Mikel Jones | Syracusefan.com

Mikel Jones

He didn’t say potential he said best Lbs in 27 years

The exact quote was best group of young linebackers since 1993.

For context, here's the history lesson. Heavy LB graduation losses after 92, and an early season ending injury for Dan Conley in 93. A bunch of true freshmen and redshirt freshmen were pressed into duty. That team couldn't stop the run, at all.

By 95, the same kids were part of a D that went 8-3 and shut out Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

Will this group develop in a similar fashion? I don't know, but hope so. Will be a good litmus test on how the staff is at developing their recruits.

Definitely like the potential with this unit but they are very young and tackled like crap yesterday. If we had recruited better most likely shouldn't be playing as redshirt Freshman and Freshman.

I feel like a good deal of the rushing yards is just the scheme. We play a 3-3-5 and we are flat out going to give up more rushing yards in general but we will shoot some gaps, create some confusion and get some stops for no gain or losses sprinkled in. But we should create more big plays via turnovers when the other team passes. But our guys are young and not tackling all that well right now.

Is he wrong really though? Frankly I don’t see it as an issue if he makes a callout. I bet other parents make the same ones about other players to
I think he's wrong. It's a young group. It's not all on the LB's that we can't stop the run. Our defense relies heavily on the safeties to help out there, and we lost our AA along with some others there. Did the dline do their part?

That '93 group was young and small too. I think that was the year WVU set a record for rushing yards in the Dome with about 440 yards and they never punted. Fast forward to '95 and that group grew up and became a strength. I expect this group to mature similarly.

The exact quote was best group of young linebackers since 1993.

For context, here's the history lesson. Heavy LB graduation losses after 92, and an early season ending injury for Dan Conley in 93. A bunch of true freshmen and redshirt freshmen were pressed into duty. That team couldn't stop the run, at all.

By 95, the same kids were part of a D that went 8-3 and shut out Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

Will this group develop in a similar fashion? I don't know, but hope so. Will be a good litmus test on how the staff is at developing their recruits.
I believe that was also the year we switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3. We moved guys that were good sized LBs to DE and Safeties to LB in an attempt to increase our speed on defense. Didn't Nate Hemsley play at like 195 lbs that year?

The defense is way better than the offense even if the LBers "can't stop the run."

Dead last in offensive YPP
40/76 in defensive YPP

Glass houses and stones.

I think he's wrong. It's a young group. It's not all on the LB's that we can't stop the run. Our defense relies heavily on the safeties to help out there, and we lost our AA along with some others there. Did the dline do their part?

That '93 group was young and small too. I think that was the year WVU set a record for rushing yards in the Dome with about 440 yards and they never punted. Fast forward to '95 and that group grew up and became a strength. I expect this group to mature similarly.
I think he’s wrong too, as it just doesn’t look good when a parent or someone close to the program is calling out his son’s teammates in a public forum. It’s just not a good look. And that goes for the Facebook messages too that are referenced about Tommy. Dino preaches Ohana. Well, Posts like those don’t make it feel that way when it comes from someone close to the program. Just my two cents.

I think he’s wrong to as it just doesn’t look good when a parent is calling out teammates in a public forum. It’s just not a good look. And that goes for the Facebook messages too that are referenced. Dino preachers Obama. Well, Posts like those don’t make it feel that way when it comes from someone close to the program. Just my two cents.

Not sure why he's allowed to post these things and not many say anything about it. I have voiced my opinion on it before as well but it seems to be ok as far as mods etc.are concerned.

Definitely like the potential with this unit but they are very young and tackled like crap yesterday. If we had recruited better most likely shouldn't be playing as redshirt Freshman and Freshman.
Blocking, Tackling, Running, Throwing, Catching.

We can do only maybe 2 of the above 5, that's not a good thing.

The defense is way better than the offense even if the LBers "can't stop the run."

40/76 in defensive YPP

Glass houses and stones.
Couldn't stop the run in 4 of 4 games this year.

NC. 4.6 yards per rush on 160 yards (35 att)
Pitt 2.9 yards per rush on 127 yards (44 att)
GT 4.0 yards per rush on 163 yards (41 att)
Duke 5.8 yards per rush on 363 yards (63 att)

813 yards on 183 attempts is 4.44 yards per attempt...horrendous

40/76 in defensive YPP

Glass houses and stones.
I would throw stones too

We are 5th worst in defensive rushing yards per game at 231 And giving up 4.44 yards per attempt.

This Conversation was about the run, not yards per play defense.

If you can run the ball at 4.44 per play...why pass at all. Its that bad.

Huh ? In the 3 3 5 it’s there job to stop the run
And they are not even close
Yeah I agree as I see them not coming forward enough. Too much sitting back.

Yeah I agree as I see them not coming forward enough. Too much sitting back.
They are young and talented hopefully they will adjjust problem is if we fix the run does it open the pass ?

They are young and talented hopefully they will adjjust problem is if we fix the run does it open the pass ?
I don't think the rushing numbers are fixed this year. Those guys need to grow physically and mentally. I think we're trading rushing for situational pressure and turnovers, which we have been able to get consistently. Had the offense been able to take advantage of its opportunities, especially the short field, we likely have 2 more wins and this is much less of a discussion. That's not even counting how much longer the defense has been on the field due to the offense's inability to sustain drives, inflating the defensive numbers even more.

What I hope for is that we are able to keep good defensive lineman in front of them in the next couple years. If we don't, we'll have talented linebackers that look bad.

Last edited:
Blocking, Tackling, Running, Throwing, Catching.

We can do only maybe 2 of the above 5, that's not a good thing.
I hope the LBs are not worried too much about doing 3 of those 5. If they are, we're wasting valuable practice time on skills they don't need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom