Minnesota hiring Nick Monroe | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota hiring Nick Monroe

Nonsense , with the pieces we had another winning season was at hand. Dino wasn’t going anywhere, I don’t know the biggest factor in Monroe’s decision but I’m confident that’s not it.
Just speculating because it just doesn't make sense to me. All signs pointed to him being the heir to the DC throne after a year or 2 of mentoring by the godfather. Short term money grab is the only other thing I can think of that makes sense. Path to promotion seemed there.

*Edit - unless of course he felt he was ready and had sour grapes about not getting his shot immediatly.

It's amazing how quickly this board assumes Dino and the University does nothing

I don't care if we officially gave him the title of Swag Daddy of Defense we don't compete with Big Ten money plus he is from that area. Maybe he wanted to coach near home and the money doesn't hurt.

As we say NEXT MAN UP

Monroe moved on for a better opportunity with a solid & secure head coach in P.J. Also, it gets him back to his home state. Coaches can be replaced and for there are many good ones out there. Considering the overall record of Dino's SU tenure and our likely place, near or at the bottom of ACC recruiting, bring in someone who can shake things up on the hill.

In my over 60 years of being an SU football fan, this is the biggest mistake we ever made. He needed to be given a new title immediately and a big bump in salary. Maybe Rocky didn't want a co, but if he was willing, this is what we needed to do and then announce it immediately to the world. Schools would have been less likely to approach him then, although he had quite the job interview for this at the Pinstripe. But we could have locked him up better the week before the Pinstripe. Yes, I hope he doesn't take the SU best players with him, but we have 6 days to hold our breath, but we all know what is going to happen. He also sat there and watched another coach get promoted within. That is not a good feeling when it is your time. Don't say he wasn't ready because a bigger school in a bigger conference thought otherwise. Money isn't everything. Sometimes you have to take care of what you already have and make them feel valued. I'm thinking he didn't feel valued in how all of this went down...
Man there is a lot of truth in this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's amazing how quickly this board assumes Dino and the University does nothing

I don't care if we officially gave him the title of Swag Daddy of Defense we don't compete with Big Ten money plus he is from that area. Maybe he wanted to coach near home and the money doesn't hurt.

As we say NEXT MAN UP
I'm interested to see who from his coaching tree Rocky might bring to SU.

Not sure why this is even remotely a surprise. He is a rising star and well-regarded. While it is true that Co-DC is not the same as DC, it is a lot better than just being a position coach. In addition, the $$$ as Co-DC anywhere in the P5 is going to be better than "position coach" $$$ at SU. It is a total win for him.

Dino had to know that this was a possibility when he was not promoted to DC. I think most of us realized that possibility. Dino obviously felt the risk was worth not being tied to a DC that he felt (apparently) was not what he wanted. Depending upon the degree of recruiting falloff, current guys bailing, plus how our defense performs under Long, it could be the straw that ultimately breaks Dino's coaching back at SU. We shall see.

Could be worse; we all could have been stuck with Swag Daddy tee shirts that are now useless. Good thing he wasn't getting NIL $$$....

Huge loss, his results speak for themselves but life is fleeting and nothing gold can stay... With that said I hated his facial hair. Just shave the damn soul patch. Like, did he know about it? Did he just miss it every time he shaved? Like he legitimately just missed that portion of hair. I'm glad I finally was able to say something.

IMO - worst news of the year. We better be out looking for the best recruiter we have, because now, we don’t have any.

I would have given Nick the DC role if I knew there was an inkling of this.
What we are seeing is exactly what happens when the head coach is a lame duck, and in the final years of his contract without an extension.

The guy had 1 - 2 catches in almost every…. Oops, wrong thread.

I thought we were finally over the hump and ready to prepare for next year. This sucks. I had settled in too, we’ll lose players and hopefully get some solid new portal players and that’s alright. But if this is our new reality every year, I can’t imagine staying a fan much longer. We’re better off sucking in a way and nobody wants who we have. Because when we’re good we can’t hold off the B10/SEC if they want what we have.

The guy had 1 - 2 catches in almost every…. Oops, wrong thread.

I thought we were finally over the hump and ready to prepare for next year. This sucks. I had settled in too, we’ll lose players and hopefully get some solid new portal players and that’s alright. But if this is our new reality every year, I can’t imagine staying a fan much longer. We’re better off sucking in a way and nobody wants who we have. Because when we’re good we can’t hold off the B10/SEC if they want what we have.

Bravo -- very funny, nicely done.

He clearly wasn't qualified for the role hence the university going after Long. The guy wasn't the architect of the defense. For this Swag Daddy crap that gets touted around here, the classes have been annually at the bottom of the conference. They're not losing anything.
The classes would be even worse without him. You're crazy if that's what you actually believe

Welcome to college football.

Seven years is a long time for any coach to spend at one school.

Sure, this is a loss. The relationships he had with the players, the relationships he had made along the recruiting trails, and the knowledge of the 3-3-5 he had developed, will all be missed.

He's going home. Coach Monroe grew up in Minnesota and his dad coached at the university.

Last edited:
I am not $ure even if we gave Nick the promotion to DC full time it would have $topped thi$. A co-defen$ive coordinator in that conference more than likely $till pay$ the $ame if not more than what we could offer.

By the way, one of the weirdest nick names ever.

Lol i got crushed for this before but i will not miss the nick name… but the coach. Wish we could have kept him but that’s the way it goes sometime.

Best of luck in Minny, Coach Nick Monroe

He could have been named DC and enrolled in the "Jelly of the Month" Club, and Minnesota would still have outbid us.
There's a "Jelly of the Month Club"? This day just got slightly better.

$$$$$>Ohana

In my over 60 years of being an SU football fan, this is the biggest mistake we ever made. He needed to be given a new title immediately and a big bump in salary. Maybe Rocky didn't want a co, but if he was willing, this is what we needed to do and then announce it immediately to the world. Schools would have been less likely to approach him then, although he had quite the job interview for this at the Pinstripe. But we could have locked him up better the week before the Pinstripe. Yes, I hope he doesn't take the SU best players with him, but we have 6 days to hold our breath, but we all know what is going to happen. He also sat there and watched another coach get promoted within. That is not a good feeling when it is your time. Don't say he wasn't ready because a bigger school in a bigger conference thought otherwise. Money isn't everything. Sometimes you have to take care of what you already have and make them feel valued. I'm thinking he didn't feel valued in how all of this went down...

idk if it would've made a difference but until Dino is extended he's a short timer. That means if any of the assistants gets a multi year offer (that improves their situation) they would be crazy not to take it.

As long as this departure doesn't trigger a fresh wave of portal outflux, I think it is very likely that we make a bowl. As in, extremely high probability.
I absolutely agree so long as the fresh wave isnt triggered as you mentioned. He was our Jersey and FL guy which is my biggest worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom