Mike Waters basketball chat on syracuse.com | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters basketball chat on syracuse.com

I found the most newsworthy nugget to be BJ Johnson pretty much exclusively working with the forwards. I know many of us were optimistic he could help us this year at the shooting guard spot. I'm not sure he's going to find a lot of minutes at all at the 3, especially when we get into the meat of the ACC schedule.

Mike Waters:

John,

No, B.J.'s working out with the forwards. Sometimes he'll spend some time prior to practice by shooting with the guards. But that's about it.

I like him. He's a good athlete. Nice shooting stroke. He just needs to add some strength to his frame.

He's so skinny. I'd love to know where he buys blue jeans that fit.

Blue jeans? That's showing your age Mike Waters! ;)

"Offense is rarely a problem for Jim Boeheim-coached teams." - don't agree with that statement. I'd say it was a problem maybe 3 of the last 6 seasons.

Really shooting was the problem on those teams. If the players can't hit shots beyond 12 feet, it seriously limits what a coach can do offensively. JB did the best he could with what he had player-ability-wise on the offensive end. He took some teams that were very poor shooting groups and took them to an Elite 8 and Final 4. That's pretty good.

I found the most newsworthy nugget to be BJ Johnson pretty much exclusively working with the forwards. I know many of us were optimistic he could help us this year at the shooting guard spot. I'm not sure he's going to find a lot of minutes at all at the 3, especially when we get into the meat of the ACC schedule.
2/3 are interchangeable in SU offense

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Well that's one question answered.

Our guard rotation is Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije.

Johnson playing with the forwards means Johnson is not playing. I was hoping for he'd get a bit of run, I was impressed by him in Canada.

I think early in his career he will be more a 3 but as his defense up top and his handle improves he will morph into a 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike agrees with me. Roberson has the best shot at the NBA. He's the most talented player on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's one question answered.

Our guard rotation is Ennis, Cooney, Gbinije.

Johnson playing with the forwards means Johnson is not playing. I was hoping for he'd get a bit of run, I was impressed by him in Canada.

I'm with you, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. If neither MikeG nor Cooney can make 3's in games then Bj will have to be goven a chance to dpo that IMO.

Really shooting was the problem on those teams. If the players can't hit shots beyond 12 feet, it seriously limits what a coach can do offensively. JB did the best he could with what he had player-ability-wise on the offensive end. He took some teams that were very poor shooting groups and took them to an Elite 8 and Final 4. That's pretty good.

That is a good point but after all shooting is a huge part of offense.

"Offense is rarely a problem for Jim Boeheim-coached teams." - don't agree with that statement. I'd say it was a problem maybe 3 of the last 6 seasons.
You're using a small sample size.

Orangefan13 still trying to promote Roberson to the 2 or at least play alongside Fair and Grant at the same time on the floor. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. If neither MikeG nor Cooney can make 3's in games then Bj will have to be goven a chance to dpo that IMO.

Yeah, I don't have the patience that some of the older probably wiser fans and reporters have. ;)
I like to play with fire when you have the talent to do so. I think back to Dion and MCW finally coming on strong as lane scorers at the end of their freshmen seasons. They didn't get there without going through slumps early in the season. imo, we can't expect BJ or Ron to do that if we sit them for half the season.

BJ and Ron hit threes from the corner in the canada as well. I don't think that will be one of Cooneys spots. Gbinije passed up one being wide open for 4 seconds, took 2 dribbles inside the arc and still passed up a wide open jumper. I don't like that thought of that at SG. And I doubt we will see much of Ennis in the corners at all. I know Rothstein was high on Grants 3 point shot to he hurt his finger recently and haven't seen Robersons yet.

The past six seasons this program has averaged 28.3 wins. The number is over 29 in the past five seasons. That stretch includes a final four team and arguably two teams that were better than that team but fell victim to either injury (the sweet 16 team in -09-10) or Fab-itis (the elite 8 team in 11-12). And the NIT team in 08-09, easily the worst of the bunch, lost two really good scorers to injury, which would sink most programs.

I mean, I'll grant you some of those teams weren't offensive juggernauts, but the point is can you score enough to beat your opponent most nights. We have done that at an astonishing rate the past five seasons. I honestly don't think there's much of an argument to be had that JB has had trouble producing teams that were good enough at putting the ball in the basket.

Orangefan13 still trying to promote Roberson to the 2 or at least play alongside Fair and Grant at the same time on the floor. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's a crazy idea depending on what we get from Gbinje/Cooney. Is there really a reason that we couldn't do a couple stretches of Fair at the two in some games? Maybe I'm crazy but if Roberson is that good, couldn't Fair hang at the 2 for three or four minutes once or twice a game?

The past six seasons this program has averaged 28.3 wins. The number is over 29 in the past five seasons. That stretch includes a final four team and arguably two teams that were better than that team but fell victim to either injury (the sweet 16 team in -09-10) or Fab-itis (the elite 8 team in 11-12). And the NIT team in 08-09, easily the worst of the bunch, lost two really good scorers to injury, which would sink most programs.

I mean, I'll grant you some of those teams weren't offensive juggernauts, but the point is can you score enough to beat your opponent most nights. We have done that at an astonishing rate the past five seasons. I honestly don't think there's much of an argument to be had that JB has had trouble producing teams that were good enough at putting the ball in the basket.
The 2008-09 team was not an NIT team. It made the NCAA Sweet 16 in Memphis where it lost to Oklahoma and Blake Griffin. Those of us who went to Memphis for the NCAAs there have a pretty clear memory of it.

The 2008-09 team was not an NIT team. It made the NCAA Sweet 16 in Memphis where it lost to Oklahoma and Blake Griffin. Those of us who went to Memphis for the NCAAs there have a pretty clear memory of it.

My bad. 07-08.

I'm really not sure why everyone was assuming BJ was going to be a guard? Not even trying to get into it, but it was my main reason for considering a red shirt for him. He isn't going to get minutes this season.