Most embarrassing stat I've ever seen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Most embarrassing stat I've ever seen

The SU women are 45th nationally in assists and the SU men are 295th. Maybe we should hire Coach Q as a consultant to help our coaches do their job.
They have the nation's leader in assists, who has only 18 less than the entire men's team...

I'd like to see repeated evidence of that before I write off that option.

What I see now is Chukwu rolling to the rim and Battle and Howard (like Ennis and Joseph and Gbinije and Gillon before them) not even looking in his direction when the big defender hedges the screen.

If our guard tried to make that pass and it kept rattling off Chukwu's hands, or he traveled a lot, or he blew every dunk he tried, I'd agree that it's not an option. But right now I'd love to see us just attempt the simple pick-and-roll that was an integral part of the simple Boeheim offense up until four or five years ago.

Knew the guy could do it - love to see the pick and roll. With an anemic offense, we need all the free buckets we can get. Since the other team's not guarding Chukwu when he rolls, let's try it again.

In our two games this year, UVA had 34 assists and we had 9.

In our two games this year, UVA had 34 assists and we had 9.

And they do it with players like Guy who wouldn't start for this Syracuse team.

Can't help but be frustrated by yesterday's game. It wasn't difficult to see that result coming, but it's still frustrating.

I thought the first 3 min of the game we had some of the best ball movement of the year

If coach does not sit down and show team video of that stretch and inform team if you do not share ball like that you sit. Play all Walkons if needed. If he does not make a drastic statement then he is making a mistake. He does not need to yell just send them to bench even if for 2 min

The lack of ball movement is embarrassing

I thought the first 3 min of the game we had some of the best ball movement of the year

If coach does not sit down and show team video of that stretch and inform team if you do not share ball like that you sit. Play all Walkin’s if needed. The lack of ball movement is embarrassing

I said in the GT game he should invoke Coach Norman Dale from “Hoosiers” rule of a minimum of 4 passes every time down the court.

You're correct. However, it has been more than just a "rough year." It appears, at best, we are yet again a bubble team and it's taking its toll a bit. If we fail to make the tourney again this year, it'll be 3 out of the last 4. Yes, I'm well aware we went to the Final Four the one year in there we made it, I was there in Houston, and the run was incredible. But even then, most thought we were out after losing to a mediocre Pitt team for the 3rd time that season, miraculously we got in...as a 10 seed, a 10 seed.

Even though I've tried to prepare myself mentally for this horror show of a season, I find myself still having to cover my eyes for the frequent scary scenes, even though I've seen this same flick over and over and over... :(

Calling us a bubble team, I’m afraid, is overstating our chances. I sure hope I’m wrong. But I don’t think I am. Any team with quick guards and good interior defense will eat us alive

Calling us a bubble team, I’m afraid, is overstating our chances. I sure hope I’m wrong. But I don’t think I am. Any team with quick guards and good interior defense will eat us alive

You're quoting a post of mine that was made on the 9th of January. Fast forward 3 & 1/2 weeks or so to today, and yes, we have further slid...we are now clearly off of it, and on the outside looking in. With our upcoming schedule much tougher, and our weaknesses clearly now exposed 1/2 way through conference play, with really no options, it will get worse before it gets any better in my opinion.

I said in the GT game he should invoke Coach Norman Dale from “Hoosiers” rule of a minimum of 4 passes every time down the court.

They do that often. But they just pass up bad shots for horrendous shots as the shot clock dwindles down. Rinse and repeat.

I liked healthy Sidibe in November more as an overall player than Thompson. No, he can’t face and shoot like Thompson, but he showed some scoring ability inside, defensive potential(something TT didn’t show) and good shot selection. He had the look of a guy who would be a rock solid two way center IMO. Hopefully he can get healthy and progress his game.

Me too, especially when you factor in the team disharmony TT was causing (if true, obviously).

elvir was 14/40 (35%) one year. hit 37 treys here. not bad for a seven footer.

One night I was walking home solo from the bars and Elvir was outside of Acropolis with a guy who worked there (might have been the owner) and as I walked up Elvir tapped his buddy to get his attention, "like check this out", and as I got close to them Elvir said "Hey man, what do you think of Juventus?" Clearly he expected me to not know what he was talking about, and without breaking stride I said "Not bad, but Man U is way better." He had a shocked look on his face and the guy he was with started laughing. It is right up there with one of my heckles getting a big laugh from JB Reafsnyder when he was back for a game after he graduated and was sitting a few seats down from me in the student section.

E: For context this was probably around 1996 or 1997 and international club soccer was barely a blip on the sports radar in this country.

Decent soph. year i guess. 37% from the field in his career, which is really bad for a 7 footer. 24% from 3 for his career which maybe is better than most 7 footers could do, but unfortunately it wasn’t good enough to justify shooting them. His game drove me nuts as an upperclassman.

rony never hit one. arinze never hit one . forth , rakim or dc3 never hit one. 37 is pretty damn good !
(esp as he agvd only 13 minutes a game.)
response was to euros couldn't shoot. well elvir was our best distance range true center.

Last edited:
rony never hit one. arinze never hit one . forth , rakim or dc3 never hit one. 37 is pretty damn good !
(esp as he agvd only 13 minutes a game.)
response was to euros couldn't shoot. well elvir was our best distance range true center.

Tyler Lydon disagrees.

i said TRUE CENTER. never was and never will be. another case of JB playing a dude OOP.

In fairness to JB and the coaches there was the Coleman issue not being healthy again. Chukwu goes down as well. Diagne never making it here hurt as well and all contributed to Lydon playing C.

i said TRUE CENTER. never was and never will be. another case of JB playing a dude OOP.

1. JB had no choice due to injuries.

2. Given that Elvir didn’t rebound, defend, score inside and always wanted to take 3’s and throw passes away from the top of the key: what made him a “true center”? Being 7 feet?

well JB has plugged any number of players into the middle of that zone. ( including marek dolezaj yesterday)
that still doesn't mean you're a true center . lydon was not a true center. or DC. they were PFs playing out of position.
and btw my new nickname for mickyd is " da brat" . we made over 50 homemade bratwurst and pretzel rolls yesterday for the Super Bowl and one of my fellow stuffers pointed out he was from bratislovisa (sp.?) hands in the air.

Last edited:
assist totals correlate highly with shooting percentage

You're quoting a post of mine that was made on the 9th of January. Fast forward 3 & 1/2 weeks or so to today, and yes, we have further slid...we are now clearly off of it, and on the outside looking in. With our upcoming schedule much tougher, and our weaknesses clearly now exposed 1/2 way through conference play, with really no options, it will get worse before it gets any better in my opinion.

I’m sorry. I wasn’t calling you out in any way. I’m just saying that we’re playing in the Dome late March and MSG at best.

The SU women are 45th nationally in assists and the SU men are 295th. Maybe we should hire Coach Q as a consultant to help our coaches do their job.

I’d take some of their players for sure. They have some talent on that squad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom