More reliance on our second half offense versus UVA? | Syracusefan.com

More reliance on our second half offense versus UVA?

Orangemen

All Conference
I'm not as strong as many here are at the nuts and bolts of basketball offensive and defensive sets, but it seemed to me that we did much more off ball screening and driving to the hoop during the uva game than we normally do.

Im used to the high screen offense that we tried in the first half, but the second half offense seemed different.

Do you think we see more of this on Saturday night? Malachi and G have pretty strong to the basket games. Cooney even is more effective than he looks at this. Throw in the potential for foul trouble on the bigs and the option of kickout threes for Lydon and it seems like a great plan for UNC.

What kind of offense do you expect.

And where is the General, I need his breakdown.

I hope we see more of the 2nd half offense and less of the 1st. I don't get why Cooney can't get a stand still setup open 3 from all these drives and kickouts. Why can Lydon/G/Mali get those open shots but not Cooney? Is the opposing team that focused on stoping Cooney despite his poor shooting %?

I'm not as strong as many here are at the nuts and bolts of basketball offensive and defensive sets, but it seemed to me that we did much more off ball screening and driving to the hoop during the uva game than we normally do.

Im used to the high screen offense that we tried in the first half, but the second half offense seemed different.

Do you think we see more of this on Saturday night? Malachi and G have pretty strong to the basket games. Cooney even is more effective than he looks at this. Throw in the potential for foul trouble on the bigs and the option of kickout threes for Lydon and it seems like a great plan for UNC.

JB even mentioned that in one of his pressers. While everyone thought the press was the end all be all and that's why cuse won.
It definitely helped, but UVa beat the press but didn't slow down back to their game. Combine their misfortunes with our excellent offensive effort (we finally made our shots) and great D and you have the W

Orangemen said:

I think it depends on how UNC plays the ball screens. UVA hedges the ball screens really hard, which threw off our timing and spacing of our offense. 2nd half boeheim set screens away from the ball, allowing guys like malachi to play 1 on 1. Hitting our shots didn't hurt either.

I think you'll see more off ball screens than on ball screens against North Carolina . . . much like the second half against Virginia.

Even though off ball screens worked better against Virginia, I don't think they are any better than on ball screens, and I don't think using them gives us any particular advantage. I just think the pressure D UNC plays is better exploited with off ball screens. Plus, if I remember correctly, that's how we attacked them early in the year.

I think UNC puts Johnson in the high post, one of the myriad of bigs in the low post, and Page, Berry, and Jackson out beyond the 3 point line.

Syracuse will pay a lot of attention to Johnson and keep a guard in the high post, giving 3 point shooters more space. Our forwards are going to have to close hard on Berry and Page, and close more cautiously against Jackson who is most dangerous driving the lane and throwing up floaters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom