Minnesota is what I expected us to do | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota is what I expected us to do

so we might as well get out of the biz?

We certainly aren't in the arms race biz with the top 20 or so. So if that's what you are talking about then we long ago got out of the biz.

so we might as well get out of the biz?

Nope but doesn't change the fact that we are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to many things when considering running a major football program in a P5 conference. Ignoring those shortcomings and continually complaining about them like they are the fault of current head coach or AD just gets OLD, IMO.

The university needs to STEP UP!!!! ( gets old too)

Glancing at ESPN's Top 50 recruiting rankings, one thing sticks out for sure and that is that 45 out of the 50 schools are state vs. private. ND tops the private's at #13, followed by Miami (19), Stanford (22), Northwestern (35) and Baylor at 50.

NW at #35 was surprising to me. Is it unrealistic to ever find SU near that ranking ever in the future? I'm aware that they recently dumped some serious coin in that stunning IPF, etc.

Some people will never get it. New stadium that is 4-5 years old. 200 million athletic village that was completed in 2018 I think. Seriously, some people will just never get it.

You guys are right Coyle is a genius. Fleck is a good coach but shiny things help too.

I think a top 25 class would cost the University about 400 million in construction not on the docket right now. Guys better start writing checks

Guy didnt do so bad at Directional Michigan right? Did they have a 400M capital improvements?

Nope but doesn't change the fact that we are at a severe disadvantage when it comes to many things when considering running a major football program in a P5 conference. Ignoring those shortcomings and continually complaining about them like they are the fault of current head coach or AD just gets OLD, IMO.

The university needs to STEP UP!!!! ( gets old too)

Agreed. Not sure the school can keep up with the finances that go with modern day athletics., and I'm not sure the school is that committed to making that investment. Basically I think they like to take the money with minimal investment to prove they are playing some part. Also wonder If these cable deals ever go bust what the future looks like.

Glancing at ESPN's Top 50 recruiting rankings, one thing sticks out for sure and that is that 45 out of the 50 schools are state vs. private. ND tops the private's at #13, followed by Miami (19), Stanford (22), Northwestern (35) and Baylor at 50.

NW at #35 was surprising to me. Is it unrealistic to ever find SU near that ranking ever in the future? I'm aware that they recently dumped some serious coin in that stunning IPF, etc.

again, take a look at the practice facility NW just built. Baylor facilities, Also in Texas. Guys have to stop with this stuff. It's night and day. 20 k kitchen versus 200k kitchen

Example 1A. Wash, rinse and repeat. Next coach it will be the same after a year
What makes you think we have a P5 staff outside of Babers and Monroe? It's like the guy who is used to asking out 4s and 5s at the bar suddenly being told to go after 8s, 9s, and 10s. After 4 years it's pretty clear they don't know how to connect and close.

And btw, aren't we supposed to be getting a "game changing" football operations center?

Whats strange to me is that Babers is a super personable guy. From the locker room speeches, the on air interviews, etc, the guy is def personable. Especially compared to a guy like Chris Ash. I met Dino in person, (Citi Field, Syracuse day 2 years ago). Again super personable. Perhaps it is his staff. Some guys are salesman, some arent. Its nature of the beast. Perhaps a shakeup of the staff is warranted, i dunno.

What makes you think we have a P5 staff outside of Babers and Monroe? It's like the guy who is used to asking out 4s and 5s at the bar suddenly being told to go after 8s, 9s, and 10s. After 4 years it's pretty clear they don't know how to connect and close.

And btw, aren't we supposed to be getting a "game changing" football operations center?

I'd settle for Tracy..."a good solid seven and a half." ;):)

Whats strange to me is that Babers is a super personable guy. From the locker room speeches, the on air interviews, etc, the guy is def personable. Especially compared to a guy like Chris Ash. I met Dino in person, (Citi Field, Syracuse day 2 years ago). Again super personable. Perhaps it is his staff. Some guys are salesman, some arent. Its nature of the beast. Perhaps a shakeup of the staff is warranted, i dunno.
Or perhaps it's the product he has to sell. There have been multiple foremer assistants that have stated how difficult it is to recruit at Syracuse. Eddie O comes to mind but why let facts get in the way of a good argument. Lets keep posting nonsense about staff and closers!!!!!

We were consistently in the 20's in the 1990's at least it felt that way. We just need to keep upgrading our facilities and keep going.

Or perhaps it's the product he has to sell. There have been multiple foremer assistants that have stated how difficult it is to recruit at Syracuse. Eddie O comes to mind but why let facts get in the way of a good argument. Lets keep posting nonsense about staff and closers!!!!!

And yet, correct me if I'm wrong, with all of that, Eddie O wanted the head gig here after Shafer was fired, but SU said thanks, but no thanks.

Are you saying that Clawson is a closer on the recruiting trail, a top notch recruiter?

He's recruited at QB wayyyyyyy better than we have. They also have nfl talent at skill positions that we would trade positions with.

He had a similar rebuild to do at Wake that Dino had at SU and has a 2 year head start. His first two were bad at 3-9, 3-9 but he had a plan and has stuck to it.

Their last 4 seasons:

7-6, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3

Ours:

4-8, 4-8, 10-3, 5-7

Of course, and convenient also, if that's the only reason in which you're implying he wanted it.

That's the only reason I implied it - he needed a job and knew his way around Syracuse. USC kicked him to the curb, it didn't work out at Ole Miss and until Joe Burreaux landed on his doorstep Cajun Nation didn't exactly love him.

That's the only reason I implied it - he needed a job and knew his way around Syracuse. USC kicked him to the curb, it didn't work out at Ole Miss and until Joe Burreaux landed on his doorstep Cajun Nation didn't exactly love him.

Did you see the heisman speech? Sounds like Coach O was a big part of the recruiting process and he did not just land on his doorstep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom