6 quiet points. fair 3-15 cooney real cold shooting ennis not to good.
Scoop having a good game but dion, cj, no fab, not. 52 foul shot calls on top of it is rediculous. We didn't really get any fast breaks off our d because they whistled us for everything.
triche and cj good games but Mcw quiet driving all game james southerland only 2 three pointers in a final four game.

Bottom line if our offense stays hot we usually win, even if the opponents offense is hot. Heck duke hit what something like 14-32 from 3 point range against us, and we still won.

It seems you think I feel our defense needs to be changed or needs to get better. That's not really the case I was simply answering the question posed by the OP. What will Mike Hopkins do defensively when he takes over. I tend to agree that our Defense in general is good and almost always good enough to keep us in games. That said it changes from year to year depending on the personal and what the staff is trying to do with the team. When we had Fab we funneled everything to him and often gambled on passing lanes, for example.

I personally am excited about Mike taking over for JB. I was wondering what everyone feels will be Mikes playing style for his teams? Will he press more than Jb, I think he will, will he play only zone, I don't think he will I think he will like to affect the pace of the game more than JB does, Thoughts please?
The biggest change will be personal: what will Igor have to rant about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom