More bad news | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More bad news

the issue at Wake was play calling more than the wind.. Coaches learned a bit from that game.

People used to say that after every Shafer game. I think this staff is a lot smarter so let’s hope so.

Being one dimensional only hurts if the one dimension is being stopped.

Yeah, that was implied. But I’d prefer to not worry as much about the pass, wouldn’t you?

You can think it's matchups if you want. I think we play like dog spit outside the dome in bad weather regardless of the opponent and have for as long as I can remember.

Sound judgement. Maybe if just give up on all our poor weather games we’ll be more fresh for the end of the year.

Familiar position as a cuse fan -- late season, need a win against a tough opponent, injuries are taking their toll & we can all see the writing on the wall. It would be great for the program to win this game but this tune is too familiar. In fact a few people here suggested at the beginning of the season that this is where we end up every year until depth improves.

when your 69th in rushing and 14th in passing i would say Yea, I worry about the weather.
Makes sense. It's still embarrassing. Football is a nearly all weather sport.

Sound judgement. Maybe if just give up on all our poor weather games we’ll be more fresh for the end of the year.
While I admire your attempt at the dramatic, logically speaking it falls short. I never implied we should forfeit any games. Some people were trying to convince themselves that somehow a bad weather game on the road favors us. I brought up the 9pt performance against Wake last year in similar conditions at which point you pinned the blame on matchups/strengths and I disagreed saying we never play well in those types of conditions. How that translates to wanting to forfeit I have no idea, but feel free to explain if you must.

50-60 MPH winds and rain far different than 10-30 MPH due tomorrow.

While I admire your attempt at the dramatic, logically speaking it falls short. I never implied we should forfeit any games. Some people were trying to convince themselves that somehow a bad weather game on the road favors us. I brought up the 9pt performance against Wake last year in similar conditions at which point you pinned the blame on matchups/strengths and I disagreed saying we never play well in those types of conditions. How that translates to wanting to forfeit I have no idea, but feel free to explain if you must.

I can't and won't speak for "some people" - but I will defend my position. I wasn't saying it favored us. I was saying it hurts both teams and helps both teams. The OP made is sound like all bad news for us. It's not. If both teams have a tough time passing, it makes both teams more predictable and blunts their attacks. Both teams have got average to poor defenses. So maybe scoring is blunted a bit.

As to your point - that we play like "dog spit" outside - I mean - yeah - we're better at home in perfect conditions. But we've won games outside, no? You got some middle ground in the there somewhere? Nuance?

You said "you can play matchups if you want" like matchups get trumped by bad weather. They don't. Especially since I was giving my opinion on how the weather affects those matchups. So if you think matchups don't matter and get 100% trumped by bad weather and are not worth talking about since we play like "dog spit" in bad weather - then I was following that line of thinking to the logical conclusion: why play in bad weather at all if we can't strategize or take advantage of anything and play poorly no matter what - why risk injury?

why play in bad weather at all if we can't strategize or take advantage of anything and play poorly no matter what - why risk injury?

Because we are in a conference and are contracted to? If you forfeit games then recruits don't show? If you start a season 0-6 then your fanbase doesn't show? If teams could play all of their games at home then they would. It's better for the students academically, better for the school financially, etc. But it's not realistic, doesn't mean people can't point out that we play like crap in rainy, windy weather. Stop acting like you found some fool proof argument when all you are really doing is asking a completely ridiculous question. And sorry but if you really want details then fine:

Heisman dual-threat QB forced to run vs hobbled ED or Sgt Statue.

Adv - Ville

Because we are in a conference and are contracted to? If you forfeit games then recruits don't show? If you start a season 0-6 then your fanbase doesn't show? If teams could play all of their games at home then they would. It's better for the students academically, better for the school financially, etc. But it's not realistic, doesn't mean people can't point out that we play like crap in rainy, windy weather. Stop acting like you found some fool proof argument when all you are really doing is asking a completely ridiculous question. And sorry but if you really want details then fine:

Heisman dual-threat QB forced to run vs hobbled ED or Sgt Statue.

Adv - Ville

I was playing by your logic there. Goodness.

I think it matters and I think it’s okay to wonder how that matchups work given the conditions on a message board. I don’t think it’s automatically advantage Louisville.

I do think “we suck in bad weather” is a cop out.

I was playing by your logic there. Goodness.

I think it matters and I think it’s okay to wonder how that matchups work given the conditions on a message board. I don’t think it’s automatically advantage Louisville.

I do think “we suck in bad weather” is a cop out.
We can't run the ball man. And Strickland, our best guy running the ball may be out... The bad weather does not help Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom