Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

-43f8c0a3220f7ec4.JPG

Bullet Dodged; Oregon State Elects to Tinkle Instead of Hop (PS; Waters)

Oregon State officials will announce the hiring of Montana coach Wayne Tinkle as the school's next head basketball coach on Monday, a columnist for the Portland Oregonian reported Sunday night.

John Canzano tweeted that Oregon State would make the announcement on Monday. CBSsports.com posted a short story, confirming the Oregonian's report.

Tinkle and Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins had been considered finalists for the job. Other candidates were former California assistant Travis DeCuire and Arizona assistant Damon Stoudamire.

Hopkins had interviewed with Oregon State athletic director Bob De Carolis last week, according to a source.

The same source told the Syracuse Post-Standard on Sunday that if Oregon State made an announcement on Monday, Tinkle, not Hopkins, would be the choice.

hi-res-44128abb7f07f438823e2a20a76032ff_crop_north.jpg

TE Thinks He is Definitely the Best PG in the 2014 NBA Draft (BE; Babb)

'Definitely,' Ennis said without hesitation when asked if he’s the best point guard in the class. 'I think I have the ability to lead a team, I think I have the ability to make others better and I think I’m able to put those together into a true point guard, who is also able to score when my team needs me. There are a lot of guys who can really score the ball, maybe some who can score better than me, but none that can put together the whole package as a point guard better than I can in this draft.'

Gonzaga Lands USC Transfer (Seattle Times; Withers)
Inevitably, expectations are going to climb for Gonzaga, which has had that odd duality in recent years — capable of winning a tough first NCAA game — only Syracuse and Kansas have matched GU’s stretch of six straight years winning games in the tournament — but failing to get to the Sweet 16 since 2009. Wesley’s addition and the recruitment of standout Lithuanian Domas Sabonis means the bar is going to be set high for the Zags.

Recruiting
IMG_8776.jpg

Sweet Shooting Jamel Murray

Illinois Recruiting: Illini's Top Target for Class of 2016 is Jamel Murray But There is a Problem (writingillini.com; Widmer)

Groce has three open scholarships for the 2016-17 season, but only one will go to a 2016 recruit because two of those three open scholarships will go to 2015 recruits or transfers (two open spots for the 2015-16 season).

So, barring anyone leaving early or getting suspended, Coach Groce has only one scholarship to deal out to a 2016 recruit.

There’s no doubt that the top target for Groce from the 2016 class is point guard Jamal Murray, but he is heavily interested in Syracuse at this time.

Highlights from Day 2 of Nike EYBL (csnbaltimore.com; Martin)

On the subject of TTO, Syracuse commit Franklin Howard did not play in either game for Team Takeover on Sunday, instead sitting on the bench in non-uniform clothing. The reason for his absence was undisclosed.

Team SCAN, hailing from New York City, won all four games in Hampton. They are helped along by a strong front line that includes Cheick Diallo and Thomas Bryant. Both are Top 15-caliber players in the class.

Other

9609098-small.jpg

Buy Local, Campaign to Start for CNY (PS; Cazentre)

'Buy Local' has been such a hot concept in the food world for the past few years that it seems hard to imagine what the idea might have looked like almost a quarter century ago.

Except in Syracuse, where local advertising exec Bill Le Mon has been promoting an annual campaign called "The Cart Starts Here" since 1990.

It works like this: Le Mon recruits a group of local food makers -- familiar names like Byrne Dairy, Gianelli Sausage, Plainville Turkey, Terrell's Potato Chips etc. -- to join in. Their products are shown in a series of public service announcements on local TV. In return, the food makers agree to buy a series of ads.

This year, the public service spot features County Executive Joanie Mahoney standing with a shopping cart full of local grocery items on a hill near Burnet Park Zoo, overlooking the downtown skyline. She urges people to support the local brands.

The public service ad for 2014, produced by and running on the CNYCentral stations, starts this week.

Tomcat, thank you for filling in for OE. Just one little request. Please, please, please refrain from posting pictures of that Godawful costume the team wore against BC.

That uniform is why we didn't go undefeated this year. It was so ugly it broke our mojo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom