Most iconic SU games in Dome era | Syracusefan.com

Most iconic SU games in Dome era

Eric15

Living Legend
In my opinion, these are the "big seven" iconic SU home football games of the Dome era. Meaning games that will be talked about for generations and bring out a visceral sense of nostalgia with SU football fans.

1984 Nebraska
1987 Penn State
1987 West Virginia
1992 Miami
1998 Virginia Tech
1998 Miami
2017 Clemson

Honorable mention: 1991 Florida, 1992 Texas, 1994 Oklahoma, 1998 Tennessee, 1999 Michigan, 2001 Auburn, 2002 Virginia Tech, 2011 West Virginia

The very first game I ever attended was West Virginia. Sat right behind McPherson's parents. Ahhhhhhh. He came up to hug his folks after the game. I was a very new fan, so probably didn't quite appreciate the awesomeness of it all. However, time has really put a glow on that memory!

LOL we haven't had an "iconic" dome game in twenty years.

I do actually believe that.

You’re underestimating the Florida game. They came in #2 or 3, against a very good Syracuse team that was ranked in the top 20, maybe like 13th. On the opening kickoff, we did a reverse & Kirby Dar Dar took it to the house. No one sat again. The loudest that dome has ever been over the course of the entire game. We won by like 31-13 & Spurrier said later that it was the loudest road venue he’d ever been a part of.

I would add 2016 VT to the honorable mention list.

You’re underestimating the Florida game. They came in #2 or 3, against a very good Syracuse team that was ranked in the top 20, maybe like 13th. On the opening kickoff, we did a reverse & Kirby Dar Dar took it to the house. No one sat again. The loudest that dome has ever been over the course of the entire game. We won by like 31-13 & Spurrier said later that it was the loudest road venue he’d ever been a part of.

I was on the fence about that game. I wouldn't disagree with including it. They were #5.

Agree. Eric’s list is excellent but this game deserves to be on the main list, I would take out 1998 Miami. Great job on it, E.

I'd add #9 Lville led by Teddy Bridgewater in 2012 to the Honorable Mentions list.

I was on the fence about that game. I wouldn't disagree with including it. They were #5.

I had customers with me from the Maryland area that were PSU alumni. To this day, they say it was the most remarkable sporting event they ever witnessed. And they have been to many college & sports venues. If you weren’t there, you really wouldn’t know. These was a noise barometer at the dome then & it stayed maxed out throughout the game. Most of the games you mentioned had loud moments, or phenomenal finishes, but no way were they as consistently as loud as the entire Florida game. The opening kickoff set the stage & the crowd literally never sat again. I lost my voice before the end of the 1st quarter.

Great list. We had a 15 year run between 1987-2001 that was fun as all hell. Then a 15 year run that was...not. Hope last night was the official start of the next 15 year run of awesomeness.