Mississippi St fires Zach Arnett / hires Jeff Lebby | Syracusefan.com

Mississippi St fires Zach Arnett / hires Jeff Lebby

That’s tough for Arnett. He was coming in to be DC for Mike Leach. Never expected to be put in the position of HC like he did. His first head job following Leach at a big school. Nowhere to go but down.

Not to mention they gave him one freaking year. That’s absurd.

That’s tough for Arnett. He was coming in to be DC for Mike Leach. Never expected to be put in the position of HC like he did. His first head job following Leach at a big school. Nowhere to go but down.

It would have taken a miracle for him to stick there for any length of time

The only thing I can think of, and I could be wrong because I don’t quite remember when Mike Leach passed, but they could have seen it as too late in the process to be able to get a coach that they would actually want to move forward with so they thought it would be best to keep in in house for a year then move on. But also if that was the case you’d think they’d let Arnett at least finish the year so I don’t know. Either way this was too much too soon on unprecedented circumstances for Arnett, he’ll land somewhere as a DC and do a good job.

If Dino is retained and/or new coach comes in and wants 3-3-5, they should definitely make a play for Arnett again.
Absolutely, but I would imagine he will be a highly sought after DC. But if we could somehow get him back that would be a great hire.

They really weren't competitive at all

Wonder if they turn their lonely eyes to Dan Mullen again?

7f8.gif

I think it is strange that they didn't let him finish out the season -- not sure what firing him now accomplishes that couldn't be accomplished behind the scenes.

Guy got put into a tough position with Leach's unexpected death. I always expected them to go in a different direction [their hands were semi-tied given the timing of the death last year], so no issues with him not being given longer. They probably wanted to do full due diligence, but were just stuck last off-season having to circle the wagons to keep things from falling apart.

Mike Schmidt will probably be looking for a new coaching job too.
Most new HC bring in their own staff.
And I'm not suggesting bringing him back. I like the job Coach Farmer is doing.

Arnett and Babers are two people I could see being up for SDSU. I doubt Babers gets a HC job there with his record as they try to sneak their way into a p5.

Arnett and Babers are two people I could see being up for SDSU. I doubt Babers gets a HC job there with his record as they try to sneak their way into a p5.

:)

Tony White too if they can afford him, at least SDSU has no buyout to deal with so maybe