Mike Lonergan fired at GW. | Syracusefan.com

Mike Lonergan fired at GW.

Good riddance. Hope GW can find a good coach to take over a month before official practices start.

images-1.jpg

What a strange time to fire your coach.
Or you could be a school where your head coach, Jen Azzi, resigned because you and the asst coach are having a baby together. Although I haven't figured out why that is so much of an issue because there are some married coaches on some staffs together in the womens game. Just bad timing.

Apparently he was fired because he was verbally abusive to players and said disparaging remarks about the AD and opposing teams' players.

We live in an ultra-PC society.

Apparently he was fired because he was verbally abusive to players and said disparaging remarks about the AD and opposing teams' players.

I know none of the details, but. . .

The AD is his boss, and whatever business you're in, making "disparaging remarks' about your boss is a ticket to ride.

Or maybe they concluded the coach is, in fact, an abusive blankety blank, who does not meet GW's standard of required conduct and is not someone the school wants to be associated with a minute longer

Could be, but the admin's timing is suspect regardless hurting players even more. An allegation was first made this past April, heated up in late July but was only decided now after the drop/add date for colleges.

Exactly. Hope we someday return to the free-swinging humor of the Dean Martin roasts. Man, they took no prisoners and everybody got together for a few drinks afterwards. Hate this PC crap. Sorry to go OT.

I know none of the details, but. . .

The AD is his boss, and whatever business you're in, making "disparaging remarks' about your boss is a ticket to ride.
No doubt making disparaging remarks about your boss is a ticket to ride.

However, who here has ever heard disparaging remarks about their boss/president/CEO/superiors/etc. by an associate and how many times did it lead to their termination?

No doubt making disparaging remarks about your boss is a ticket to ride.

However, who here has ever heard disparaging remarks about their boss/president/CEO/superiors/etc. by an associate and how many times did it lead to their termination?

Directly led to termination, no. But part of the overall formula, like this situation may be, I have suspected in more than a couple of situations. Walls have ears.

I've heard stories about him from people in the know up here and he was a bad dude. Not someone you would want your kid playing for. Plus his wife divorced him last year so he's probably got even more anger now.

She was awesome by the way. Good little point guard who could definitely hang with us old guys.

I've heard stories about him from people in the know up here and he was a bad dude. Not someone you would want your kid playing for. Plus his wife divorced him last year so he's probably got even more anger now.

She was awesome by the way. Good little point guard who could definitely hang with us old guys.

Lonergan is not divorced.

ML is tight with the morning drive crew here in DC - he's getting out his side of the story that he blew the whistle internally on someone (sounds like the AD) at GW and it's been a holy war ever since.

ML is tight with the morning drive crew here in DC - he's getting out his side of the story that he blew the whistle internally on someone (sounds like the AD) at GW and it's been a holy war ever since.

From what has been reported so far, his side of the story sounds like a load of crap....but I guess it will play out.

Bottom line is that it is all about $$. GW has the right to terminate him, question is do they have to pay out the 5 years he has remaining on his contract or did he do something to violate the terms of his contract that would relieve GW of the obligation to pay him.

The timing has to be absolutely terrible for GW, it really puts a pall over the upcoming season. I know someone suggested that they may have timed the announcement so as not to lose Cavanaugh, but I would think that the timing is more of a long-term negative for the program than any gain they might make by keeping Cavanaugh on the hook for this upcoming season. The timing makes hiring someone outside of Lonergan's current staff difficult because they are only a couple of weeks away from the beginning of practice and it is also right in the thick of the recruiting period for next year's class. I assume Lonergan's recruits are probably all crossing GW off of their lists as we speak.

From what has been reported so far, his side of the story sounds like a load of crap...but I guess it will play out.

Bottom line is that it is all about $$. GW has the right to terminate him, question is do they have to pay out the 5 years he has remaining on his contract or did he do something to violate the terms of his contract that would relieve GW of the obligation to pay him.

The timing has to be absolutely terrible for GW, it really puts a pall over the upcoming season. I know someone suggested that they may have timed the announcement so as not to lose Cavanaugh, but I would think that the timing is more of a long-term negative for the program than any gain they might make by keeping Cavanaugh on the hook for this upcoming season. The timing makes hiring someone outside of Lonergan's current staff difficult because they are only a couple of weeks away from the beginning of practice and it is also right in the thick of the recruiting period for next year's class. I assume Lonergan's recruits are probably all crossing GW off of their lists as we speak.

I wonder if Mo Jo, Kris Joseph's brother, will stay on with the interim staff.

Isn't there another Syracuse area kid, from Westhill, Jordan Roland on GW's team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom